good injectors balance check with vcds?

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I'm reasonably sure that my dd 2001 needs new injectors (440,000 km's/273,000 miles). The info here will be interesting.

TDI
'15 Audi Q7 TDi, 01 Eurovan 2.5 TDi
New (reconditioned Bosch) injectors on a 5 cylinder AJT (+ intercooler) with idle injection values seen in the video link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLslZAfOWEOcLReJpEMz1OcFVJA_1F6u/view?usp=drivesdk

Not really any smoke to speak of, but motor feels underpowered, though much better than previous Stanadyne injectors. Not throwing any fault codes.

Any thoughts on why cylinder 4 has the deviation - does it being the needle lift injector have any effect on the idle value?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
PTP,

I would have no joy in those values. When there is that amount of deviation, switch the worst two. In this case, switch #1 and #4 and see what happens. If the deviation follows the injector, it's the injector. If deviation follows the cylinder, then you either have bad rings, valves or worse. Rarely does the pump make one injector falter.

I assume your readings are at idle. Normally, when looking at values, we open VCDS/ engine module/ block 13/ 15 and 10. Idle balance, Liter per hour fuel usage and correct me if I'm wrong, but engine speed/ water temp. Maybe 7?

The block 15 should show as low as .2lpm, but is acceptable at .4-.6. Since nearly all the fuel required at idle is provided by the first stage, NoP1, we also run the engine up to 1500rpm and that will make the NoP2, second stage activate and the numbers will alter yet again. the lpn may rise to 1.8 to 2.8. The closer to 0.0 on gr/ str each nozzle runs, and the smaller the lph number, the better they will fuel efficiently.

Much of what we have done is experiment (bang head against wall) to find effective procedure. Some injector installers warranty only pop pressures; not flow values. We see that as a big problem. The flow values are the amount of fuel entering the combustion chamber and that is the most important value to get an engine to accurately balance fuel to each cylinder.