A4 Vacuum hoses: size(s) and lenght?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The only hoses that come with clamps are the turbo and EGR. The turbo is probably because of the location under the back of the engine. Hard to reach, so a clamp ensures it stays on. The EGR clamp may be for emissions tampering prevention????

You can get coloured dress up kits. They have braided sleeves in various colours. They come with several sizes and slip over the original hoses. Fuel lines, vacuum lines, and coolant hoses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221173755266

Lots of hoses under the hood to cover if you're into that. Not a TDI, but you get the picture:

Ha ha I like tidy but that might just be verging on kinky lol :D

I'd be a bit cautious w/the fuel lines. If they're swollen then they're reacting to the diesel. You may want to punch in both silicone and diesel on THIS site for their recommendations.

Here's another... http://www.bnl.gov/esh/shsd/PDF/Compressed_gas/Chem_Comp_Tubing_Material.pdf

Shouldn't be to much of a hassle, might lose a bit of fuel at worst but I've had one of those steel injector lines burst before without any major issues.

I do object to the cost though with our fuel prices that might actually be as bad as they are due to possible shell and bp price fixing!

That's a whole other thread:rolleyes:

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
Use silicone vacuum hose it will last for ever. It cost a little more but you will be done with it.

babelfish42

TDI
2003 MK4 golf GL
wow, I never thought there would be so much confusion on what seems to be a simple topic. I'm seeing a lot of contrary information.
what the deal with ALH? I bought some 3mm and 5mm hose off ECS, but im seeing people say its 3.5mm
do I need 3.5mm? whats going on?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
3.5 is what VW put on there.
3mm firm silicone fits nicely, you do need a bit of 4 or 5mm medium. The fuel returns need to be Viton or equal.
We can make the simplest thing complicated and/or controversial.
One tip- You may need a new b/w check valve, the VW part is stupid expensive, with a little research you can find a less expensive replacement for that. Some have had luck cleaning those.

Scott20054

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI- 1.9L ; 2013 VW Jetta TDI - 2.0L
3.5 is what VW put on there.
3mm firm silicone fits nicely, you do need a bit of 4 or 5mm medium. The fuel returns need to be Viton or equal.
We can make the simplest thing complicated and/or controversial.
One tip- You may need a new b/w check valve, the VW part is stupid expensive, with a little research you can find a less expensive replacement for that. Some have had luck cleaning those.
Bringing up an old post but what is the b/w check valve?

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Would also like to know if there's a BEW vacuum hose kit available anywhere? Can't seem to locate anything in search

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
I emailed Brian and he said the BEW vacuum hose is available from VW only? He carries the cloth covered stuff for the ALH

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I emailed Brian and he said the BEW vacuum hose is available from VW only? He carries the cloth covered stuff for the ALH
Ok, I didn't know that. I only have ALH cars, so I've never purchased vacuum tubing for a BEW. However, the FixmyVW link I posted above lists it as the same stuff....just different length requirements for the BEW vs. ALH. Sorry for the confusion.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I replaced my vacuum hoses on my BEW last summer. I got some silicone hose from Summit Racing (one of the few parts for our cars they carry, not purposely I'm sure...LOL).

They had the best prices with shipping on it. I think they were one meter packages. I got one package of 3mm and one of 5mm. I think it was $13 for the 3mm and $18 for the 5mm. I had a little of each left over.

:)

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
Silicone Hose

Use silicone vacuum hose it will last for ever. It cost a little more but you will be done with it.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Cool. I think I was confused because one member here was ALSO using them for diesel fuel, in addition to vacuum..Yikes...