WTB Jetta Wagon TDI 2002-2003

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI (DuluthRooster's former ride)
I am a noob to this group and I have been lurking for a while prior to joining up, gathering knowledge. I am a longtime fan of diesels, grew up with diesel M-Bs in the family and the former owner of a recently deceased 92 M-B diesel (450K mi.) I have been admiring VW diesels from afar for a long time and now circumstances present its self to act.

I am looking for a 2002-2003 (preferably 2003) Jetta Wagon GLS TDI under 115K mi, but with the proper maintenance done (fresh timing chain, etc.) Unfortunately, due to a decree from the significant other, it has to be a slush box tranny. As in everything in life, I am looking for one that is gently loved. Price? In the reasonable and right range for the state of the car. I am located just outside of Tampa and am willing to travel to find the right one, but time and other constraints put a distance limit to include Georgia, in addition to Florida.

Thank you for your help and guidance in this endeavor and it is an honor to join a group so passionate about a really neat vehicle.

Stumblingthunder

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I wish I could help you as I was looking for the same several months ago. I settled for a very clean, low mileage Golf I found nearby. They (wagons) are hard to find in that condition for a reasonable (whatever that is?) price. Keep you eyes open on Craigslist, this forum, and eBay and be ready to pull the trigger quickly. Although an automatic should be easier to find due to its inherant failure tendencies and replacement cost issues.

Good luck,

Tony

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI (DuluthRooster's former ride)
Price Range I am aiming for is $10-15k, appropriate for mileage, wear, etc. I am refreshing my searches several times a day on autotrader.com, cars.com, crazedlist.org (to cover multiple Craigslist markets) and ebay motors.

There was one in Clearwater FL that came up on autotrader.com that was in the price range, but the car was missing many accessory parts, ie head rests in the rear seats, the privacy cover for the under the hatch area, and had a lot of signs of less than complete care. Apparently it had been sitting at the Pinellas Auto Auction lot for a week, and the 'dealer' who met us could not get it started. Both my wife and I go the heabes about the man and the vehicle and left. 10min later he called stating he had it started and got irate that we were no longer interested in it. Prior to that two that were available in the past week slipped through my fingers before I had my financial ducks in order to move ahead.

So, I am continuing to look.

Stumblingthunder

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You have the right approach. Keep looking and the right one will turn up. With the price of diesel so high, there are folks who will be seeing gassers as what they want to move into. My Golf purchase was from a young man that bought the car new and had it serviced at the dealer from day one. He had to replace an injection pump (was leaking and the dealer talked him into it) at a cost of about $1600.00. A seal job would have been MUCH less. Plus his wife really wanted a "bigger" SUV. While I paid top dollar, I got a very nice Golf with a complete service history and a new injection pump.

So, they are out there.:D

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
There's an automatic wagon for sale in Rathdrum, Idaho for $12.5k, 91,000 miles, new timing belt (don't know particulars).

It's about 45 minutes from Spokane, might be worth a flight out here if you can't find one closer.

I MIGHT be able to check it out for you (have vag-com, did my own timing belt, know my way around these pretty well) if you're really serious and could chip in a paltry sum for my time.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/612528819.html