Timing Belt help on an A4 TDI

A

ackumar

All,
Looking for some help on timing belt replacement on 2002 Jetta TDI

Summary of the story: I didn’t have the right Cam locking (dummy me bought the wrong one A3) plate so instead of waiting and getting the right one I decided to carefully mark the CAM and injector pump before removing the old belt. I put the crank at TDC and everything seemed to be aligned as instructed; marked the CAM and Injector. I went ahead and removed the old belt and put a new one on. After putting the new belt on I cranked the engine over number by hand and everything seems fine; finished the install process, started the car. I seemed to run fine but after driving it around the block It seems like it does not have the same power and pull that it use to have. Few minutes later, the check engine light came on. I shut the engine off and restarted it and the light went off. But after another few minutes of driving the light came back on again.
Question is:
Do I need to redo the entire process of timing belt with the locking plate, pin and remove the cam or just reset the injector timing with this VAG-COM software?
Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
-Arvind

A

ackumar

Thanks for the help

Yuri,
Thanks for the help; no I didn't not losen the CAM or Injector pump bolts
-Arvind

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Don't know where in the world you are, but aside from www.metalnerd.com you can find an A4 cam lock plate at http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=162278 (at least you used to be able to find it on sale... $15.50)

For the injection pump, you can use the back end of a drill bit...

The "Mark & Pray" method of timing belt replacement is a recipe for disaster!!! Hope you can recover without heavy damage !!!

Yuri.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Upon reflection... since the engine's running, most likely your timing's far from optimal. If you have access to a registered copy of Vag-Com, try and set the static timing...

Good luck,

Yuri.

PS: hopefully you replaced all the rollers, tensioner and the water pump... not to mention the "stretch" bolts holding up the engine...

A

ackumar

Yuri,
No I don't have access to a copy of Vag-Com. How easy is this to get? I've already ordered a the right cam locking plate and pin; but they didn't have the Cam puller. Any good hooks on the puller?
Thanks
-Arvind

P.S. Yes, the engine mount bolts, water pump, and all rollers were replaced at the same time.
Again thanks for your help

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Where are you located? There might be someone near by who can help out.

A

ackumar

Thanks for asking; I am located in the San Francisco bay area (California)
-Arvind

A

ackumar

A4 TDI Timing Belt help needed in SF bay area - Thanks all

All,
Thanks for the help and suggestions on 2002 TDI timing belt replacement. I got the cam locking plate and pin and reset the belt last night and now runs like a dream again. Again, thanks for the help.
-Arvind