First time maintenance questions

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 13.6K RIP:04 Jetta TDI 285K
Howdy fellas!
First I would like to thank you all for having me in the TDIclub! This is a highly recomended site, Thanks! And thank you all who helped me with some other questions here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=343443 THANKS!

OK, I want to change the oil and filter, fuel filter and air filter. I think the Previous Owner (PO) used synthetic oil in it before.
Should I continue with Synthetic oil?
What grade oil should I use (DC area)?
How much oil does it hold?
What kind of filter/s should I use?
Are there any tricks to perform these simple tasks?
What else should I do?
Are there any modifications you all recomend?
The vehicle has 180K miles and I don't know the history of the timing belt so I want to change it as soon as I save enough to have it done. I hhave been told that there are special tools/calibration machine needed to do this task so I think I am going to let the stealership handle it....hopefully with in the next 3 months.
Thanks in advanced for the replies and thanks again for being here!
Ian

drrck

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MKIV
5-40 Mobil 1 TDT or Shell Rotella T
4.5 ish quarts of oil capacity
I've had luck getting Bosch filters from Autozone, otherwise get them online or from the dealer.

I'd recommend RC1+ for more fun with your ride without too many modifications needed.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
RC = Rocket Chip ... it's a brand of "tune". You have several choices from the trusted mechanics list (top of the TDI 101 page on this forum) to choose from in the DC area. Forget about having a dealership do your timing belt ...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Supposidely you are supposed to use a 5W-40 weight, VW 505.01 rated, oil because of the extreme camshaft loading due to the unit injectors in the head. I use Motul with these specifications, buy it from the VW dealer at about $7.50 a liter. Many on this list also use the Shell and Mobil oils mentioned above with great results. The BEW engine holds about 5 quarts, but I check it after I get 4 in and then top off after I've started the engine and filled the filter up. I use a Pela 6000 oil extractor for all oil changes (suck the oil right out of the dipstick tube) and that way I do not have to remove the belly pan (I have a 35 pound steel skid plate installed in place of the crap factory plastic cover).

As for oil (and any other filters and parts) I use OEM whenever possible. OEM does not mean dealer bought. There are several great vendors available that you can mail order parts from and for substantial savings over the VW dealer. I personally use MANN filters.

Heed my warning: MANY dealers have ruined TDI engines by messing up timing belt changes. This list is riddled with dealer-replaced timing belt horror stories. I would either read up on performing this maintenance item yourself, or take it to someone who knows and cares about VW TDIs. You can find those folks through this list.

--Nate

Last edited: