What oil do you use for your TDI?

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Hello there.
I had a VIP service thing from the VW dealer I bought my TDi, however they are 150 miles away.
They said I can go to Ford dealer which is also one of their dealers,under same company name, 60 miles away from me. They said if I call ahead they will make sure,or order, they have OEM parts and oil for my oil change.
That did not sound good to me,I can not trust Ford dealer for servicing my TDI.
My oil change is due in 2k miles.
I made my research I decided to get Manual Oil Extractor instead of going underneath the car,since I do not have a garage or driveway.
For oil I checked some post and some outdated posts show that
Edge Professional Long Life Full Synthetic Engine Oil (5w-30) - 1Quart-Castrol

This oil is recommended by many drivers. How many liters do I need?
Shell or any other brands, do they have something better?
Where do you guys get your engine oil? From the dealer?
Thanks!
-----------------------------------
Added:
I found this file, created by VW dealer. All approved oils.
Just need to look at the page where the header is 507.00
https://docdro.id/z2RgbD9

Looks like some of them are unavailable as this list is from 2012.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
liqui moly...top tec 4200,, available at napa..use it in all my tdi's and customers

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Hello there.
I had a VIP service thing from the VW dealer I bought my TDi, however they are 150 miles away.
They said I can go to Ford dealer which is also one of their dealers,under same company name, 60 miles away from me. They said if I call ahead they will make sure,or order, they have OEM parts and oil for my oil change.
That did not sound good to me,I can not trust Ford dealer for servicing my TDI.
My oil change is due in 2k miles.
I made my research I decided to get Manual Oil Extractor instead of going underneath the car,since I do not have a garage or driveway.
For oil I checked some post and some outdated posts show that
Edge Professional Long Life Full Synthetic Engine Oil (5w-30) - 1Quart-Castrol
This oil is recommended by many drivers. How many liters do I need?
Shell or any other brands, do they have something better?
Where do you guys get your engine oil? From the dealer?
Thanks!
If someone has NMS Passat would be much more helpful as some people say that 2009+ TDI have differences?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If someone has NMS Passat would be much more helpful as some people say that 2009+ TDI have differences?
You do realize that any TDI 2009 or newer will use the same oil as you, right? So you don't need responses from NMS Passats only.

The only thing that will be different is the capacity .

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
'09-14 4 cylinder TDis have the same capacity, too. '15s take about 3/4 liter more. Filter for the NMS are different from the Jetta/Golf/NB.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
You do realize that any TDI 2009 or newer will use the same oil as you, right? So you don't need responses from NMS Passats only.
The only thing that will be different is the capacity .
Gotcha. Still learning..
Thanks!

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30

Walmart # 575222262 - $22.68 (5 Qts)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not just any Total Quartz, but Total Quartz INEO Long Life. And although Pennzoil Platinum Euro is a good oil and probably fine for your '13, it doesn't have VW's 507.00 certification, if that matters to the OP.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
No concern at all that it does not have VW's spec.
I am at 290k on the original dpf and have used it since the first oil change.
Order it online at walmart and it is delivered to my door with free shipping.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
No concern at all that it does not have VW's spec.
I am at 290k on the original dpf and have used it since the first oil change.
Order it online at walmart and it is delivered to my door with free shipping.
Wow. Way to go!
Thanks for sharing your experience, I will check it out:)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Also note, your car needs a tire rotation every time it needs an oil change, as well as some other items. I would strongly advise you to read the manual for any other items that should be addressed and when they are performed.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Also note, your car needs a tire rotation every time it needs an oil change, as well as some other items. I would strongly advise you to read the manual for any other items that should be addressed and when they are performed.
Thanks for reminding! It needs tire rotation for sure, changed fuel filter 300 miles ago, I will check the manual for sure. !:)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yeah my local store was order online and same day pick up only, they didn't have any instock, sale ended on the 31st, sorry for not mentioning it earlier.

Originally I ordered 12L but then placed another order the next day for another 12L.

I think it was a general M1 sale they extended to ESP which typically is always excluded from M1 sales.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
https://www.amazon.com/TOTAL-188058...d_r=H9PXE31SMK498C18RSEK&psc=1&qid=1573655672

110.86 = $36.95 each for 3 pack of 5 quart if you have free shipping is the best deal i have been able to find. This has been my go to oil for over 150k, with zero issues.

Its kind of like the ol rotella in the A4, it was good and cheap and everyone tried to over complicate everything by buying products that cost $10-$20 more per oil change.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
https://www.idparts.com/total-quartz-9000-energy-5w40-quart-p-1908.html Just sayin'. $5 shipping regardless of quantity ordered.
This is the passat 2012+ forum correct? not all passats...

I always prefer to buy from ID parts but that oil does not come up when you enter you vehicle oil because is is not approved for the B7 passat... ineo long life comes up for $44.95 (which is what i linked to), the one you link to is not approved for B7 (specifically says a4, b3, b4).

If we were talking apple to apples comparison, and it was a few bucks per change i would buy from them... but we are talking $10 more per oil change for literally the exact same product.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My bad, I saw Quartz in the url, didn't click through. Oil names are ridiculously similar. Think Castrol Syntec, or Mobil 1. That is a good price.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
https://www.amazon.com/TOTAL-188058...d_r=H9PXE31SMK498C18RSEK&psc=1&qid=1573655672

110.86 = $36.95 each for 3 pack of 5 quart if you have free shipping is the best deal i have been able to find. This has been my go to oil for over 150k, with zero issues.

15 qts is only 14.19L. That napa sale had 12L for only 65.88, or 32.94 for 6L.

I did use Total but if I can find a cheaper oil i'm not gonna pass it up (Even when i buy 40K maintenance kits from IDParts it sitll works out quite well).

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
NAPA mystery oil, wonder who supplies it to them?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ashland Oil used to supply a variety of house labeled motor oils (they were the company behind the Valvoline brand). However, they spun off Valvoline as their own entity a couple years ago, so I do not know if Ashland still continues to provide products to others, or if technically Valvoline Inc. does so independently.

JD Streett, Warren Oil Co. and others are also common house label suppliers for motor oil (like Walmart and Autozone house label stuff).

Last edited:

22eco

TDI
13 Passat SE
LiquiMoly TopTec 4200 is what I’ve been using with a Wix filter.. $65 for an oil change is not too bad..