2002 JETTA - STARTING issues and CUTS OUT

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Hi,
Need your help.

I have a 2002 Tdi Jetta with 300,000 miles. Strong battery. CAr runs well, once it starts.

Currently Doesn't start. Cranks hard, over and over, but I hear misfires.
I got it to start earlier, started first crank, then when I drove it, GLOW PLUG LIGHT and ENGINE LIGHT came on.
Once I parked it and turned it off, tied to start it again to test, and it wouldn't start.
It has been cutting out and dying after a few miles (10-20 miles of driving). Red BATTERY LIGHT comes on, and it just dies... I pull over to road shoulder, wait a few hours and it starts again.
Once running, it Runs great, but often won't start, and it is dying after 15min of driving. (3/4 Full tank and strong battery. Good D2 fuel from regular pump)

Can it be the glow plug or glow plug harness ?
Can it be the Fuel system ( solenoid or something that opens/closes fuel supply ??)

The only other hint is that the Speedometer is not working at all, even after I replaced the sensor with a cheap chinese ebay $15 one.

Any advice appreciated. been at this for 3 months.
No-one can figure it out.

-Jenx

Notes:
109 Relay was replaced
Transmission was replaced 5 years ago.
Main belt service was done probably 50,000 miles ago. Pump etc
FIP was resealed 5 years ago.
New hoses and diesel fuel filter.
New Fuel sender unit ( under the rear seats)
Newer Battery.
New Speedometer sensor

Last edited:

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
First you need scan the car to find out have any fault code. You may test the ignition switch if it fault can cause car stall or hard to start.

Mawcus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW PD 5 Speed
Check all your battery cables. Make sure none are loose. Had a similar problem with hard starts and car cutting out (2004 Jetta) Turned out to be the small red cable comin off the positive post/main cable. Nut was tight but there was a small wiggle in the cable that was causing a pretty significant voltage drop between the alternator and the battery. Put in a small washer the fill the gap that had the wiggle in it and its been fine since. Been dealing with this problem for over a year and a half or longer and i think thats all the problem was.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The only other hint is that the Speedometer is not working at all, even after I replaced the sensor with a cheap chinese ebay $15 one.
Which sensor?

When did the speedometer last operate correctly? What has happened since then?

Really, REALLY, need to find out what codes are being triggered.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Get it started and check the output of the alternator when it is having trouble. This may require running the multimeter cords the into the car. Or they have fancy Bluetooth ones,but they get expensive.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
How about the CPS (crank position sensor)? Perhaps unplug it, and make sure the contacts are clean. Reconnect and try to start it again.

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
SPEEDO stopped - CODE

Hi UhOh,
The speedo starting acting erratically, and the fuel gauge also would swing back and forth, then settle after a minute. The error code did show a speedometer sensor error, so I replaced it. I don't recall the code, but currently no CEL ( Check engine light) is on.
It started getting progressively worse until it stopped working completely. the car starting cutting out a month or so after that issue. The replacement was a real pain...had to use a jack to support the transmission, because to get to the location you have to remove a 4 bolt transmission mount ABOVE the speedo connection point.

The part I purchased on ebay was listed as "TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR Fits:BEETLE GOLF GTI JETTA "
https://ibb.co/cJtcVv

-Jenx

Which sensor?

When did the speedometer last operate correctly? What has happened since then?

Really, REALLY, need to find out what codes are being triggered.

Last edited:

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Hi UhOh,
The speedo starting acting erratically, and the fuel gauge also would swing back and forth, then settle after a minute. The error code did show a speedometer sensor error, so I replaced it. I don't recall the code, but currently no CEL ( Check engine light) is on.
It started getting progressively worse until it stopped working completely. the car starting cutting out a month or so after that issue. The replacement was a real pain...had to use a jack to support the transmission, because to get to the location you have to remove a 4 bolt transmission mount ABOVE the speedo connection point.

-Jenx

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
CEL is one thing, stored codes is another. Need to see what the stored codes, if any, are.

So, basically, speedo reporting issues, changed CPS, and now still the same symptoms? Did you test the old CPS at all? (I'm sure there's some way of doing it- I am not knowledgeable on how to do that.)

One has to be careful about going strictly by what the codes are indicating. What was the actual code that was being triggered? You have the same problems but now no code for the CPS?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Be careful what you buy on ebay and amazon. That part may be fine.
Shouldn't we be focusing on No Start?
Seems we should get it running then diagnose the electrics.
Can it be the glow plug or glow plug harness ?
No, not unless the temperature has stayed below 40˚
Can it be the Fuel system ( solenoid or something that opens/closes fuel supply ??)
Yes.
Try loosening all 4 injectors about 1/3 turn, put out some rags and crank. You should get spray.
Another common thing is stuck ASV.
Check all your fuses.
Car won't start troubleshooting

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
CPS - Crank Position sensor

Hi ffemtp,
Thanks for the suggestion...before I tackle it...
Wouldn't the Jetta throw a code if it is the CPS ? (P0341 error code)
I watched a YT video that demonstrates this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LwVy0wFA8

What are your thoughts ?

How about the CPS (crank position sensor)? Perhaps unplug it, and make sure the contacts are clean. Reconnect and try to start it again.

Last edited:

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Hi BobnOH, Thanks for your suggestions.
A few helpful additional info note:
The car does start and runs after a few hours of resting ( 3-5 hours usually). The I run it around the neighborhood, for about a mile, runs great, engine runs strong, I park it , wait 20 seconds, and then it wont start.
I will DEFINITELY :
1) try you injector test.
2) Check fuses again

And, yes, I'm also VERY SUSPICIOUS of the eBay part, but currently unemployed, so I gotta do the budget.

Be careful what you buy on ebay and amazon. That part may be fine.
Shouldn't we be focusing on No Start?
Seems we should get it running then diagnose the electrics.
No, not unless the temperature has stayed below 40˚
Yes.
Try loosening all 4 injectors about 1/3 turn, put out some rags and crank. You should get spray.
Another common thing is stuck ASV.
Check all your fuses.
Car won't start troubleshooting

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Uhoh - suggestions

Hi Uhoh,
Thanks for keeping the help coming.
I have not tested the CPS or replaced it. Today was first time I even heard of it.
The code was : P0722
Exactly like this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYzakftPHik

I have a basic OBDII, can it check for "STORED CODES" ? I did not see that in the basic menu.
I have his one : https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...-40cd-8652-a26a610572f0.jpg._CB311135732_.jpg

Fuel gauge is working, Speedo is not.

And the WORST IS : the car cuts out and dies completely after about 15 min of running.
I pull to sidewalk...push the car from the street ( oh the embarassment), and wait 5 hours, then turn key, and it starts again, drive it back home and back to same same.
Driving me insane.

-Jenxo

CEL is one thing, stored codes is another. Need to see what the stored codes, if any, are.

So, basically, speedo reporting issues, changed CPS, and now still the same symptoms? Did you test the old CPS at all? (I'm sure there's some way of doing it- I am not knowledgeable on how to do that.)

One has to be careful about going strictly by what the codes are indicating. What was the actual code that was being triggered? You have the same problems but now no code for the CPS?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Hi Uhoh,
Thanks for keeping the help coming.
I have not tested the CPS or replaced it. Today was first time I even heard of it.
The code was : P0722
Exactly like this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYzakftPHik
I have a basic OBDII, can it check for "STORED CODES" ? I did not see that in the basic menu.
I have his one : https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...-40cd-8652-a26a610572f0.jpg._CB311135732_.jpg
Fuel gauge is working, Speedo is not.
And the WORST IS : the car cuts out and dies completely after about 15 min of running.
I pull to sidewalk...push the car from the street ( oh the embarassment), and wait 5 hours, then turn key, and it starts again, drive it back home and back to same same.
Driving me insane.
-Jenxo
No a generic code reader cannot pull the right codes.
You need to do one of 3 things. Go to local vw shop, the stealership, or get a Vag-Com.
Have them scan for codes and get on the right path.
I got a Vag-Com
Only mandatory things show in obd2 readers.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Jenxo , if you can make it to Chatsworth I'll scan it.
That's a lot of 15 min stretches, though!
Always check every electrical connection including under the battery.

Last edited:

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Chatsworth

Howdy Flee,
Thanks for the opportunity. Will report back and let u know,

Jenxo , if you can make it to Chatsworth I'll scan it.
That's a lot of 15 min stretches, though!
Always check every electrical connection including under the battery.

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Need Mechanic Recommendation > Southern California

Hi,
Dying here.
I'm not skilled at this, and no time, working long hours at work. Gotta give up trying it myself.

Can anyone recommend an HONEST and REASONABLE PRICED Mechanic in :
Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County ?

Thanks
Jenxo