How To: Getting that eBay cable to work!

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
bashoro said:
So I think I have scoured the Ross-tech site sufficiently in search of this demo version of 409. I think I may be confused. Is there an actual free demo still available to download and use? If so where is it on the site? If it's on there it looks like it is hidden well. I am rolling in a 2002 jetta. I need to look at my injection timing.
If you get it to tell you injection timing, share it. My version of 4.09 will not give injection timing, I tried.

BeartheBruce

Vendor
Right, in shareware mode, neither 409 nor VCDSLite support the TDI timing checker. Only the full version of these support the TDIgraph function. Full licenses costs $99.

Please note: 311 and 409 have been replaced by VCDSLite because users asked for an updated copy! VCDSLite is still available as a free download with limited capability just as 311 and 409 were.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
NB_TDi said:
Nope, still no direct USB support. A FTDI driver still must be used.
Because eBay cables really aren't "USB" cables. They're a Serial interface with a FTDI Serial<->USB chip shoehorned in somewhere.

Idahosnoman

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have a 2010 Jetta Sedan. I am considering purchasing the ebay cable so I can fix the phone menu (This is just the reason for my purchase) on the MFI. I have looked at the Ebay cables and they say they are not compatible with CAN which I am sure my vehicle is. I would like someone to verify this, and possible link me to an Ebay cable that will link to my 2010 Jetta Sedan.

If this is not available, then I will possibly purchase the Ross kit if my dealer can't fix the phone menu.

penclnck

Idahosnoman said:
I have a 2010 Jetta Sedan. I am considering purchasing the ebay cable so I can fix the phone menu (This is just the reason for my purchase) on the MFI. I have looked at the Ebay cables and they say they are not compatible with CAN which I am sure my vehicle is. I would like someone to verify this, and possible link me to an Ebay cable that will link to my 2010 Jetta Sedan.

If this is not available, then I will possibly purchase the Ross kit if my dealer can't fix the phone menu.
Your car uses the CAN BUS system, not supported by the older style of cables like one finds on eBay. There is no legit 3rd party supplying a CAN BUS capable cable that works with Ross Tech's VCDS.

Ross Tech does sell the micro-CAN cable, $249 and that includes the full version of the latest release of VCDS software. The micro-CAN cable only works on CAN BUS diag cars, 2005.5 and newer, so your 2010 car is no problem, but a 2004 Jetta it would not work on.

If you feel like you might need to scan older cars as well, then you would need the HEX-USB+CAN, $349 (full version of the software included) and it works on pretty much 1994 up to current VW and Audi products.

marc_el_k

TDI
OctaviaII
No answer

Hello I'm from germany and hope you understand my english and could help me?

I also bought just an cable on ebay and followed the how-to to install the newest driver on windows 7! I switched the port to Com1.

Then I was using the exact way from:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html
and tried this Light Version.

The software shows the status: Com-Port okay...
I tried to communicate with my car (Skoda Octavia 1Z) and after 4 attempts he canceled with the popup "No Answer from..."

I think I installed it correctly? Please look at my screenshot

Could anyone help me, what I'm doing wrong? Thanx for all you ideas.

Last edited:

Helmut3

TDI
Golf 2001 TDI
Ebay USB-Kabel, bzw. USB-Kabel ausser dem Kabel von Vagcom selber, funktioniert nicht immer. Serial-Kabel dagegen gehen immer. Dafuer muss man aber die aelteren Rechner mit dem Serien-Anschluss haben.

marc_el_k

TDI
OctaviaII
Okay, aber es ist ein USB-Kabel.
Geht es prinzipiell mit meinem Auto, hast du dazu vielleicht eine Info? Habe gelesen das manche Kabel nur K+ können und nicht immer auch Can-Bus unterstützen!

TDI
01 Jetta
Hi guys i have an ebay cable that i have had working in the past. After a recent computer crash I cant get it to work anymore. The cable will pass the test but wont connect to the module. It will work on my wifes Dell but has always seemed flaky on my Asus. Any ideas?

fspGTD

TDI
Rabbit GTD
Greetings, Volks!

I never could get a USB->serial converter cable working to connect to all control modules on a 2001 Golf TDI (ALH engine code) from my Windows laptop. Although I could connect to the Engine controller OK, I would often get "Can't Synch Baud Rate" errors when trying to connect with other controllers, for example #17 Instruments and also Automatic transmission and others gave problems as well.

(This became a problem when I *had* to connect to #17 Instruments, in order to adapt the immobilizer to use a new ECU.)

I picked up a PCMCIA -> Serial (RS232) converter recently however, that works perfectly across all modules. Installation was remarkably simple - just plugging it in, resulted in automatic Windows XP setup and immediately available to use (can check which COM port it sets up on in Device Manager.) With this PC card Serial converter, I can connect to all systems now. I highly recommend this solution over the problematic USB -> serial converter.

I picked this up for very little cost from the local PC Recycler. It did take some digging to find it though. I noticed there are inexpensive PCMCIA->serial converter cards on Ebay now, that might work just as well.

wfodave

TDI
n/a
Anyone have recent experience with these inexpensive eBay cables? I bought one, but I can't get the USB driver to install. VCDS-Lite installs fine. Suggestions? If anyone on the south side of Atlanta has a functioning Vag-Com setup and is willing to reset my airbag light ( I removed the seat and it came on), I'll buy you a beer or three.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Anyone have recent experience with these inexpensive eBay cables? I bought one, but I can't get the USB driver to install. VCDS-Lite installs fine. Suggestions? If anyone on the south side of Atlanta has a functioning Vag-Com setup and is willing to reset my airbag light ( I removed the seat and it came on), I'll buy you a beer or three.
What's the issue with installing the driver?

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
As I said before, please don't turn this into a cheap knock off cable bash. The cable I own is nothing more than a standard OBDII cable that came with nothing else. No CD, no drivers, no directions. So keep this thread clear for honest questions and comments.
You are asking a lot this being a forum. ;)

Don't you know that whatever someone owns is the best and nothing else could possibly be as good.

Anyway, this should be a good read since I am into tech stuff.

Maybe some of this will apply to the circuit I built for my Porsche although I did buy the Durametric code reader.

wfodave

TDI
n/a
What's the issue with installing the driver?
Well, I finally got the driver to install by turning off the requirement for digitally signed drivers during the Windows boot process, and then using the hardware wizard to manually install the drivers. But it still won't work. I downloaded the most recent version of the Vag-Com 409.1 software and installed it, but when I try to run it, I get the normal mouse pointer "thinking" display like you get when any program starts, but then it goes away and the program does not load. I then downloaded VCDS-Lite. It runs fine, but when I do the comms test, I always get "Port does not exist, interface not found". I have tried every combination of physical USB port and COM port assigned. I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I am.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
You are asking a lot this being a forum. ;)

Don't you know that whatever someone owns is the best and nothing else could possibly be as good.

Anyway, this should be a good read since I am into tech stuff.

Maybe some of this will apply to the circuit I built for my Porsche although I did buy the Durametric code reader.
You do realize that this entire thread, and the original post you quoted is from 2008, it's been a long while.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Well, I finally got the driver to install by turning off the requirement for digitally signed drivers during the Windows boot process, and then using the hardware wizard to manually install the drivers. But it still won't work. I downloaded the most recent version of the Vag-Com 409.1 software and installed it, but when I try to run it, I get the normal mouse pointer "thinking" display like you get when any program starts, but then it goes away and the program does not load. I then downloaded VCDS-Lite. It runs fine, but when I do the comms test, I always get "Port does not exist, interface not found". I have tried every combination of physical USB port and COM port assigned. I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I am.
It's more than likely the drivers yes. Where are you getting them from? Most, not all, are FTDI.

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

wfodave

TDI
n/a
It's more than likely the drivers yes. Where are you getting them from? Most, not all, are FTDI.
http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm
This is taking a comically bad turn. I had already put the cable in the trash, but since you put the link right here, I grabbed it and tried the FTDI drivers. Not exactly plug and play, but it worked! So I plug in and I can talk to a lot of the controllers, like the transmission, etc, but not the airbag controller or the engine. Sweet. So I look on the VCDS website and they mention the Symphony radios can cause some issues. I don't see an easy way to pull the radio and reach the connectors to unplug it, so instead I pull the fuse marked telephone/radio. This does kill power to the radio. But, now the interface can't connect! Pop the fuse back in, connects right up. Awesome. Is there an easy way to reach the connectors on the radio or any other suggestions?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There is a youtube video on making your own set of radio keys from a credit card. This will allow you to pull the radio out.

wfodave

TDI
n/a
I already ordered a set of the little tools to pull the radio. If pulling the radio doesn't help, I'm going to order the real cable from Ross-tech. From what I can see, I should be able to re-sell it for most of what I will have paid for it. If THAT cable won't talk to the airbag controller, I give up.

wfodave

TDI
n/a
The radio tools showed up and I popped the radio out. Made no difference. Comms with ebay cable are still flaky with some controllers always reachable (ABS), 50-50 (Transmission), and never (Airbag controller). If the Ross-Tech cable doesn't work, then what?