13 Passat water pump failure after heater core replacement

dak503

TDI
2013 passat se
I had to bring my TDI in to the dealer for it's 3rd heater core. When I got the car home I noticed the fluid was low. I just figured they was air in the system. So topped it off a few times. I could smell antifreeze but I couldn't see any leaks. I didn't use the car for about a week. Came out one morning to a puddle under my car. Water pump failed at 108k. I reluctantly called the dealer because we had words over them talking my wife into letting them do the 100k Service on my car With 108k on it. That I did at 100k when it was supposed to be done. They charged her over 400.00 All that had to is check the maintenance minder. And see the service was up to date. Dealer told me if the check engine light isn't on. They couldn't fix it under the power train warranty. Indy is charging me 1300.00
for the whole TB service. Using all VW parts.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'm having extremely similar issues atm. I had no heat for a month or so, then my heater core went out. Dealer changed it and has not been able to fix my heat after 6 visits. They are putting fault on my thermastat right now for the no heat issue, but haven't said anything about the coolant leak.

As far as my coolant leak it first happened after my heater core went. They changed a hose on plastic piece going through firewall. A few days later I still had a leak, and it ended up being that plastic part that went through the firewall. At the same time I had a sensor go out (engine coolant sensor?). The dealer paid for that plastic piece and labor, then paid for labor on the sensor. I paid for the sensor and had it changed. After contacting VWoA, they are reimbursing me for the sensor, as I should have never been charged.

To my current situation. My heat still doesn't work, and I still have a coolant leak. The other two times it was a complete loss. I would immediately leak any coolant put into the car. This time it's a very slow leak. It'll take about a week for all the coolant to disappear. I have let the car sit over the weekend, but did not notice any coolant anywhere.

VWoA is going to see if they will cover my thermastat, since the dealer says that will fix my no heat issue. I don't think it will, but if they cover it, then no biggie. As far as the leak here again, they did not say anything.

If VWoA doesn't cover it, then I requested another dealer diagnos my car to confirm it is the thermastat that will fix all my issues. I will not go to my current dealer again if I have to pay anything out of pocket. I do not trust them anymore if I have to open my wallet.

If I'm having the same issue and it is my water pump, then that isn't covered under the emissions warranty is it? I'll keep an eye on my water pump to see if I can see anything leaking.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have a ‘14 Passat, after the heater core failed for the second time (1st - 41k 12/15, 2nd - 52k 10/17), I had it replaced under the warranty extension, about 10 days later I went to drive it, found a puddle under the car. Took it to the dealer, they pressure tested it, while not running it held pressure fine, while running it lost pressure and leaked at the water pump onto the timing belt and serpentine belt. Luckily, mine was under power train. It still occasionally smells like coolant, but it doesn’t loose any coolant, I have almost 80k now.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have a ‘14 Passat, after the heater core failed for the second time (1st - 41k 12/15, 2nd - 52k 10/17), I had it replaced under the warranty extension, about 10 days later I went to drive it, found a puddle under the car. Took it to the dealer, they pressure tested it, while not running it held pressure fine, while running it lost pressure and leaked at the water pump onto the timing belt and serpentine belt. Luckily, mine was under power train. It still occasionally smells like coolant, but it doesn’t loose any coolant, I have almost 80k now.

You may have gotten heater core replaced under the recall. I’m not so lucky, since mine is a 2015 and wasn’t included. I’m well past my power train warranty, so I would have to pay for my water pump if that is the issue for me also.

dak503

TDI
2013 passat se
The dealer told me if I had a CEL they would have covered the water pump. Smashed idk the warranty on a 2015. But if they changed the sensor you might have a case.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Sorry little off topic.
How do you tell your heater core is bad?
I have my car for about 6 months and I put 15.000 miles on it. But the heat is very strong so far. Well they replaced the ac evaporator 5k miles ago because it didn't blow cold air.
The heat makes it hot as hell so far.
Thanks!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Sorry little off topic.
How do you tell your heater core is bad?
I have my car for about 6 months and I put 15.000 miles on it. But the heat is very strong so far. Well they replaced the ac evaporator 5k miles ago because it didn't blow cold air.
The heat makes it hot as hell so far.
Thanks!
As you go across the car from left to right, the heat decreases to the point that it seems like you have the air conditioning turned on at the outer passenger vent. The coolant also changes color from pink to more of an orange color. If it goes far enough, it will cause a check engine light, i think the code is something related to the egr, but mine has not gone that far.