Winter tires, whos put them on?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
It's getting cold here in the Chicagoland area. Has anyone put on their winter wheels and tires yet? I'm putting mine on tonight!

I hope it stays cold enough to get the road temps down so the tires don't wear to much before the first snow fall.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Put mine on on Monday. New TireRack purchase.....16" Continental ExtremeWinterContacts on Rial Milano rims in gunmetal. The tires were well rated by both Consumer Reports and TireRack.

So far, on the pavement with no snow yet, they've been amazing. Much quieter than the 17" stock all-season Continentals, which made a lot of noise. The ride is smoother, and less responsive steering-wise, as would be expected in going to more rubber and less rim.

Turned off the TPMS system using VCDS. Also turned off the annoying seatbelt chime...

Ferg

TDI
2010 Jetta Cup Edition
Put mine on Monday and we had a blizzard here yesterday. It is not even the same car. The Cup Edition comes with 18" tires and I am using 16" rims with General tires. The car feels like it is wandering down the road compared to the low profile tires it came with. It does go over bumps a lot better. The snow tires work extremely well, but I just can't believe the difference in handling.

Ferg

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Just got em on, I will be changing the rear pads soon, real soon. Left rear inner pad is almost gone.

I will see if the TPMS mod has taken tomorrow, right now I couldn't drive legally, lol.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Put mine on on Monday. New TireRack purchase.....16" Continental ExtremeWinterContacts on Rial Milano rims in gunmetal. The tires were well rated by both Consumer Reports and TireRack.

So far, on the pavement with no snow yet, they've been amazing. Much quieter than the 17" stock all-season Continentals, which made a lot of noise. The ride is smoother, and less responsive steering-wise, as would be expected in going to more rubber and less rim.

Turned off the TPMS system using VCDS. Also turned off the annoying seatbelt chime...

I'd like those wheels for my summer tires! They look sweet, nice choice!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Jason, et al:
Put these on Liath a couple weekends ago (11/13/10). Picked them up the week before down at Tire Rack in South Bend. Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 on clearance for $70.00 each. Graycie has new Michelin Primacy MXV4s so she should be good to go for this winter.

Dan

redbrick1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
I was waiting to see if Tire Rack has any Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials before ordering my snows. Anybody know if they have sales this weekend?

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Got the Jetta and my 200 all set last week. 195 60 16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60's for the Jetta and 225 45 17 Nokian Hakka RSi's on the 200. Ready for the snow!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Jason:

I have to admit, it was a good deal. It turned out to be much cheaper to take my bare steelies to Tire Rack and have them mount and balance them than it would have been to have them shipped to me and then mounted locally. And that even includes the cost of the fuel it took to drive there and back.

Dan

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Got my General Altimax Artics on. 70mph on the freeway all day long in the crappy snow we got today. Snow tires really are worth the investment.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Jason, et al:
Put these on Liath a couple weekends ago (11/13/10). Picked them up the week before down at Tire Rack in South Bend. Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 on clearance for $70.00 each.

Dan

That is an awesome deal. Double check the DOT # on the inside sidewall to make sure the tires weren't "Old" stock.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
:D Just being rude here:p
I do miss the pole barn but not having to put on 5 sets of snows!!!

Thanksgiving morning and it's bright and sunny and in the 70's!!! Turkey on the grill when you don't have to shovel to get to the grill....priceless!!:eek:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Lew:

Yeah, yeah, we all know you're a happy convert to warmer weather! Moving from Merrill, MI to Cocao, FL will do that to a person. I'm happy that all finally worked out, because it was looking touch and go for a while there. And just so everyone knows, the bare rims I took to TR were purchased from Lew (lrpavlo) before he made the move south so, by default, one of those sets of winter tires Lew doesn't have to change anymore is on one of my TDIs. Lew, thanks again for all your help, enjoy the balmy weather, and have a great Thanksgiving.

Dan

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Got my General Altimax Artics on. 70mph on the freeway all day long in the crappy snow we got today. Snow tires really are worth the investment.

These are great long wearing snows for sure. I have them on my Yukon, my sister has them on her Honda, my mother has them on a Passat 4motion and about 70 clients run them.

Cheap to boot.

FWIW these tires were the Verdenstein (sp) Nordfrost 3. Continental Group absorbed them and moved the tooling to Germany and relabled them for General.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Jason:

Cool, good information to know. Thanks!

Dan

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Put my snows on today. After getting a closer look at the summer Contis, it looks like that was the end for them. It's always interesting to experience how different the car drives with narrower 15" tires from the wide 17".

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I put my Nokian WRG2s on a month ago.

:)

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Haha gonna put on my steelies on the jetta today. Dzcad you're right, it's a whole new ballgame when going from 18's to 15's....especially cornering lol.

As for the golf, i decided to throw on my 16" bbs RXII's i have. However after finding used tires for $40 and installing them $40, I kinda wish i jumped on the firestone winterforce tires they had on sale last month. Oh well there's always next year.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
jasonTDI said:
These are great long wearing snows for sure. I have them on my Yukon, my sister has them on her Honda, my mother has them on a Passat 4motion and about 70 clients run them.

Cheap to boot.

FWIW these tires were the Verdenstein (sp) Nordfrost 3. Continental Group absorbed them and moved the tooling to Germany and relabled them for General.

The best kept secret snow tires in the market w/o braking the bank

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Apparently the word is out....these are out of stock everywhere!

Another good tire is the Hankook IPike is very similar and only a few $$ more.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm going to keep these in mind. I think I've got one more season in my Blizzaks but these look like a great replacement.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Apparently the word is out....these are out of stock everywhere!

Another good tire is the Hankook IPike is very similar and only a few $$ more.

Reasonable price snow tires that out perform the more expensive brand name ones.

General Altimax Artics vs Hankook W409 IPike

Are they seperated at birth?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A few years ago I was in Montreal and rode in a car with what I think they called "eco studs." They were studded snows where the tire expanded to cover the studs (or the studs retreated into the tire) at highway speeds. So you had studs at low speeds, none at high speeds. Are those sold here?