2002 VW TDI to Isuzu pickup 2.6l gas

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
How difficult would it be to convert 1992 isuzu pickup 2.6l to a VW bug 2002 diesel? VW have been wrecked but engine is ok. The engine sits side ways. The isuzu pickup 2.6 has 5 speed standard transmission.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
On A scale of 10 I think it would be a.7.325

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Yes,lots of fabbing
If you are good at fabrication and know some wiring very doable,if you have to hire someone to do the work,it will cost more than you'll expect.
Engine/Transmission adapter(then indicating runout and locating dowels so you don't blow clutch up)
Engine mounts
Peripheral mounts-Fuel filter,Coolant ball(if you keep the enclosed system)intercooler etc.
Then comes the wiring.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Thanks for the replies. May be easier to purchase a diesel with longitude engine and transmission intact. I love this truck. I got screwed by by local shop. They said they rebuilt the engine but 3 other mechanics have verified the engine was not rebuilt but looks like salvage engine. Engine block numbers don't match VIN.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I have decided to go for it....

I already have the engine. A year ago, I bought a VW 2001 TDI from a client who was rear ended. Decide not to repair but install in my 1992 Isuzu spacecab. I have communicated with Whitbread and has give me some guidance. Looking for a T-5 manual transmission. One of my clients gave me a toy r22 transmission but don't think it strong enough for the torque He is going to tune and delete the immobilizer. He recommends purchasing an adapter from here http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/adapter/. I know the acme adapters are cheaper; however, not sure cheaper is better. I can fabricate. Going to remove engine this weekend.

Any suggestions advice appreciated.