Jetta won't even crank.... Coolant heater was plugged in...

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Battery is great. Just the exact same symptoms as before the starter was replaced
Reman's from napa are s*it, you probably just got a bad unit. Its an easy test, if the trigger wire is getting 12v on ignition start, its the starter, simple as that.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
You want a Bosch Reman, I have used them for years and they just work. Most starters on the market are cheap crap.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
The Bosch reman starter in my dad's BEW lasted 5 years. Not worth paying a premium for in my opinion. If it's the same price as another reasonable brand I wouldn't avoid Bosch.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
ya had it towed back to my mechanic. If it is indeed a bad starter i told him to let me know and i may source out a bosch reman. Where is the best place to get one??

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Just an update, may have seen my other thread. My mechanic sourced a bosch and installed. Seems to me working great so far so we'll see. Thanks again for all the feedback!

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
Did your mechanic verify that the NAPA starter he removed was bad? If so, you're probably good to go. If not, it may be a poor wiring connection that gets temporarily "fixed" when it's disturbed by replacing the starter.
I had this happen years ago on a vehicle still under warranty, and the dealer replaced the starter three times and the alternator twice under warranty. I finally gave up on them and tracked the problem down myself to a loose connector.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Did your mechanic verify that the NAPA starter he removed was bad? If so, you're probably good to go. If not, it may be a poor wiring connection that gets temporarily "fixed" when it's disturbed by replacing the starter.
I had this happen years ago on a vehicle still under warranty, and the dealer replaced the starter three times and the alternator twice under warranty. I finally gave up on them and tracked the problem down myself to a loose connector.
I have faith that he did. Have gotten lot's of work done there on other vehicles and always a good end result. As well by diagnosing the starter as bad and replacing under warranty as far as labor goes they're basically working for free at that point. Guess we'll see if it keeps starting! Thanks for the input noob