Mk5 engine won't turn over

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Okey, I thought I had seen someone post in here about a Mk5 Jetta that wouldn't start. It was towed to dealer and they had been out of the car about 6 days. Also I think the car is in Lakeland, FL.

I searched for the thread and have come up dry so far, so I started this one. Here's what I found TSB 01-06-15;

Model(s) Rabbit,new GTI 2006 > 2007 New Jetta 2005 > 2007 Eng. Code all Trans. Code all VIN all

Technical Background
May be caused internally when the Steering Column Electronic Systems Control Module -J527- fails, this causes Terminal 50 to not energize high, which results in a no crank condition.

Steering Column Electronic Systems Control Module -J527- performs two operations when starting the vehicle. When ignition is turned to crank position:
• A message is sent via CAN bus to Vehicle Electrical System Control Module -J519-.
• The Terminal 50 circuit between Vehicle Electrical System Control Module -J519- and Steering Column Electronic Systems Control Module -J527- is energized to high.

Tip:
Fault code for “00885 Ignition/Starter Switch -D- (terminal 50) 008 implausible signal 001 sporadic” may be stored in Vehicle Electrical System Control Module -J519-.

I hope this helps anyone who has a Mk5 that the engine won't crank. The dash lights come on, everything looks fine, but it acts like the starter has been unplugged. We screwed around for a while before someone found the TSB.

Jason

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I seem to recall some old post regarding a flapper valve of some sort in the airbox not operating like it should. That would also cause a no start condition. There was a run of bad ones out there someplace.

-Mike

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Driver_found said:
I seem to recall some old post regarding a flapper valve of some sort in the airbox not operating like it should. That would also cause a no start condition. There was a run of bad ones out there someplace.

-Mike
Yeah, carbon build up in the intake will cause the anti-shudder valve to stick shut on ALH (VE) engines. Symptom would be a car that runs fine when shut off. But the time you try to start it the engine cranks a little faster but won't start.

What I'm posting about is Mk5's where the engine won't even crank. Dash lights all come on and don't dim went key is turned to start position. Everything appears to be normal except the engine won't turn over, same basic thing as if you had manuel transmission and forgot to push the clutch in.

Jason

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
K&N air filter bad news for MAF! You will be paying a lot more for MAF than that K&N cost!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
wjdell said:
did you check the fuses. Inspect one at a time.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have this problem. I was helping a fellow technician fix a car and came across this solution. The main reason for the post was to help the Mk5 owners if they run into this problem. The dealer main end up scratching their heads on this one unless they happen to see the TSB.

Just FYI stuff here folks.

Jason