www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 8th, 2018, 06:57   #1
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.68L/100km on my 1st tank; now averaging 5.4L/100km (Sept 2014)
Default glow plug harness - plastic cracked.

I cracked the glow plug harness in a couple spots in my 12yr old 2006 Jetta TDI, when trying to remove it to diagnose a recent glow plug fault code.

It's not a high voltage application, I'm thinking of just giving it a coating of goop or something similiar to weatherproof the cracks...

Any suggestions?

Glow plug fault code is gone - it was a break in a wire from the ECU to the glow plug relay.
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 08:24   #2
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

If it were me, I'd just leave it as is until I replaced the harness.
06 Jetta TDI White w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG
06 Jetta TDI Black w/Beige Pkg 0 5MT
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 11:17   #3
sptsailing
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 typical, 38 minimum, but as high as 50

All of the insulation foam or whatever it is crumbled and fell off of the wires to my glow plugs. The car still runs great, so I am ignoring this condition. I have a new replacement engine wire harness, but am tired of working on cars at present and will only address issues once they become a problem.
sptsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 14:48   #4
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

It's easy to make a new harness. It cost me around 15 dollars to do it on my '06, and that includes the beer. You'll need bullet connectors, 12 or 14 gauge wire, heat shrink and solder skills. I cut apart the whole harness and wrote down which color wires goes to which glow plug. The whole thing can be performed in a half hour or less. I used western union splices and grease as overkill to make sure there was a solid connection when splicing the harness.