Will California force a fix before the last date to accept the settlement?

10000ft

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S - Diesels I've had: 2000 Golf TDI, '86 Mercedes 240D, '75 Toyota Landcruiser, 2000 F250
Financially I believe it makes the most sense for me to hang on to my 2015 TDI Sportwagen until the last possible moment (December 2018) before accepting the settlement. I know I'm absorbing the risk of totaling it, but I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on if California will deny new registration or try and force the cars off the road sooner than later if they haven't received the modification.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Any state accepting any part of the settlement funds (which includes CA) agrees to not deny registration to affected vehicles due to the cheat code. So no, they will not deny registration or force the cars off the road, before or after December 2018.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
To be more specific, California can't legally get away with doing so in the end. Who knows what the 9th Circus would say and it might depend on how the Supremes sing though?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Keep in mind the 9th Circuit Court is a real, honest to god federal district court, not a California state court, with judges appointed by real, honest to god US presidents, not locally elected.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I thought it was higher than that...

In any event - I'd agree with the description - "the 9th Circus"......

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I'm going to bow out of this discussion as it is veering into forbidden territory and that is the only reason.

Aerorex

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
As mentioned, you can register (and sell) in the future if you don't want to sell to VW or have it fixed.

Here's what it says on the ARB's huge FAQ:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info/vw_faq.htm
What happens if I keep my vehicle and choose not to have it repaired?

The consent decree makes it very attractive for vehicle owners to participate in the buyback or keep the vehicle and have it modified. If the owner keeps the vehicle but chooses not to have it modified they can resell it when they choose.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm > Bob
Any state accepting any part of the settlement funds (which includes CA)
agrees to not deny registration to affected vehicles due to the cheat code.
So no, they will not deny registration or force the cars off the road, before or after December 2018.
Thank you very much for this input..