www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old November 6th, 2019, 14:23   #421
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
Of course while it may have seemed that way to grandma, change has actually
accelerated during our generation's time. This will likely continue, barring a global
catastrophe.
Have you read Future Shock? Look around today. Plenty of people lost pace with this ever faster rate of change years ago!
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 17:07   #422
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
Have you read Future Shock? Look around today. Plenty of people lost pace with this ever faster rate of change years ago!
Yes, as a high school senior in 1970.
The rate of innovation has little to do with non-technical people losing pace with it.
Old November 8th, 2019, 14:11   #423
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Just remember that it was Bill Gates that said he could not see a point where people would need a personal computer. How many on here learned to program by punch tape and punch cards? Heaven help you if the tape ripped or you dropped your card deck. We had to have our deck to the reader by 45 minutes after the hour so they could input them and get a response by 15 after. You then had less than 30 minutes to find and fix your mistakes.
Old November 8th, 2019, 15:03   #424
atc98002
Veteran Member

My mom worked with punch cards in the '60s in the computer room at the phone company. The only air conditioned room in the entire building. When I was in high school in 1970 we had a keypunch machine in the back of the classroom, but they were being phased out by then. Of course, the federal government is slow to upgrade, so when I started as a controller in 1985 our IBM mainframe still ran our training scenarios via punch cards.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 11:09   #425
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Just remember that it was Bill Gates that said he could not see a point where people would need a personal computer. How many on here learned to program by punch tape and punch cards? Heaven help you if the tape ripped or you dropped your card deck. We had to have our deck to the reader by 45 minutes after the hour so they could input them and get a response by 15 after. You then had less than 30 minutes to find and fix your mistakes.
I was in on the transition while at college. At the start we used Fortran or Cobol and punch card with the university mainframe, univocal or unison as I called it. The PITA was always crashing. In the middle Apple started cutting a good deal with the Apple II. Towards the end the engineering department mandated Msdos computers using floppy discs. Go forward 35 years and I am typing this on an iMac after 37 years in Microhell.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 14:08   #426
Anomious

i want a new Q8, TDI!!
Anomious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 12:15   #427
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 6211 Miles - Avg on Computer 29.4 MPG

Hehe I would gladly take a 2020 euro sq5 tdi MHEV. The new ones average US mpg is 34.5 - 35.5 depending on options and mine is 27 US average and that's with it being 1.5s faster to 60... and its CO2 / mi is 279 and mine is 384... crazy
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote