Possible glow plug issue

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
When I was visiting family in Colorado, I noticed that when we were above 6000 feet that no matter what the outside temperature, if the car was not at 190*, I got a long glow cycles every time. I was in the mountains typically between 6800 and 6900 feet when I parked for any length of time.
It was 95* outside, the car had been sitting in the sun most of the day, in the afternoon when we were going to town and the glow cycle took almost a minute. (around here it takes maybe a half second) So it does not appear temperature related, at least not directly.

Is this normal?
Is this a sensor that is malfunctioning?

(glow cycle is back to normal, but I am back below 700 feet)

Could this be related to my uncle's Glow plug harness failure check engine light? (he lives where I was visiting)

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
altitude/g plug lite

My car has always done the same thing even when it's somewhat warm light stays on at altitude for a bit. System seems to function normally with no changes. I just start it up. Also, Light always comes on briefly at any altitude when the engine is warm in spite of what manual says. I ignore it and start. I'm not sure if a sensor is not doing it's job but it has not interfered with normal function.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Normal due to the high altitude and thinner air.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I was wondering, because my uncle has fried his glow plug harness, (this is where he lives) (I suspect he needs to clean the connectors and or replace them)

Thanks for the input