Anyone used Liqui Moly 4100 5w40 oil

DieterLange

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI (BKD)
On the hunt for some 5w40 505 01 oil and I was wondering if anyone recommends or has some advice about Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 oil. Any other oil recommendation are more than welcome.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I recommend a little searching.

Of course searching oil threads may be daunting since there're so many of them.

DieterLange

TDI
I recommend a little searching.

Of course searching oil threads may be daunting since there're so many of them.
`
I have been doing plenty of reading of this forum to track down the right oil (I was originally just going to get Castrol Edge 5w30 507 00). But after reading about 5W40 being a much better oil for the PD engines. I have narrowed my oil choice down to Liqui Moly becuase it is one of the only 5W40 505 01 oils I can get ordered in. Since ive never used them (and im new to diesel cars) I was hopping to find out what peoples opinion was on Liqui Moly 4100.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
`
I have been doing plenty of reading of this forum to track down the right oil (I was originally just going to get Castrol Edge 5w30 507 00). But after reading about 5W40 being a much better oil for the PD engines. I have narrowed my oil choice down to Liqui Moly becuase it is one of the only 5W40 505 01 oils I can get ordered in. Since ive never used them (and im new to diesel cars) I was hopping to find out what peoples opinion was on Liqui Moly 4100.
As long as its proper spec, it makes no difference. Get what you can afford. Dont get suckered into all this snake oil hype.
Chances are the car gets totaled from other things before the damage from the (not best) oil used will make a difference.
Look at it this way, most of the 500k+ engines out there did not use some crazy snake oil to get there. Think slav russia and other places where cars get rusted and beat to death.
Spend however you want, but dont expect miracles from a bottles marketing ploys

DieterLange

TDI
As long as its proper spec, it makes no difference. Get what you can afford. Dont get suckered into all this snake oil hype.
Chances are the car gets totaled from other things before the damage from the (not best) oil used will make a difference.
Look at it this way, most of the 500k+ engines out there did not use some crazy snake oil to get there. Think slav russia and other places where cars get rusted and beat to death.
Spend however you want, but dont expect miracles from a bottles marketing ploys
Good point, would it be better to use 5W40 over 5W30 becuase if so liqui moly is the only 5W40 505 01 spec oil I have access to.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
default is always to what's spec. so yea i guess, if it's all you got for now. not like its going to do any harm other than $$. i just realized you live down unda! liquid moly is a good brand, nothing wrong with using it. I thought you were switching to it because of marketing and other benefits. Oil is oil, some better, some worse, as long as you don't run dry it really makes very little difference as long as it satisfies spec requirements.

DieterLange

TDI
default is always to what's spec. so yea i guess, if it's all you got for now. not like its going to do any harm other than $$. i just realized you live down unda! liquid moly is a good brand, nothing wrong with using it. I thought you were switching to it because of marketing and other benefits. Oil is oil, some better, some worse, as long as you don't run dry it really makes very little difference as long as it satisfies spec requirements.
All good, this actually going to be my first oil change on my TDI because I only bought it a few days ago. I think the previous owner was using some Total 5w30 most likely 507 00.

DieterLange

TDI
First things first...what model TDI do you have?
What is the engine code for the engine in your TDI?
There are variations from one country to the next on what generation got which engine.
Since there a chance that you'll need to run this oil from Liqui Moly.
https://products.liqui-moly.us/diesel-high-tech-sae-5w-40-5.html
I have all the info listed in my account.

Engine Code: BKD DOHC 16V 103kw
TDI: 2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI no DPF

DieterLange

TDI
oh, ok sorry, didnt see you were in Australia, but still expensive compared to the US, rockauto sells it for $35.79
They dont have much of a market down under and there are a very limited number of people that sell them. I know last year they tired to make a push to try and creep there way in by sponsoring the Bathurst 12 Hour. But seems like they kinda gave up and you can only get them through speacial order now, although they still sponsor the Bathurst 12hr.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
oh, ok sorry, didnt see you were in Australia, but still expensive compared to the US, rockauto sells it for $35.79
welcome to paying in aud, or cad instead of usd

drive a few miles north of you, then you too can pay 40 cad for a 20 usd gallon of rotella t6

shortime

TDI
2014 golf sportswagon
since this is an oil thread im new here also and just bought a 2014 golf sportwagon,im just curious i have 10 gallons of 0 by 30 synthetic oil in the garage,it was used by our company about 5 years ago in there cement mixer trucks for a few years but they went back to mineral based oil so i took all there left over oil from the barels and put it into clean jerry cans,anyway i dont think oil goes bad sitting,just curious would you use 0 by 30 in a vw tdi,i guess if its to old i cold always use it to flush the engine and clean it up as i just bought this thing and the oild looks black black black and i mean black and i dont know how well the previous guy looked after it,the guy i bought it from was a farmer and said he used amsoil oil from a drum but who knows

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
since this is an oil thread im new here also and just bought a 2014 golf sportwagon,im just curious i have 10 gallons of 0 by 30 synthetic oil in the garage,it was used by our company about 5 years ago in there cement mixer trucks for a few years but they went back to mineral based oil so i took all there left over oil from the barels and put it into clean jerry cans,anyway i dont think oil goes bad sitting,just curious would you use 0 by 30 in a vw tdi,i guess if its to old i cold always use it to flush the engine and clean it up as i just bought this thing and the oild looks black black black and i mean black and i dont know how well the previous guy looked after it,the guy i bought it from was a farmer and said he used amsoil oil from a drum but who knows
Are you trolling us?
Dont do anything you just said.

Proper spec oil. Nothing else. And definatly not anything that off the charts.
If you do, your engine wont last more than a few thousand miles if your lucky.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'd use the 0w30 in mine but it is an old alh

it's a diesel, the oil will turn black don't worry about that

shortime

TDI
2014 golf sportswagon
lol no not trolling,was just curious and asking as i did actually buy the car lol,just trying to get info on it as im not a vw fan from past experience but got this tdi on a deal i could not refuse but willing to give vw another shot in my mind ,anyway

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lol no not trolling,was just curious and asking as i did actually buy the car lol,just trying to get info on it as im not a vw fan from past experience but got this tdi on a deal i could not refuse but willing to give vw another shot in my mind ,anyway
what does your owner's manual say? does it say to use hoarded non spec compliant wrong weight oil because its too cheap to pass up? no i think not.

if you got the car for nothing or you spent full price, makes no difference on how you should treat your investment. if it was nothing, then it's even more reason to care for it.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Did a engine flush on my TDI using BG EPR & MOA kit after i refilled it using liqui moly 5w30 top tec oil along with mann oil filter & what a difference idles alot smoother and now has better crisper throttle response & pick-up after my drive i rechecked my oil level and it was super clear BG is awesome stuff.!! i tried posting a picture but seems very difficult to do on here i did find this exact pic online of what i used though.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...hUKEwjA5Zb0mevqAhXOi60KHc1zCg0Qr4kDegUIARCbAQ

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did a engine flush on my TDI using BG EPR & MOA kit after i refilled it using liqui moly 5w30 top tec oil along with mann oil filter & what a difference idles alot smoother and now has better crisper throttle response & pick-up after my drive i rechecked my oil level and it was super clear BG is awesome stuff.!! i tried posting a picture but seems very difficult to do on here i did find this exact pic online of what i used though.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...hUKEwjA5Zb0mevqAhXOi60KHc1zCg0Qr4kDegUIARCbAQ
Dyno prove it or with logs or it didnt happen and was a pure placebo efect or you really has a lot of bad sludge and you corrected an issue back to original conditions.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
Dyno prove it or with logs or it didnt happen and was a pure placebo efect or you really has a lot of bad sludge and you corrected an issue back to original conditions.
No... dont have a sludge problem nor did i see any. i just wanted to try "BG EPR & MOA kit." and see for my self. reason being i bought my 2012 VW TDI used with about 99.000 km's oil changes were done at VW dealer wich were pretty lengthy to my liking so ... i have done regular oil/filter changes at 7.000km's using 5w30 liqui moly top tec & man oil filter the engine right now has just over 151,000km's so...i decided it was a good idea to flush the engine today and im glad i did i noticed an improvement overall. i cant prove it and im not about to take it to do some dyno pull just for you. but i know it worked for me. many people on here will take care of the exterior of there vehicle but from experience its just as important to keep the inside of the internals just as clean as the outside of Your car.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yes, as i just stated, matches up with what the manufacturer claims it does. what you are saying it did is not what it did.

DIRECTLY FROM BG
We test BG ‘air intake system cleaner’ and BG EPR (engine performance restoration).

BG Air Intake System Cleaner reduces harmful exhaust emissions and restores engine performance.

BG Diesel Induction System Cleaner is specially formulated to liquefy and remove tough oil deposits and unburned fuel residues formed by the EGR and PCV as the gases pass through the air intake and intake valves.

BG Engine Performance Restoration is a quick and effective blend that softens, emulsifies and dissolves hard-to-remove fuel deposits that clog the rings, thus restoring all important compression.

no where did they claim it added power. EVER

what you just claimed is that it did.

all you did was clear a little bit of the soot/oil coke out of the intake by the EGR and intake manifold and as well clearing any sludge. it makes no difference what stealership did the oil changes.

all you did was restore lost power, exactly what the effects of properly maintaining your car would have prevented.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
Obviously mongler98 your a skeptic the ones that cry the most are the ones that never tryed it or are scared of trying it on there car. i dont care i know it worked for my TDI and no stealer did this job it was me that used the kit and did the oil/filter change afterword.

shortime

TDI
2014 golf sportswagon
what does your owner's manual say? does it say to use hoarded non spec compliant wrong weight oil because its too cheap to pass up? no i think not.
if you got the car for nothing or you spent full price, makes no difference on how you should treat your investment. if it was nothing, then it's even more reason to care for it.
i hear what your saying not arguing ,by the way a car is an expence not an investment,looses money every year and wears out eventually,any car you buy would be a poor investment,but anyway i know one who drives a vw tdi 2013 in the philippines,manila to leyte steady basis and just throws in regular jeepney oil in it,cheapest there is 15 by 40 and the thing just keeps on ticking and up and down the road problem free to date,hell finding 507 oil in the philippines would definetly be a challenge as its still kinda hard to find synth oil there as i have hard time finding it so the vw in that part of asia would just be running regular mineral oil for the most part,anyway thought i would ask see what should be used

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Here's a breakdown of the different oils that VW specs for their different engines.
https://www.blauparts.com/blog/vw-oil-specs-german.html

A few threads discussing which oil to use in your model TDI.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/oil-for-mk6-golf-tdi.314554/
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/wondering-what-oil-brand-people-are-using-for-2013-tdi.33634/

You could have everything you need for an oil change sent to you and you get to select the oil you want to use.
https://www.europaparts.com/oil-change-kit-2-0l-tdi.html

Another option from IDParts.
https://www.idparts.com/liqui-moly-top-tec-4200-5w30-liter-2011-p-1966.html

No... dont have a sludge problem nor did i see any. i just wanted to try "BG EPR & MOA kit." and see for my self. reason being i bought my 2012 VW TDI used with about 99.000 km's oil changes were done at VW dealer wich were pretty lengthy to my liking so ... i have done regular oil/filter changes at 7.000km's using 5w30 liqui moly top tec & man oil filter the engine right now has just over 151,000km's so...i decided it was a good idea to flush the engine today and im glad i did i noticed an improvement overall. i cant prove it and im not about to take it to do some dyno pull just for you. but i know it worked for me. many people on here will take care of the exterior of there vehicle but from experience its just as important to keep the inside of the internals just as clean as the outside of Your car.
Unless things have changed you can extend your oil change interval to 10,000 miles or 15,000 kms.
https://idpartsblog.com/2014/07/15/tdi-oil-specifications/
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=427300

In the end do what works for you, but imo you're throwing money down the drain literally by changing your oil too soon.