Fixing a wreck—airbag codes

tyees2002

TDI
2003 jetta manual
Have a 2000 golf that got in a fender bender. It was hit in left front, both front airbags deployed. Only one person in car at the time of wreck.

I have the following codes, just checking to make sure I have the right idea on necessary parts.

00595-crash data stored
01214- crash data for belt tensioner stored
00588- airbag igniter drivers side
00589- airbag igniter 1 passenger side
00655- seatbelt tensioner igniter: passenger side
00654- seatbelt tensioner igniter: drivers side

Am I correct in that I will need the front two bags, airbag controller, and the two tensioners?
There was no passenger in car but that tensioner still needs to be replaced based on the code?, ya?
The other question I had was about the crash sensors...i had thought they would come up in the vcds log. Any insight??

Thanks in advance fellas

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You may not need the controller module. After replacing the various affected bags and igniters the codes can be cleared. If I recall the module can continue to store and record more than one set of crash data.
Although, I wasn't sure (and opinions and/or facts were not conclusive) I replaced the module in the 2001 "jettawreck" project many years ago when I did it.

Last edited:

tyees2002

TDI
2003 jetta manual
You may not need the controller module. After replacing the various affected bags and igniters the codes can be cleared. If I recall the module can continue to store and record more than one set of crash data.
Although, I wasn't sure (and opinions and/or facts were not conclusive) I replaced the module in the 2001 "jettawreck" project many years ago when I did it.
Ya certainly alot of conflicting info. I think the general concensus is to replace though. I guess it wouldnt hurt to try the old one first.

Did you have to do anything with the crash sensors?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah..... your gonna have to replace the controller.
Some places say that they can reset them....... that I’m not sure about.
If you do change the controller make sure that the numbers all match along with with the letter code that’s in the corner, use the old one for reference.

As far as the sensors that I’m not sure.
Definitely have to replace both seat belt tensioners.
Both air bags drivers and passengers.

I went through this when I bought my youngest daughter a NB That had kissed a wall on the rh side.
It had blown both airbags and the drivers seat belt, the passenger seat belt didn’t blow.

I did a scan as you did and then pulled the old parts off, searched the parts for sale here and eBay and was able to get everything I needed for about $250-300 bucks.
Installed everything and did a new scan..... came back good with no issues....