Quick Oil & Filter Change Question...

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I am about to change the O&F in my 2015 Passat TDI (EA288). I ordered an oil change kit from IDparts and it came with 6L of oil. A quick look in the owners man. states the capacity is 4.3L (4.5qts) with filter. I could have sworn the capacity was 5.5L? Not sure what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PS: It was ID's site that says the capacity is 5.5L......?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
dip sticks are amazing devices to trust and verify what you need in the sump.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^When in doubt, add a minimum of 4l, check, then add .5l at a time until correct.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
That is.... Assuming the dipstick was cut right.

I've seen one Vw dipstick where the entire cross hatch section was missing. But many more non-Vw dipstick exhibiting short man syndrome.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
True EXCEPT..... when planning ahead to confirm quantities needed and oil HASN'T been drained yet...the dip stick will tell nothing.

Or, (worse) case scenario I could see happening is NOT planning ahead, having the car up on ramps, oil drained and then finding out the discrepancy. Kind of a pain to lower car, fill, check, put back on ramps just to get the belly pan back on......We all don't have lifts.....few extra PITA steps. So the "Plan Ahead" method is best.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
call me daring, I've always topped up once belly pan is back on at the level spots at the nearest filling stations.

I've always tossed in about .5qrt shy of what the sump holds, if you thought the sump held 4.5 but held 5.5 and only put in 4, that could be some bad mojo.