What a 120k 5sp 02 2 dr. Golf Worth?

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Car is clean no rust and all service history . Looking for actual thoughts on value I know it’s worth what anyone will pay so let’s jist say what would be a good reasonable deal .

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That's pretty low miles. What features does it have? Leather seats? Cloth? Color? Heated seats? Power windows? That kinda stuff.

In this area a low milage golf would go for quite a lot, they're very hyped up. It'd probably run $3500-$4000 assuming it's in excellent shape and has all the bells and whistles.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Pretty basic package. Just power windows and cloth and cruise .

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say closer to $3200 then. Engine itself is worth around $1200 with that low of miles. And like I said, people are still hyped about them golf's.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a GL trim, that is how the 2dr Golfs were sold. By 2002, they cursed power windows as standard on everything. All TDIs sold here got cruise.

So basically it is a base Golf with one option checked: the TDI engine.

It is probably worth $3500 or so to the right person.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
It is a GL trim, that is how the 2dr Golfs were sold. By 2002, they cursed power windows as standard on everything. All TDIs sold here got cruise.
So basically it is a base Golf with one option checked: the TDI engine.
It is probably worth $3500 or so to the right person.
My 2002 GL had manual windows.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Well after driving 6hrs today both ways I find out the car has rust in the front and rear rockers and makes some weird noise on start up . Guy wouldn’t come off $4800! The hunt continues. Yes it had manual windows also .

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good call. Low mile engines aren't worth that much, and then having a pile of rust attached to them too? No thanks lol

Kinda sticks how they're a hype car. Good luck.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Also, low mileage or not, all the rubber bits are 17 years old.

Sellers put way too much value in "low mileage".

It really seems that cars don't like to "not be used", they seem to rot from the inside out when they sit.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My 2002 GL had manual windows.

You are correct, it was 2003 then.

I love manual windows... I call them "lifetime" windows. Unfortunately, the door latches are not, so even on my '99.5 GL I'm going to have to tear both doors apart. :(

I agree about the low mileage part often having too much value placed upon it, however usually these cars were not just left sitting outside in the elements. They were garaged, and often only driven on nicer days by elderly people. Also, since they have covered less distance, they've required less mileage based service, which means less chances of butchers with tools inflicting Crimes Against Mechanicals on them as well as severe neglect. They've also had less chances to be crashed or crashed into. And I have found owners are far more likely to fix or upgrade something on a low mileage car than a higher mileage one, because there is this false sense of a limited lifetime placed upon a car. So more chances for neglect to pile up. There are certainly exceptions to every rule but this is my observation from being in the auto service industry for several decades.

I would still look at the car objectively first, and not be too terribly concerned about the numbers in the odometer until I had a better idea of the overall condition of the car.

Last edited: