www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 5th, 2018, 14:04   #1
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Default Eureka, I found it! Biodiesel in Sparks!

I have always liked the idea of increased lubricity by a minimum blend of 2% Bio-D in my fuel. After much internet searching and phone calls to places that are listed as still selling Bio-D, they no longer exist it seems. I live south of Reno and there are no longer any sources nearby. I found out kind of by accident (okay it wasn't by accident, I did make some more calls) that there is Bio-D in Sparks at a Card Lock Station. To purchase Bio-D there, a card is required and that card requires an application and credit approval. So I am applying for a card and I will let you all know what is available after I get approved--I hope--.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 23:53   #2
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

There have been 40 views so far, does this mean there are TDI-ers around me I don't know about? If so, speak up.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:09   #3
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

I thought there was a Willie truck stop your way and I think a cardlock in Dayton that does bio.

Afaik safeway is supposed to run B10 At least in reno.

For 2%, make your own, isn't that hard
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 15:46   #4
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Anyone know of a place I can get B10 or B20 in Las Vegas?
Old November 8th, 2018, 00:11   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
For 2%, make your own, isn't that hard
As said above making a small quantity isn't hard. Use the Dr. Pepper method and virgin canola oil from the grocery store.

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/...ngasmallbatch/

For 2% you would only need about 3 oz per tank +/-. A gallon of oil should provide you many tanks worth. Everything you need can easily be found at Lowes, auto parts store and around the house.

Nice to know how to do even if you don't make and use large quantities.
Old November 8th, 2018, 09:21   #6
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

A solution in search of a problem. How many injections pumps does the average ALH go through in the life of the car?
Old November 8th, 2018, 09:45   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That wasn't the question though. Many people want to use an additive (commercial) even though in most cases there is no need, yet they like the idea. Same here for bio. The OP has been around here for 10 years so I presume they know what they are doing and why they are doing it. If the question had of been "Please talk me out of using bio!" your answer would have been spot on. Too bad it wasn't.
Old November 8th, 2018, 11:41   #8
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

I guess I just don't understand the extremes that people go through. Doing the Dr Pepper thing... around here you would get busted because they will think your doing a one pot Meth recipe.
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:18   #9
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Just put the oil and leave out the Dr Pepper . Much easier to put a bit of veggie oil in and lubricity is increased. Only issue with bio is swelling pump seals, not so bad at low mixture, veggie oil should be used if you can't find bio

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:51   #10
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
I guess I just don't understand the extremes that people go through. Doing the Dr Pepper thing... around here you would get busted because they will think your doing a one pot Meth recipe.
Not any more extreme than hunting down your favorite commercial diesel additive. People want what they want, even if it isn't needed. You can't get busted for making biodiesel, only if you are actually making meth. You may have to answer some questions though "if" you draw attention to yourself somehow. Doing this in the privacy of your own home I don't see how anyone would know. Nothing needed is out of the ordinary or on any list that I am aware of.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roebic-Labo...ystals/4751600

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/he...water-remover/
Old November 9th, 2018, 21:42   #11
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

First off, thanks to all who responded, and it isn't just about saving the IQ as they do last a long time even with the low lubricity, low sulphur, D2 fuel that is generally available for on road vehicles. I guess veggie oil is always an option, but it would not be my first. My tank and fuel lines are crystal clear and I know that is is due to the Bio-D I used to run. I do appreciate the link to making my own Bio-D, and I have the background to actually make it without hurting myself or anyone else in the neighborhood, I just won't...
Lightflyer, please tell me where my math is wrong if you would: 15 gallons (x) 4 quarts per gallon is 60 quarts or 1,920 ounces, right? If 10% is 192 ounces, and 1% is 19.2 ounces, wouldn't 2% be 38.4 ounces or just a bit over 1 quart? Thank you for your patience. ;-)
Old November 9th, 2018, 23:31   #12
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Your math is right. Decimal point error and not rechecking my work.
Old November 10th, 2018, 08:23   #13
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
I guess veggie oil is always an option, but it would not be my first.
Would be better to do on a long trip where bio isn't available if you're running a percentage at home. Just helps maintain the pump seals when forced to go without for a bit

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 21:12   #14
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Wouldn't making Tequila or Mezcal be a more socially responsible use of Agave than making BioD?
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 21:21   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member