17" wheel replacement

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
According to my local shop I have a bent wheel causing a lot of vibration. Instead of them sending the wheel off to possibly have it straightened, I would rather just try to find a direct replacement. Are there any good resources out there for factory refurbs? What should I be looking to spend?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you know the name of the wheel style or have the VW part number, just do a search HERE.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you bent a 17" maybe it'd also be worth your time trying to source 16" or 15"

I've seen nothing but headaches larger wheels.

Datalore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI- SOLD, 2000 VW Beetle ALH- SOLD, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE DSG
According to my local shop I have a bent wheel causing a lot of vibration. Instead of them sending the wheel off to possibly have it straightened, I would rather just try to find a direct replacement. Are there any good resources out there for factory refurbs? What should I be looking to spend?
I just had my wheel fixed. Minor bend from a huge pothole that damaged the tire. Cost me $80 out the door. Might want to seriously consider that option as it should be considerably cheaper.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've also had decent luck with buying a 're-furbished' wheel from ebay, they seem to be 95% perfect and usually there's a "make and offer" option on the listing.

Got the wife an replacement Bristol after curbing and most shops up here charge $200+ to refinish 18"

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
How bad is the bend? Can you see it? I was told by dealership 3 of the wheels on a deiselgate car I bought out of state and had inspected were bent. It didn't bother me much but when I got home, I had all wheels balanced and lifetime 4 wheel alignment.... the balancing too ALL the shake out of the car. Might be worth a shot to have a good wheel/tire shop see if they can balance.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
One of my wheels is bent, I also have 17s. Mine is not bent badly, but they were able to balance it out at Americas Tire.. If it gets worse I am gonna be looking at aftermarket 17s that area a bit stronger.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
One of my wheels is bent, I also have 17s. Mine is not bent badly, but they were able to balance it out at Americas Tire.. If it gets worse I am gonna be looking at aftermarket 17s that area a bit stronger.
Bent as in out of true, or a dent in the rim? If the wheel is out of true and wobbling even a little, you will be scuffing the tread of the tire. Either jack up the car and spin the wheel, or have someone drive behind you to see if there's any wobble. Just my 2¢...

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
To me on the balancer when they showed me it seemed out of true. Tread seems to be fine as that was about 4.5k miles ago. I am about due for another rotation. And the car drives straight. So if it is out of true it is barely so, but enough to notice. The barrel itself did not seem to be bent anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I had a severely bent wheel when I bought my car, so bad that it looked like an oval, and caused a terrible resonation above 55mph. The dealer was obviously aware of this, because it had a TON of wheel weights on it and they had placed it on the rear passenger side... Anyway, I had good luck buying a refinished OEM wheel from a site called autorimshop. It was indeed a genuine VW wheel and I have had no trouble with it, the finish actually matched the other three quite well. If you can find a cheap set locally sometimes its worth the gamble to just buy the set and hope you end up with 4 good ones.