www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old September 17th, 2018, 19:51   #1126
kurtisk

The unit is from a 2015 Passat, 3C0035684 N is the part number. Currently it won't power on. I would like to know if it can be repaired.

Here is the saga:

Initially the unit started having problems with the unit not starting up properly, couldn't get to media and would ask for a navigation DVD. If I rebooted it (<>* buttons), it would start working properly. Seemed like a 'cold' vs 'warm' boot problem like I see on computers sometimes. Within a week or 2 it started working again and I thought it healed itself--I was even able to update the maps to the V11 with no problems. A month later, right after I ordered the SWL v5382 disk, it started acting up and then wouldn't even work when I reboot.

I tried to install the SWL v5382 with no success. Even the DVD seemed to have a problem. I received an error message:

SWL CD detected but invalid Clamp State - please remove the CD and either a) change the clamp state to Hour Mode and re-insert the CD or b) press any of the Menu buttons to continue with normal operation

Then it when through a phase of resisting taking the DVD, then not ejecting it until later in the week when my wife would drive the car. I forced the unit into SWL mode (eject+STAR+Guide), but I couldn't get it to take the disk. I pushed pretty hard and with wiggling can insert the disc manually, but the unit wont take it in, when driving the car I eventually get a "cd/dvd error, check cd/dvd" message. The unit was malfunctioning and the SSD did not seem to be functioning as the screen would say "insert a navigation DVD" or similar. If I press media, I would get the 'system starting' message that would never change. Radio worked, Backup camera worked, the phone worked, music on the SSD card would play when inserted, eventually the map nav buttons would sometimes come up with the request for a dvd (which I had but was reluctant to insert), but mostly the nav would move the blue bar to full as it loaded and then just hang there.

Reading led me to buy a new CD/DVD and hard drive. I chose a SSD with a PATA adapter. I tried both duplicating the original SSD (which worked inside my PC) to the new SSD and also leaving the new SSD unformated. (I reengineered the system to allow me to swap the HDD without disassembling the unit). The new drive behaved as the original. I couldn't get the SWL disk to run, even with the new drive--accepted the disk, but then acted like it couldn't read it.

Finally, I decided to buy a HDD for $16 for fun. After I installed this, the SWL disc started to run, but hung updating the HDD. I tried the original disc with no success. I put the new SDD in and it didn't work in either a duplicated or unformatted state. When I looked at the cheap amazon PATA adapter, I wondered if the pins were not getting inserted correctly (the RNS510 doesn't have the blocked pin to insure alignment). I inserted it 1 pin off and turned the unit on and it has not powered on since--I removed the new ssd and installed the original and the HDD, but the unit won't power on. I checked the fuse on the unit and the fuses in the box.

I suspect the main board is the problem, both before and after installing the new SSD one pin off. I suspect it is bricked and unrepairable. Any other suggestions? Anyone know someone who can fix it? hamilgs, is 'Peter' in your post the guy from the ebay link to seller 'extremenetwork'? (I have contacted them directly)

Last edited by kurtisk; September 17th, 2018 at 20:15. Reason: correction
kurtisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 14:13   #1127
csft84a

If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I have 2 quick questions regarding firmware, and would appreciate any help:

1) Is 5382 still the newest firmware version?

2) What is best source(s) for obtaining the firmware update discs?

Thank you.
csft84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 05:37   #1128
CrustyOreo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: GPM

So I got an RNS510 with no revision. Upgraded the maps using the DVD I bought as previously stated. Took awhile but it worked.

Put my "A" revision back in and it still gives a DVD update error. I also can't get into the test mode by holding the Setup button.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
1994 Chevy Corvette- SOLD!
1998 Red Beetle TDI- far from stock - SOLD!
CrustyOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 12:52   #1129
jaberoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csft84a View Post
If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I have 2 quick questions regarding firmware, and would appreciate any help:

1) Is 5382 still the newest firmware version?

2) What is best source(s) for obtaining the firmware update discs?

Thank you.
I followed post #1096 in this thread. I was very pleased with the results. You must determine which is the correct CD for your unit (SSD or Mechanical drive). The ebay source instructs you how to do this
Old November 5th, 2018, 16:05   #1130
Passaters

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Default Voice control functions RNS-510 Firmware Ver 5238

We recently purchased a 2012 Passat and a 2013 Passat. The 2013 Passat has firmware version 3696, which is as slow as molasses and the voice control only functions with the telephone. The 2012 Passat has firmware version 3690; the Nav is much faster to respond and the voice control works with the Nav.

Looking to update the firmware on the 2013 Passat to 5238 to improve the speed, but I wonder which functions voice control operates with the 5238 firmware update.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Passaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 17:15   #1131
tadawson
Veteran Member

You can turn on voice control on any version with VCDS. VW had disabled it on the 2013 (at least, and beyond) due to their having issues with it, but I have turned it back on.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 10:55   #1132
JoshMcMadMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passaters View Post
We recently purchased a 2012 Passat and a 2013 Passat. The 2013 Passat has firmware version 3696, which is as slow as molasses and the voice control only functions with the telephone. The 2012 Passat has firmware version 3690; the Nav is much faster to respond and the voice control works with the Nav.

Looking to update the firmware on the 2013 Passat to 5238 to improve the speed, but I wonder which functions voice control operates with the 5238 firmware update.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
I am in Waynesboro PA. I have a VCDS you can buy or borrow if you want.
JoshMcMadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 14:49   #1133
Passaters

Default Update from 3696 to 5382

Do I understand correctly that with a 2013 Passat with firmware version 3696 (guessing unit E-J) that I could only update to 4366 and not 5382?

Has anyone had this firmware update performed at the dealership? Iíve called two dealerships and am getting nowhere. One dealership doesnt know what version of firmware they have and whether they can update mine from 3696. At the second dealership, the service manager has said that they have never updated firmware before on an RNS-510, donít know the answer, and I am recommended to bring the car in for half a day.

Finally, VW Customer Care couldnít assist and recommended that I take the car in for diagnosis. It seems silly that I would have to pay for a diagnosis to learn what I already know, that the firmware needs updating.

If anyone has had the work performed at a dealership, can you kindly share your experience and the cost?

TIA
Old November 8th, 2018, 03:02   #1134
BarryT82
Veteran Member

You can update the firmware yourself. Here recently released a new map update
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 06:07   #1135
Passaters

Default Update firmware from 3696

Iím looking to update the firmware, not maps. The navigation updates on vw.navigation.com wonít fix the bugs with version 3696, would it?
Old November 8th, 2018, 06:55   #1136
dna007

Fuel Economy: Much lower than TDI

Finally after 3 years "Here Maps" former "Navteq" decided to release new maps on October 21st 2018

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8534
Date: 16.5.2018
db: NA(2018Q1)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.810.2.84
Customer Version: V12
Customer: 1627386654
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2018020002
SVD: EDB_20180214
TMC: 20180112
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.36_V7.13_V8.22_V10.13_basename_poi_on_route

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

-Cheers,

Peter
ExtremeNetwork
dna007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 10:43   #1137
Passaters

Has anyone had their RNS-510 firmware updated from their 2013 Passat firmware 3696 performed at the dealership? If so, what was the cost?

Any chance that updating the maps would speed up the responsiveness?

TIA
Old November 9th, 2018, 09:55   #1138
Passaters

Default Technical service Bulletin TT-91-13-01

Does anyone have a spare copy of the firmware update DVD for the Technical
service Bulletin TT-91-13-01 (from Sept 2013)? Or know where one can be procured?

We just bought a CPO 2013 VW Passat SEL Premium, and the navigation system is as slow as molasses and freezes constantly.

Neither the previous owner, nor the dealership apparently uploaded the free DVD from VW Customer Care for the service bulletin in order to correct the speed and responsiveness of the RNS-510. We werenít given the DVD upon purchasing the vehicle either.

I have a copy of the September 2013 letter from VW to Passat owners regarding the Technical Service Bulletin with the instructions on how to upload the Navigation DVD, but neither VW Customer Care nor the dealerships
in my area can help me to procure a copy of the free DVD. VW Customer Care recommends that I take it to the dealer for a diagnosis ($159), but VW has already diagnosed the problem in 2013 and provides a free DVD to correct the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:24   #1139
JoshMcMadMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passaters View Post
Has anyone had their RNS-510 firmware updated from their 2013 Passat firmware 3696 performed at the dealership? If so, what was the cost?

Any chance that updating the maps would speed up the responsiveness?

TIA
Just do it yourself.
https://www.my-gti.com/3868/volkswag...oad-repository
JoshMcMadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 18:21   #1140
Passaters

Iím very happy to do it myself following the Technical Service Bulletin. Iím not interested in taking any risks and bricking the system.

Iím looking for the firmware update DVD referenced in TSB TT-91-13-01. Thanks.