Oil leak/top of oil filter housing

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
Hi, I have an oilguard bypass filter system installed with oil lines running to the top of the oil filter housing. Despite my best efforts over the years, I can't get one of them to stop seeping oil. I've swapped the hoses and removed/resealed the brass nipple fitting. Is there some other kind of sealant that works well for sealing the threads going into the housing?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You need to be more specific, Are these AN Fittings? Swivel? NPT?
If its NPT, there is a very specific Torque you need to not exceed, more people do though.
Locktight sells a variety of metal thread sealants, teflon tape is for poor hobo's who cant pay child support!, JK, no but seriously teflon tape is junk. If you DO insist on teflon tape, make sure its the BLACK or RED, yellow is for gas lines, and white is for trailer homes!
I hate anyting that can get into your oil system and clog it up. I cant tell you how many POS builds i have torn down to find the cause of a sized engine, only to find, RTV gasket maker, Teflon tape, BOILER THREAD SEALER, and a few other crazy things stuffed up into the oil pickup. the red and black teflon tape must be used properly becuase once its compressed it gets hard and falls into the oil system, you need to apply it a few threads BACK from the edge of the fitting to make sure it doew NOT go into the oil supply. Same with ALL thread sealants, get it started 2 threads deep, then add the sealer material to the threads, like liquid thread sealer etc....

If its an AN fitting, throw it away and go buy Earls, if it is an erls, have them fix it, they warentee there stuff for life! well almost!

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
You need to be more specific, Are these AN Fittings? Swivel? NPT?
If its NPT, there is a very specific Torque you need to not exceed, more people do though.
Locktight sells a variety of metal thread sealants, teflon tape is for poor hobo's who cant pay child support!, JK, no but seriously teflon tape is junk. If you DO insist on teflon tape, make sure its the BLACK or RED, yellow is for gas lines, and white is for trailer homes!
I hate anyting that can get into your oil system and clog it up. I cant tell you how many POS builds i have torn down to find the cause of a sized engine, only to find, RTV gasket maker, Teflon tape, BOILER THREAD SEALER, and a few other crazy things stuffed up into the oil pickup. the red and black teflon tape must be used properly becuase once its compressed it gets hard and falls into the oil system, you need to apply it a few threads BACK from the edge of the fitting to make sure it doew NOT go into the oil supply. Same with ALL thread sealants, get it started 2 threads deep, then add the sealer material to the threads, like liquid thread sealer etc....

If its an AN fitting, throw it away and go buy Earls, if it is an erls, have them fix it, they warentee there stuff for life! well almost!
It appears to be NPT into the oil filter housing and nipple on the other end. I have already applied thread sealer to it last summer. Stopped for a while but then came back. Guess I'll try another brand.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If its brass and or aluminum, dont toque it down past 20 Ft Lb, best results i have had come from chasing those threads with an NPT tap (remember its tapered) to be easy You want 3/4 of the threads mated, thats one of the issues your probably having as many makers of NPT parts all do it slightly different and some parts just barley have any threads mated before it torques out, then you baboon arm it to make it work and it snaps off the threads or cracks them.
Your probably going to need new fittings.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you're running remote filter system then you must be running some kind of adapter at the filter stand, underneath the oil cooler?

There are different types of adapters that are used and as Mongler said the thread type matters.

If the adapter at the filter stand is aluminum are you sure that it doesn't have a crack in it somewhere? With NPT fittings you have to be very careful not to overtighten them otherwise the cast aluminum will crack.

If that's not the case then I would try a little teflon tape but even with that be careful about how tight you make them.

Steve

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
sounds like the parts and/or threads there may be defective. check if you can get warranty replacement for both parts. sounds like the base that has the oil filter or multiple filters and the fitting probably with the hose, etc.

if you already have used a sealer and it didnt work, for one, you may have caused problems already, you just may not be aware of it,,yet.
a sealer on threads in oil passages or water passages, etc, is a one-time deal. its actually a rather amateurish attempt to fix. or a last-resort. once you put sealer on threads the deed is done. as soon/if you ever loosen these parts the sealer becomes no longer 'solid' it now is in big and smaller 'chunks' if you will. you can never be sure or be able to clean all of these debris out. as you put the threads back together this is where the deed gets done. the debris that at one time was made to 'fix' you motor,problem, will travel down the threads. it can take an instant or several days or even longer. this debris can and tends to block passages. and its flow into a system can be constant. like an artery it tends to clog, if there is a restriction it will add to blockage.