Any interest in a 1.5" lift?

jasontexas

TDI
01 golf tdi 5speed
I've been trying to find the best way to do a 1.5 lift under $100. Looking through all the ways to do a lift. I've came with $40 moog wagen springs in the rear (i have them installed now and got a 1.25 lift) and having a local machine shop make 1.5 inch spacers for the front. This will level out the car. I talk with the local machine shop and i can get the 1.5 inch front spacers ALOT cheaper if i order more than just two. So i wanted to find out if anyone else was interest in this and i could make a bigger order. Let me know if any of you are interest.

Jason

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Even easier option for your front end Jason:

Home Depot, the 1" galvanized pipe coupling. It is solid steel and 1.75" long. I have 2 of these on the front of my 03 wagon right now. It hasn't created any issues with my ESP in more than 1000 miles so far. Oh yeah: $4 each.

What I do have a question about for anyone that has done a decent sized lift - How much has your MPG changed? I had an unbalanced tire on this recent trip that I just got fixed, but my mileage seems to have dropped 5mpg with the lift?

At the same time as the lift, I replaced the 4 bushings on the front end, and new Monroe quickstruts that I installed the pipe couplings onto. The rear suspension is stock, except for Airlift 1000 bags inside new springs and then lifted / inflated to almost the same height as the front is now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jasontexas

TDI
01 golf tdi 5speed
Even easier option for your front end Jason:

Home Depot, the 1" galvanized pipe coupling. It is solid steel and 1.75" long. I have 2 of these on the front of my 03 wagon right now. It hasn't created any issues with my ESP in more than 1000 miles so far. Oh yeah: $4 each.

What I do have a question about for anyone that has done a decent sized lift - How much has your MPG changed? I had an unbalanced tire on this recent trip that I just got fixed, but my mileage seems to have dropped 5mpg with the lift?

At the same time as the lift, I replaced the 4 bushings on the front end, and new Monroe quickstruts that I installed the pipe couplings onto. The rear suspension is stock, except for Airlift 1000 bags inside new springs and then lifted / inflated to almost the same height as the front is now.

The stock struts are 7/8 inch where the spacer slides on so a 1 inch pipe will be loose. That one of the reason I have gone that route. I'm not say it won't work I'm just concerned about it being safe.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Loose - Thats funny. It will have the full pressure of the spring seat against it, pressing it into the bearing above. It is in NO danger of slipping sideways once the pressure is relaxed from the spring compressors.

The collar is better than just a piece of threaded pipe, because it offers a fatter seating surface and is overall thicker than the pipe. The 1" collars actually fit the bearing quite nicely, matching the overall seating-surface of the bearing nearly perfectly.

Thinking about it some more, an easy answer to the centering issue might be as simple as a fat rubber bung from home depot (they have tapered versions for $2-$3) with a 7/8 hole drilled in the center. The rubber will be compressed into the center of the collar, but it will keep the collar from moving side-to-side at all. Since the top of the spring is not moving in relation to the threaded section, the rubber compressing onto the strut shaft shouldn't matter in the slightest.

Last edited: