Omaha, NE chat thread

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
Well Im thinking to go around 10:00 or 10:30 but uf we want to meet somewhre before lets choose a place
On the way to there shoulb be fine
Or we can meet at performance too as well we can see more cars

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, I was feeling better at noon but my wife was nit so I stayed with her, well we always have next year we need to get together to check your car with the vagcom

HuskerTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I'm still looking forward to meeting some of the TDI enthusiasts in Omaha. Sounds like noone relaly met up last weekend. Last weekend I changed out my suspension to a Bilstien TC Comfort setup. I must say...what a great ride into work I've had this week! It drives fast well and takes the corners like a champ again (interstate for most of commute)!

While working on the suspension, I checked my lifters and cam clearances...no problems there! Next (this weekend) is to watch some football, then change my oil, do a diesel purge, and change my fuel/water separator.

Still looking forward to learning about the world of VAG COM sometime! Have a good (and healthy @ wlf98) weekend.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally I got my Bi-Xenons installed, now I can see the road.
Does anybody Have a trim tool? I'm planning to install a Dimm mirrow but I may use that trim tool.

I got the fogs on it but I need to put the wiring harness on I may do it on Thursday.

Most probably another tdi member is using my vag-com this weekend, but HuskerTDI I will let you know, we should get together to check your codes.

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Finally I got my Bi-Xenons installed, now I can see the road.
Does anybody Have a trim tool? I'm planning to install a Dimm mirrow but I may use that trim tool.

I got the fogs on it but I need to put the wiring harness on I may do it on Thursday.

Most probably another tdi member is using my vag-com this weekend, but HuskerTDI I will let you know, we should get together to check your codes.

Post some pics of that!! I'd love to see it! HID's are the bomb!!

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice fleet msiert.

This morning I went to the air base to help a tdi owner Mike, Losha asked me to check hi TB.
But after spending some time trying to get the belt on time, we couldnt do it.

Here is a picture of the timing setting, as you can see (if you can) the red circle at the bottom of the picture shows where the marks of the belt was showing.
We couldnt make it to go up.

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4950/mikeblacktb2.jpg

Maybe someone can help him, not sure he is log in.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry Brian I didnt contact you last sunday because I had to go the air base to check Mike car.

Hey Losha, Did you talk to Mike about his car ? I wonder if he got the timing setup right.

HuskerTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
So... I got caught up in house decorating with the wife and found it a good weekend to rest last weekend. Especially since this weekend with the snow here, we found out my wife's fairly new trailblazer has a 4wd problem! I'm still working that one. Anyway, my offer still stands, shoot me a txt or call and we can GTG and help each other out.!

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
Happy New year!!!

Got a couple of questions for the Omaha group

1. My 2001 Bug's exhaust has been putting out white smoke on warm up for quite a long time but lately has seemed to have gotten worse.

It puffs out a white cloud at start up and continues pumping it out during warm up then stops....doesn't matter if it's 80F or 30F. The Bug has 128,000 miles on it and recently had it's turbo replaced. The last major service was the 100,000 done at 116,000 along with the timing belt at the Dealer. I replace one glow plug (resistence was way off the others and covered with soot) after a cel was throw last fall since then no more cel's

The bug turns over fast and pops right off and the idle is smooth. The drivability is good and the mileage has not drop off? The smoke smells like unburnt diesel fuel, no coolant smell and the coolant level has been rock steady since new.

Well after doing a bunch of searches I'm leaning towards worn injectors or injector pump?

2. Is there a mechanic in the area that anyone could recommend to check it out?

3. I have been fueling up at Bucky's, Jet-X and Fantasy's. Is there a better place to go for "higher quality diesel" in the Omaha area?

4. What additive would be best to use or is it really not needed.

Any help would be appreciated,

Last edited:

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
My Jetta started the same thing. It started after I pulled the head, replacing cam and had the injectors ran through. Same thing, stops when warmed up. Havent worried about it since performance hasn't changed. I run Power service all year around. Anti gel, lube, and cetane boost all in the additive. I know Caseys has the best fuel here in Lincoln. A great diesel guy in your area is Jesse at Husker diesel. In gretna, true diesel guru, has some VW experiance. http://store.huskerdiesel.com/contact-us/info_2.html

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
Thank you

Don't know what to think about the white smoke. My gut feeling is IP or injectors but I sure don't want to take it to the dealer to look at.

I'll give Husker Diesel a try

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
You just gotta love HID's! 55W 6000K's. This is my Jetta parked next to my wife's Civic with Silverstar halogens in it. And to think I still have HID fog lights to turn on!! :D

See Alex, no glare with the Euro projections!!!

Last edited:

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
Its crazy how many TDI's I see daily in lincoln/omaha and how no ones really on here. Wish they all knew so we'd have a larger Nebraska base. So much stuff I've learned to do on my car that we could pass along. Would be nice to have gtg's for gossip and talk how too's! Even tool sharing so everyone wouldnt need to buy them if a mile down the road. Maybe buisness cards on windsheilds or something?

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Its crazy how many TDI's I see daily in lincoln/omaha and how no ones really on here. Wish they all knew so we'd have a larger Nebraska base. So much stuff I've learned to do on my car that we could pass along. Would be nice to have gtg's for gossip and talk how too's! Even tool sharing so everyone wouldnt need to buy them if a mile down the road. Maybe buisness cards on windsheilds or something?

That's an awesome idea! Then we could get the up to Sioux Falls so Alex could make them good as new and they would last even longer!! :D

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe we can organize a drive to SF (in the spring) to meet Alex at his shop.

I was talking with a TDI owner yesterday at the HyVee of 132&Dodge, he saw my car and I told him to check here, we'll see not everybody loves their TDI as much as we do.

Finally my projectors fogs are on but now I see why the HID fogs are better.
In my opinion my mk4 hella DE HID fogs were the best fogs.
oemplus have a set of HID fogs kit.

Smokin12v

TDI
06 jetta
hey from North platte bought my first tdi saturday... its an 06 jetta, dsg auto, 122,000 on it.... Fun fun car to drive have put 350 miles on it already

Bought it from jansen's motor in north platte... But there were some old service records in the car and i was able to call the guy that has had it since it was new... After talking to him only thing hes had to do to it was new glowplugs, and some connection that made air bag light stay on...

I asked him about the timing belt and hes never had it changed :eek: .... So im looking to get it done asap.. I called emich VW of denver and they quoted me 1350$ to get it done and 400 to service the dsg tranny..

was wonderin where you guys go to get this kinda work done and aprox cost...

thnx and good to be able to talk to some other tdi owners in the state!

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats with your TDI.
Maybe you can post on the regionals and find a TDI Guru in Denver cheaper than the dealer . I dont think you can find one in Omaha for a TB job.
You can find someone in Kansas I can get you the name.
Congrats again.

Ginzu

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDi
My Jetta started the same thing. It started after I pulled the head, replacing cam and had the injectors ran through. Same thing, stops when warmed up. Havent worried about it since performance hasn't changed. I run Power service all year around. Anti gel, lube, and cetane boost all in the additive. I know Caseys has the best fuel here in Lincoln. A great diesel guy in your area is Jesse at Husker diesel. In gretna, true diesel guru, has some VW experiance. http://store.huskerdiesel.com/contact-us/info_2.html

Cartmatt, do you have a number for true diesel guru in Gretna? I tried the link but could bot see any of the info.

Thanks, Ginzu

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Cartmatt, do you have a number for true diesel guru in Gretna? I tried the link but could bot see any of the info.

Thanks, Ginzu

Here is that number: (402) 502-6961

However Alex in Sioux Falls is an amazing TDI mechanic that treats every car as if it was his own. Worth the extra drive, believe me. You can call him @ (605) 929-9614. Just my two cents. The guys in Gretna may do good...but they specialize in Powerstrokes, Cummins and Duramax diesels. I'm sure they have a good idea of what is going on with your car because they do know their diesels, but Alex only works on VW's and Audi's. Bottom line, you are getting a guy that eats, breaths and sleeps German cars! I could take my car 20 minutes to the Gretna guys, but I will promise you I would tow my car all the way to Sioux Falls to get the confidence that it was done right...the first time!

Last edited:

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
hey from North platte bought my first tdi saturday... its an 06 jetta, dsg auto, 122,000 on it.... Fun fun car to drive have put 350 miles on it already

Bought it from jansen's motor in north platte... But there were some old service records in the car and i was able to call the guy that has had it since it was new... After talking to him only thing hes had to do to it was new glowplugs, and some connection that made air bag light stay on...

I asked him about the timing belt and hes never had it changed :eek: .... So im looking to get it done asap.. I called emich VW of denver and they quoted me 1350$ to get it done and 400 to service the dsg tranny..

was wonderin where you guys go to get this kinda work done and aprox cost...

thnx and good to be able to talk to some other tdi owners in the state!
Welcome to the site! These cars are great to drive, a little pricey to maintain though. Thats on high side for sevice, but may be only close option. I do all my TDI work. Timing belt is super easy to do. If you have some mechanical abilty. You'll want to do it asap! Make sure serp belt is always in great shape. Mine split, took out timing belt, taking out valves! Make sure you run only proper oil. I use Rotella T6 synthetic in mine, can buy by gallon. Buy filters and misc from IDparts. They offer whole service kit (oil, air, fuel, cabin filter for around $53-NAPA wants $50 for fuel filter alone. Can buy second oil filter for $8 and your set for 2 services. Every 10,000. Make sure to do fuel filter every other oil change (20,000). Youll read thousands of problems on this site, yet expeiraiance only few. You can find way to fix any of them with a search here. Cheaper to solve problem here for free than a trip to stealership! Most common large repairs are- Timing belts, tranny service (every 40,000), cam failure, and Dual Mass Flywheel rattle/failure (DMF).