Exhaust options?

CodyPD06

TDI
2006 Jetta PD
Im curious, has anyone put a pipe through their cat to pass inspections but keep it straight piped? I was thinking about this and making it so I can put my muffler back on when it's time for inspections. Or is this just a waste of time?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On the BRM, it is a waste of time. The catalyst IS the downpipe, and it has a band clamp type attachment to the turbo. There is not much of any restriction in it to begin with, so it isn't really like it adds any power to remove it.

You can run a straight pipe out the back if you want a little more sound, but not sure in your area if inspections mean a "muffler" has to be in place or not. The turbocharger chops up most of the sound anyway, so even with no mufflers, it isn't like it is going to fail any decibel thresholds in place.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Im curious, has anyone put a pipe through their cat to pass inspections but keep it straight piped? I was thinking about this and making it so I can put my muffler back on when it's time for inspections. Or is this just a waste of time?
The local tuner here cuts the pipe where it comes out and then knocks the guts out and welds it back together. It may need tuning to work correctly, though I'm not really sure. I'm getting ready to put an aftermarket downpipe on mine, but I have no emissions tests here.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

CodyPD06

TDI
2006 Jetta PD
The local tuner here cuts the pipe where it comes out and then knocks the guts out and welds it back together. It may need tuning to work correctly, though I'm not really sure. I'm getting ready to put an aftermarket downpipe on mine, but I have no emissions tests here.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk
I don't have to do emissions, but I have to do visual inspection. So I was wondering if I could make it look like I have all my emissions stuff just for inspections then just go back to nit having a muffler. Oh well

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do not know what Utah's rules are, but emissions components do NOT include a muffler. So if you require a muffler, it is due to noise or safety or something else generally. A muffler doesn't change the exhaust content from an emissions standpoint.

On the BRM, with software alone, you can get a 50% increase in [maximum] engine output. Catalyst intact and all.