Winter Grill Blocking Cover - Anyone?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
IDParts sells them for early TDI's not late model); wondering if anyone experimented with DIY grill blocking for cold weather?

It does not get cold enough around these parts (most of the time) to really worry about it. I do have a frost heater I use... and yes it is great. Even if it's in the mid high 40's, when I start up the engine is quite (for a diesel), and is up to operating temps....

Anyway I can't always plug the frost heater in... and figure restricting the airflow a little bit would help warm it up faster and keep it warm. Comments, suggestions, opinions?

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
Using foam insulation for water pipe work flawlessly and without tyraps. You need 3/4 inch I think.

I done it for my 2011 last year and it took like 5 min less to gain full working temp at -25 celsius. This paired with the block heater and you are good to save fuel this winter.

Last edited:

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
I dunno... I seem to get plenty of heat in reasonable time from my JSW here in cold NH. Heated seats fill the short time to warm-up pretty well. Come to think of it, my B4 wasn't too bad either. Maybe I'm just cold blooded? :)

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I dunno... I seem to get plenty of heat in reasonable time from my JSW here in cold NH. Heated seats fill the short time to warm-up pretty. Come to think of it, my B4 wasn't too bad either. Maybe I'm just cold blooded? :)
I feel ya man the heated seats make me sweat even in the cold with the heat off :p

glennco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG
I also do the foam pipe insulation. It definitely helps, and doesn't seem to restrict airflow to the dpf too much

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Which area do you guys block with the foam insulation? The bottom part of the grill or the part where the VW logo is?

Thanks!

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
OK, that's what I've been doing too, though it didn't help me with my IC not freezing up and then water being ingested into the engine. :( So I'm not really sure how much of an effect it really has. That's why I was wondering if you were blocking the top part instead.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
IDParts has a design for the 2010+ Golf TDI in the works. Should be ready by the end of the month.

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
Cold Weather Covers

I have been corresponding with Tim at Velocity Upholstery regarding covers. Somewhere there are pictures of covers he has made for other models. They look great and are reasonably priced. He even offers to do an embroidered TDI logo. The catch is he hasn't made a set yet to fit JSWs so he needs to make a pattern. If anyone is within a reasonable distance of him - Vancouver area - and will be the test/fitting vehicle please contact him.
www.velocityupholstery.com

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
^+1. After seeing that thread last year I gave it a try and it worked out really well for me, and you cant hardly tell the foam is there. Only thing that really got in my way was the dang front license plate holder. Less than $10 in parts and 15min of DIY work, can't complain about that. The PITA part of using the foam is getting it notched in the right spots so that it can fit in flush, other than that, worked and looked great.

Also, no need to use the adhesive that comes on the tubing, it wedges it's self in there pretty good. Over several months of use I didn't run into a single instance of it trying to come off, or even coming close to come off.

good luck.
J

Last edited:

hardcore84

TDI
TDI
^+1. After seeing that thread last year I gave it a try and it worked out really well for me, and you cant hardly tell the foam is there. Only thing that really got in my way was the dang front license plate holder. Less than $10 in parts and 15min of DIY work, can't complain about that.

Did mine yesterday after the storm finally moved out and I'll say, you can hardly notice. I just took the plate holder off so I didn't have to monkey with trying to get the foam behind it. 4 phillips headed screws is all that holds it on my '09. Not sure about the '11s though.

Last edited:

dave97

TDI
Golf
I just tried the foam in the grill test. I did a test using the temp sensor (not the guage). Car sat all night, 32 degrees both days, same trip, same driving. No difference. Car did not warm-up any faster. This makes me think that the thermostat is working. Would be interested in someone wlse doing a test.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
With 32F outside temps you probably are not going to see a big difference. Blocking air flow to the radiator works in the extreme cold situations (zero F or lower) or at high speeds with slightly 'warmer' temps.

Also, air flow restriction helps eliminate _slow_ warm up of the engine. It does not increase the speed of warming up. Where it is perceived to increase the speed/time to warm up is when it is cold enough to have a slow warm up interval without the airflow restriction. You likely did not have these conditions so would not notice a difference.

Plus, while the DIY foam or commercial grill covers help they don't restrict all air flow. So, if the foam has enough gaps it won't lead to as noticeable a benefit unless the outside temps are extremely low.

Finally, the modern VAG TDI engines warm up much more like a gas engine. The days of long waits for the temp needle to move enough to get warm air from the heater are behind us IMO. It may not be quite as rapid as a modern gasser engine but it is pretty darn close.

I have a frostheater set-up on my MK3 Jetta. I don't feel I'll be needing a similar set up with my JSW. But, I'll continue to evaluate as the temps get really cold in the next couple of months!

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
My car took 16 miles on the highway to warm up this morning. I believe it was about 8ºF outside. Oh and i use my electric heater hymato.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Some mornings on my 30 mile commute, I can hardly get to full OT. Even with my grill fully blocked with foam (top and bottom), and 3 hours on the FrostHeater, it can be 18 minutes in 0*F weather to get up to 190*F. Coasting down hills it will drop in that weather as well. Any blocking I can get helps.

Oh yeah. This is my first year with no EGR either.... did NOT help the warm up situation...

glennco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG
IDParts has a design for the 2010+ Golf TDI in the works. Should be ready by the end of the month.
Any word on this, I'm very interested in what you guys have come up with. I'm currently convinced the foam insulation isn't sealing it up enough.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We're working on it, but we've been delayed a bit because of the overwhelming number of A4 front orders. We had no idea these would be so popular. I think we'll be able to work on this in the next few weeks.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I have the frostheater and while it's hasn't gotten to -30 it's a help for sure. I may look into this foam as well.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
I'm in the same boat. No egr and front grill completely blocked. Takes 20 min to get up to temp on real cold days.
Well that makes me feel a little better, Lou. I was almost starting to think there is something wrong with my car, but you are the 2nd person with EGR delete on a cold weather CR car to confirm the same symptoms.

Are you running your grill COMPLETELY blocked, or just doing the foam thing like me? The foam still allows far too much air through for anything below 10*F in my opinion. I'm contemplating inserting some cardboard behind the grill, but that isn't as easy to remove when it jumps in the 40's like it has the past 3 days here in Maine.

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
That's because your HVAC system has a built-in electric heater in it, to give you heat before the engine warms up. :)
Everyone keeps saying this, but my car clearly does not. The hvac blows cold until I have at least some operating temp in the engine. Either that, or mine is broken.

I drove 1000 miles from Denver to Huntsville, TX 2 weeks ago and it was 8F when I left the house. I barely got 37mpg over the trip averaging 75mph. When I got to my parents' house my Dad had some 3/4" insulation. I blocked off the bottom grill and managed to get the same 37mpg going home (uphill) in roughly the same temperature. So, I'd say it works.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Everyone keeps saying this, but my car clearly does not. The hvac blows cold until I have at least some operating temp in the engine. Either that, or mine is broken.

I drove 1000 miles from Denver to Huntsville, TX 2 weeks ago and it was 8F when I left the house. I barely got 37mpg over the trip averaging 75mph. When I got to my parents' house my Dad had some 3/4" insulation. I blocked off the bottom grill and managed to get the same 37mpg going home (uphill) in roughly the same temperature. So, I'd say it works.
I haven't run into any evidence that there is an electric HVAC heater either. My air blows cold until the temp needle starts to move.