What did you do to your MKIV today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since IBW is a GL trim, it has crank windows, manual mirrors, and that hard plastic steering wheel and shifter. The wheel was unpleasant enough that I found a cover from an Italian company called Isotta. It was a little hard on the fingers to install, but shows only a little wear after 17+ years.

I bought one for my 1st '99.5 Golf, and somehow when I sold that car I ended up with the wheel. So I swapped it onto my current '99.5 Golf. Tried to find a new one a few years ago and I think they're no longer available.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
The top of my steering wheel is starting to deteriorate, UV I assume.
With my GLS trim it's otherwise just fine, not quite sure what you call it,
it does have a certain amount of give and frankly is ok other than where
it's getting a bit "granular".

For $27, the cover that Caddy found, I'll have a go at stitching. My bet is
that removal will make the job a lot easier.
The range of pricing is quite extraordinary.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Had the cat removed today, it was pretty dirty, but. It quite clogged. Car runs so much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Did an Italian tune on the way home from work this morning. I hadn’t done one in a while and the smoke screen that it laid down was impressive.

WashMachine

TDI
VW Golf MKIV 1.9 AHF
Cleaned inside of fender liners on my MKIV...
A LOT of dirt. I may write a short topic on that if there isnt one later

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Gotta do that to mine too. Perhaps when it gets a wee bit warmer.
cheers,
Douglas
Did mine again today after 2 years, they were FULL again.

Did oil change, fuel filter change, trans fluid drain & refill.
Also FINALLY got a chance to use my charge air system pressure tester. Proceeded to find my intercooler was cracked along with a ruined fender liner. So $383 later my order from IDPARTS will hopefully be here this week.

Last edited:

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Did mine again today after 2 years, they were FULL again.

Did oil change, fuel filter change, trans fluid drain & refill.
Also FINALLY got a chance to use my charge air system pressure tester. Proceeded to find my intercooler was cracked along with a ruined fender liner. So $383 later my order from IDPARTS will hopefully be here this week.

If my inner fender is damaged behind the inner cooler, is that something that should be replaced for any particular reason? It was already broken when I bought the car .

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Ditto last Fall.
I'm hoping it makes a difference in my intake air temp in the summer running AC and when under hard acceleration. I've seen as high as 220*F on my scanguage. I'm sure a new functioning intercooler will help too (old one cracked where aluminum meets plastic).

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I did the vented fender liner and an upgraded SMIC. No idea of IAT, but
the car loves the combo! There's more air going to the motor.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Gave it a wash and put summer wheels on. Still dirty spots are from "fluid film", trying to slow down the rust.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

WashMachine

TDI
VW Golf MKIV 1.9 AHF
Fixed a glow plug cable end which was broken using end from old stereo i had. Those round ones that just click inti each other for power and even used the silicone boot that was on it. It's a perfect fit :D

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
What's the story behind that?
The running theory is a slight hit bent the valve stem PO didn't notice sold it to me and it gernaded two months later. If I can't find a block for a decent price I may part what's left out if I can't sell it whole and get a new to me MK5.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Ok, so the picture is looking up from the bottom, through the bore (light at the top) and there's a nick/chip in the block at the bottom of the bore?

Presumably a valve timing issue (failed belt job?)

If that's the case, how did it chip the bottom of the bore?

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Today I replaced the rear axle bushings. The rubber was starting to separate from the metal sleeves, and was starting to dry-rot. So I replaced them with Whiteline urethane bushings.

The crusty old bushings put up a fight. They came out in pieces.

The urethane bushings installed easily. They're 2-piece bushings, so they're easier to press in. But reinstalling the axle beam was a struggle. It was a VERY tight fit. I had to use ratchet straps and a pry bar to coax it in place. Here's the victory shot:

Time for a beer. ;)

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Ok, so the picture is looking up from the bottom, through the bore (light at the top) and there's a nick/chip in the block at the bottom of the bore?

Presumably a valve timing issue (failed belt job?)

If that's the case, how did it chip the bottom of the bore?
I assume it happened when the rod bent. There's so much damage it's hard to say. Even Frank was impressed.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I started the process of replacing the sagging cloth door card panels yesterday. Got the rear panels swapped with vinyl-leather. They look so much nicer.

I decided against glue and ended up using small zip ties to attach the panels to the door cards. Seems pretty solid.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I decided against glue and ended up using small zip ties to attach the panels to the door cards. Seems pretty solid.
Can you explain the zip tie method? I tried reattaching the door panels with hot glue, but it melts in the Florida heat. :rolleyes:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Can you explain the zip tie method? I tried reattaching the door panels with hot glue, but it melts in the Florida heat. :rolleyes:
I considered a glue gun but was concerned about it melting in the California heat. You just confirmed my concern. I thought about melting plastic tabs, silicon adhesive, glue or even JB Weld, but nothing sounded appealing to me.

Doing a thousand yard stare in my garage for about 10 minutes, I came up with a solution.

After cutting out the old panel insert with a box cutter knife, I then trimmed the remaining tabs down past where they were melted, but still leaving the wide base part of the tab.

Next, I used a soldering iron, with a hot knife tip attachment, to melt small holes in the remaining tab bases. I ran a small zip through each hole, one or two for each remaining tab base.

I threaded each zip tie up and through each associated slit on the replacement panel insert. Then, incrementally tightened each zip tie as I worked around the panel, like tensioning a bike wheel, until the replacement panel was held firmly in place.

The panel is solid when I push on it. Don't have to worry about glue failing in a few years and will be easy to replace in the future, if ever needed.

I still have to do the fronts, maybe I should make a video.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I considered a glue gun but was concerned about it melting in the California heat. You just confirmed my concern. I thought about melting plastic tabs, silicon adhesive, glue or even JB Weld, but nothing sounded appealing to me.

Doing a thousand yard stare in my garage for about 10 minutes, I came up with a solution.

After cutting out the old panel insert with a box cutter knife, I then trimmed the remaining tabs down past where they were melted, but still leaving the wide base part of the tab.

Next, I used a soldering iron, with a hot knife tip attachment, to melt small holes in the remaining tab bases. I ran a small zip through each hole, one or two for each remaining tab base.

I threaded each zip tie up and through each associated slit on the replacement panel insert. Then, incrementally tightened each zip tie as I worked around the panel, like tensioning a bike wheel, until the replacement panel was held firmly in place.

The panel is solid when I push on it. Don't have to worry about glue failing in a few years and will be easy to replace in the future, if ever needed.

I still have to do the fronts, maybe I should make a video.

Video and or pics would be great. Haven’t attempted to do anything with mine due to the way they are put in.