Fuel / ECU relay? & tachometer / throttle problem 1997 Passat 1.9tdi / Schematics

jimmaet

TDI
1997 Passat estate (Sweden) 1.9 tdi (AFN?)
Hi,
After a fuel injection pump repair (AFN engine?), I don't get power on the fuel shutoff solenoid.
What happens during start:
  • Power on: preglow lamp is on, no strange warning, voltage 12V on the glow plugs
  • Power on / cranking: only about 400mV on the fuel shutoff solenoid
  • Jumper wire on the solenoid: Engine will start and run on very high RPM.
  • No RPM shown on tachometer
  • Take the jumper wire off: engine will stall
  • (controlling rpm by intermittent jumper wire on/off for about 5 sec)
  • After that engine will idle WITHOUT jumper wire.
  • Throttle does not respond
  • Engine will continue running on idle (tried only for 30 sec)
  • Engine will stop when switching ignition key off
(why is it an ignition key, when a diesel self-igniting:p?)
Bought probably the wrong ECU/fuel relay, concerning pinout I think it is 219, which will work with ignition on, and release about 2 sec after ignition off. Pin 30 gets voltage, and the contacts are ok.
  • Others under the hood are 370, 373
  • Under the drives side dash we have 202, 204, 213, 267, 603
I also heard of the injection pump electronics cover, is there anything that goes wrong there, since I had it off to add some gasket... (Don't think it was a big deal, only 4 semi-flex copper connections to the actuator module, didn't take it out, only opened a bit)

An electrical schematic would help. My first suspect is anyway the missing voltage on the shutoff solenoid and missing tacho. Pinout of the ECU?Any help is greatly appreciated. Working outside in Finnish winter with health issues. From the first waterleak to today is a month. Want to get this "On the road again :cool:"

Regards,
Kees Visser

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hello Kees

Can you tell me what ECU you have? Is it the 68 pin ECU or the 80 pin? The pin designations will depend on what type you have. The original ECU part number would also help.

I will say that it's difficult to believe that a injection pump repair caused an electrical problem uless it was already there and not documented. Was the battery disconnected while the IP repair was done? Did you clean the grounds adequately during the IP reinstall?

If the problem did not exist before the IP work I would have to believe it's isolated to the wiring disconnected at the IP. If you replaced parts since the problem cropped up please let us know what you replaced.

Steve

jimmaet

TDI
1997 Passat estate (Sweden) 1.9 tdi (AFN?)
Hi Steve,

Thanks for replying.:)
Took the pump off without disconnecting battery. At some instance my help wanted to close a window, switched on power :eek: and at least the shutoff valve wire may have caused a short.
That's why I'm not surprised with the electrical problem.

The ECU is 80-pin Bosch 0 281 001 720 and VW 038 906 018P.
Not sure what you mean with clean grounds...

Greetings, Kees