Website to see what happen to buyback?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I sold my 2014 Passat SE back to VW in Jan of 2018.
Since it was a 6-speed manual I knew it was going to be crushed. Using the link below I was able to find out when and where.
I also know that mine was crushed too. I don't have to check. Not only was it a 6M, but it was also a 2009 (needs new DPF too), and it was due for a timing belt change. In all other ways, it was rust free and in great shape.

What a waste of time, money, and so many good cars.:(

Concur. I still miss the torque from my tuned CBEA (302 ft-lbs on the dyno). I would have happily paid for a timing belt and kept driving it, but VW had to offer me an insane amount of money for it. I could not think of a good enough reason to turn them down.

Have Fun!

Don

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I also know that mine was crushed too. I don't have to check. Not only was it a 6M, but it was also a 2009 (needs new DPF too), and it was due for a timing belt change. In all other ways, it was rust free and in great shape.

I would have happily paid for a timing belt and kept driving it, but VW had to offer me an insane amount of money for it. I could not think of a good enough reason to turn them down.

Have Fun! Don
I was holding out for a fix for the CKRA 6-speed manuals. Before VW announced there would be no fix for my 2014 car, I did some research on what I could sell my 2014 for and buy a 2015 equivalent model for. It was a stupid easy decision to sell my 2014 back and buy my 2015 SE 6-speed manual and get the huge extended warranty. After I bought my 2015 replacement car and sold my unfixible 2014 car, VW announced a few months later there would be no fix for the 2012-2014 Passat SE with 6-speed manuals. So my hunch worked out and I came out ahead by $4k.

I do like the CVCA engine in the 2015 better than the CKRA engine I had in the 2014. The 2015 has only had the phase-1 fix. I'm on a waiting list for the phase-2. I'm in no hurry.

Drive more and worry less.

:)

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
The 2015 has only had the phase-1 fix. I'm on a waiting list for the phase-2. I'm in no hurry.

I'm in the same boat regarding my 2015 Passat TDI, but not sure I want the fix due to all the bad feedback pertaining to loss of fuel efficiency.

Also.....you should not park on the lawn. I see that in Texas quite a bit and it's always tacky.

:rolleyes:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Also.....you should not park on the lawn. I see that in Texas quite a bit and it's always tacky.

:rolleyes:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAaaa... I 'posed' the car on my lawn for the photo.

I park my cars in my garage.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
*aggressively presses F on keyboard*

funny part is that a lot of these high mileage cars were in great condition. mine wasn't road legal so I understand it. 112,000 miles when VW reported it, which is hardly even starting to wear

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe on the engine but other parts of the car show wear at 100k miles. Anything rubber or plastic are some of the things. Brakes and such as well. Just because the engine may go 300, 400 or 500 thousand miles doesn't make all the other parts immune to it.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
100k is also a line where financing changes, making those cars a harder sell.

NewEngland

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I turned in my car September 2018 to a Connecticut dealer. I've been googling the VIN and it finally hit at a VW dealer in Ohio. It was only there about 2 weeks. I got about $34,000 for the car and the asking price was $15,000. With a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty for a loaded car with just 44,000 miles, it was a good purchase for someone, especially if they rack up a lot of miles.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
There is some confusion about buy-back cars being titled in MI. All buy-back cars are titled in MI because VW's tech services are all in Ann Arbor, MI. The cars are not shipped to MI to do this. VW has holding areas all over the country, including the site of the old Pontiac Superdome so there are some cars in MI. VW has regional sites to bring cars into compliance that are going to be sold back.

After my 2014 car was sold back to VW, it was shipped to the holding lot at the shuttered Mitsubishi auto plant in Bloomington/Normal, IL. Then it was shipped to who ever has the contract to crush cars in the region.

When my son bought his buy-back 2015 Passat SEL TDI, the car was originally bought in the Phoenix area, sold back to VW at one of the Phoenix dealerships, upgraded locally, and sold back locally. The car had a MI title but never left the Phoenix area.

Some more VW trivia: VW of NA HQ was in Ann Arbor, MI until 2007. This location covered both US and Canadian markets. Then VW decided to split the US and Canadian operations. VW opened a new US HQ in Herndon, VA, and the Canadian HQ was moved to Ajax, ON.

The Herndon, VA location is the corporate HQ, sales, product planning, marketing, call center, warranty center, and VW Credit. The Ann Arbor location handles all engineering and tech services. So this is how the separation works, when customers call VW and complain about whatever, the calls goes to Herndon. Dealership tech support calls all go to Ann Arbor.

Last edited: