1.8T Questions

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Work completed this weekend and carrying over into last night:
- upper suspension link (10 years of MN salt)
- outer tie rod end
- trans service
- timing belt
- cooling fan
- snub mount
- downpipe (PITA:mad:)

Whew! That and two ALH timing belts is enough for one weekend. :eek:

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
Great thread. I am thinking about picking up a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T 5speed wagon to replace my jetta. Its a single owner with 114,000 miles; I can't tell form the carfax if the TB, or coil packs have been done. But, from the carfax the local VW dealer serviced the car at 86k and 91k. The car still had pink coolant, and seemed to be running normal: no knocking, ect.

Anything else I can look for?
Can I make the dealer take off the valve cover to see if their is any sludge? Thanks.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I guess you could ask them to take it off. You might also ask them for the past dealer service, specifically looking for the oil sludge TSB work and/or oil changes.

Take her for a test drive and see if you notice any clunking in the front end. It's not a big deal to fix but it should be reflected in the price.

My advice: stick to a 2001.5 and newer car (B5.5) as you're not as likely to have an issue with sludge. Good luck with your search!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2001.5 engines are also 20hp more, and have a more advanced variable intake cam with a better phaser. :) Well, the whole engine is different, but that is the part I like most.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
The 2001.5 engines are also 20hp more, and have a more advanced variable intake cam with a better phaser. :) Well, the whole engine is different, but that is the part I like most.
Well I will do what I can...I need a daily before I can sell my Jetta. I did find a 02 Passat 1.8T wagon for sale in Chicago with the same amount of miles...

So overall anything new than a 02 is better. Also, is there a way to tell if the car has had the recalls done by the dealer?

oilhammer

TDI
Only a dealer can tell you about recalls.

I would not pass up a nice 2000 if the price was right, but just know they are not 'as good' as the later ones in terms of the mechanicals.

I gotta tell ya though, lately as these 1.8t Passats age, I have become more disgusted with the engine. 15+ check valves on one engine and countless plastic caps, fittings, tees, clamps, hoses, etc. really is starting to make me dread the "my check engine light is on" routine on these cars. Smoke machine and LOTS of patience helps. :p

I LOVE my TDI B5, though. :D

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
^^That is making me think a bunch of CEL deletes (along with the evap and associated emissions components) might be the way to go. It also cleans up the engine bay nicely when done. :)

oilhammer

TDI
Well, I am not one to remove emission controls, especially the evap parts, as otherwise you'll have gasoline evaporating constantly out of the fuel system. And I understand on a turbocharged engine they need to have some check valves, to deal with positive intake pressures, but why they had to make it so darn complex is what stumps me. The breather system alone makes my head hurt, and they changed it again on the 2.0t engines... now they have a 'pressure regulating valve' that routinely breaks and allows the boost to go into the crankcase... always good for the engine seals, eh? :p

Actually, the 1.8t also has a pressure regulating valve of sorts, kinda like a PCV, but rather than bolted to the valve cover it is buried under the intake down low near the breather box connection.... with little crimp clamps on everything. :eek: The intake manifold is not hard to take off, once the coolant pipe is removed, which IS a pain in that it screws into that darn plastic coolant neck on the rear of the head, that has about a 50/50 chance of leaking after you touch it. :rolleyes:

Sorry to rant, been having a lot of 1.8t B5s in lately, one here now actually. I guess I should be happy, as I am starting to know part numbers by heart now. :cool:

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up picking up a 02 Passat 1.8t today in Chicago. Took me 5 hours to get to Chicago from Fort Wayne and I saw 39 cars that were involved in accidents!!:eek:

Just a quick question: I saw earlier that the oil spec is VW 502 00 - 5w-40. Does that mean I can use the Shell T6 5w40 in the Passat like I do in my diesels?

Thanks

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I ended up picking up a 02 Passat 1.8t today in Chicago. Took me 5 hours to get to Chicago from Fort Wayne and I saw 39 cars that were involved in accidents!!:eek:

Just a quick question: I saw earlier that the oil spec is VW 502 00 - 5w-40. Does that mean I can use the Shell T6 5w40 in the Passat like I do in my diesels?

Thanks
T6 doesn't meet 502.00, but many have used it in VW sparkers with good results.

oilhammer

TDI

Thanks
It will probably work fine. As I recall, that oil does not have the VE TDI's spec of 505.00 listed either.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
Work completed this weekend and carrying over into last night:
- upper suspension link (10 years of MN salt)
- outer tie rod end
- trans service
- timing belt
- cooling fan
- snub mount
- downpipe (PITA:mad:)

Whew! That and two ALH timing belts is enough for one weekend. :eek:

How bad is the timing belts on these 1.8t engines? The passat I bought has 115,000 with the orginal! :eek: I have since stopped driving the car after I found that out. Are these like the TDI's where it is best to have a vw mech change it out?

Thanks

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Put the lock carrier in service position, the 1.8t tensioners are a little goofy, to me.
Agreed. Plus there are a couple different types so be sure you are looking at the correct section of your Bentley. Easier than a TDI in the sense that you don't have the lock down tools but more difficult since you can get the belt a tooth off because you don't have lock down tools. :D

If you're comfortable tackling a tdi belt, go for it.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed. Plus there are a couple different types so be sure you are looking at the correct section of your Bentley. Easier than a TDI in the sense that you don't have the lock down tools but more difficult since you can get the belt a tooth off because you don't have lock down tools. :D

If you're comfortable tackling a tdi belt, go for it.
Hahaha, this is way beyond my abilities, but I trying to decide if this is something my local mech shop can handle or if I should go to one of the good "trusted" guys...

I have to say though , ECS has a nice group of tb kits makes buying parts easy.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
How many hours did you have into your second one?
I bill it at 15 hours and it takes every bit of it.

Valve cover, check cam lobes, reseal cam chain tensioner, pull intake, remove and clean "pvc" system, remove and clean oil filter adapter, pull oil pan reinstall oil pan, flush, engine, pull oil pan again and clean out. replace pickup tube. NOTE: Pickup tube wasn't available seperate of the oil pump on ATW so I bought the one for the AWM and welded it on to the other saving customer $260 on a oil pump they didn't need. Lots of cleaning on any part that touches engine oil and is removeable.

I saw a guy post on vortex that the dealer charged him over 2000 for this service. Mine was under 1000. I've got some new pics and will probably post them on my website sometime but havn't had much time for webupdates lately.

Here's the 1st one I did on vortex.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4561942-1.8T-low-oil-pressure-light

The car in this pic is from a regular customer of mine. He sold the car to a freind, but last I heard this repair is still running strong.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
A 2001 Audi A4 1.8TMQ followed me home on Friday. It needs a little help.

I pulled the valve cover today, looks great, very clean. I can't imagine its sludged up. The cam chain tensioner is putting out quite the racket at low RPM. My first test drive didn't make any noise until I pulled back into the driveway, where it made a minor noise. By the time I got it home it was sounding almost like a diesel. Does anyone have any input on these? The engine code is AWM

Clutch was quite fun too. held only enough to get me home :D

oops, Its newer than I though :D

Last edited:

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I did a few of those chain tensioners/cam adjusters. They just wore out and couldnt hold the tension anymore. I have been told that it is possible to wiggle the assembly out without removing the intake cam, but I could never get it. There is also a special tool that holds the adjuster in its collapsed position to make it smaller for doing the job, and finally there is also a special blue sealant that gets put on a few small designated areas of the new cam adjuster seal. If you want, I'll try to find that info.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks mlemorie, I have done the tensioner seals on a V6 before, I was unaware it was special sealant, I used black RTV that came with the kit from Blauparts.

Any recommendations on OEM vs aftermarket tensioners?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So all that is all said and done, CCT, timing belt, EVAP/SAI deletes and now its misfiring like crazy with no codes when under load. It will misfire a few times at idle, but mostly above ~20% throttle. Misfire detection seems to be disabled when I try to log misfires.

Any ideas?

oilhammer

TDI
You know those eat ignition coils like fat chicks eat Twinkies, right? They've been recalled, and redesigned multiple times. The newest ones seem to be better. At least they are cheap from the dealer, usually about $25.