Cracked DPF-Regens....Yes or No

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
So ya, I found out last week I have a cracked DPF. I'm holding off on doing anything about it until we find out more about the dieselgate settlement, since the cost to repair is $2400.

2013 Jetta 6M, 108k

I had the car in for diagnostics, and a forced regen was performed. I've driven about 400 miles since then. I haven't had a naturally occurring regen since (but maybe I haven't gone long enough yet). The car is still running fine and I have seen no reduction in fuel economy.

Questions:
1. Will the car regen with the CEL on (it's throwing a P2002 code, diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold B1)?
2. If it will not do a regen because of the CEL, would doing a forced regen cause any damage?
3. Would performing a forced regen have any benefit with a cracked DPF?
4. How long do you think the car can be driven in its current condition?

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
It can be driven indefinitely. Another common symptom of a cracked DPF after awhile is the P0401 code for EGR flow below threshold. Soot clogs the filter for the low pressure EGR. Doesn't really affect performance in any meaningful sense, it's just an annoyance to have the damn light on.

Unfortunately, most owners of these cars are in the same boat as you. Just waiting for VW to get the buyback and fix plan rolling so they can move on with life.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Thank you, Matt. CEL is annoying, but my previous car's dash looked like a xmas tree, so I can deal with it. I'll just keep driving until I decide what to do with it.

I did contact Customer (we don't) Care and they said I'm SOL on having VW pay for any of the DPF repair. Seems like they would have just taken the hit to keep a customer happy, since they've pretty much said a fix would replace all the exhaust parts anyway. I guess they are just as resistant to paying big bucks for a temporary repair as I am.

Last edited:

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Thank you, Matt. CEL is annoying, but my previous car's dash looked like a xmas tree, so I can deal with it. I'll just keep driving until I decide what to do with it.

I did contact Customer (we don't) Care and they said I'm SOL on having VW pay for any of the DPF repair. Seems like they would have just taken the hit to keep a customer happy, since they've pretty much said a fix would replace all the exhaust parts anyway. I guess they are just as resistant to paying big bucks for a temporary repair as I am.
I just joined the club of cracked DPF at about 72,000 miles. I think the temporary repair is a small piece of strategically placed electrical tape, covering the offending CEL.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Just to confirm for anyone curious, the car does still perform regens with a cracked DPF, but I've only noticed 1. It's possible I missed one, but I've put on about 2000 miles and this was the only one I saw (torque pro).
Anyway, it seems to run fine and my mileage is unchanged.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
So I have been reading about the cracked DPF for quite a while,isn't it a part of the emissions system?, Which like a catalytic converter is cover for at least 150K mi as per epa regs. What gives? If it's not a part of the system eliminate it .

This whole emission crap makes no sense,the VW Corp should be held responsible for a system that last for the realistic life of the car.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I have been driving with a cracked dpf for over 10K. The car does regen on regular basis so it should not affect the regen issue. However, I do see about 5-7% fuel penalty probably due to the clogged low pressure Egr filter.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I just joined the club of cracked DPF at about 72,000 miles. I think the temporary repair is a small piece of strategically placed electrical tape, covering the offending CEL.

if you are under 80,000 miles, the dealer should be able to get you a fix from VW.

(for free on your part)

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
isn't it a part of the emissions system?, Which like a catalytic converter is cover for at least 150K mi as per epa regs. What gives?
Its only 80K on emissions equipment, not 150k. everything in the emissions system is covered till 80K.

I think requiring a longer warranty on emissions stuff would force them to design longer lasting components and factoring it into the initial cost or figure out cheaper components and hoping they only have to replace them once or twice under warranty but that's just not the case right now...

Good thing i drive an antique... lol.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Only specific, identified equipment items are covered till 80k.

catalytic converters are included, which include the DPF on these cars.

there are a lot of things required for emissions control which are not covered by the 80k. (temp sensors, for example...)

one relevant document:

https://www3.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f15035.pdf

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a coworker that has been driving with a bad DPF, flashing DPF light, MIL, etc. on for the last year and a half. Drives his car every day. Not sure if it is ever doing a regen, or attempting to do one, but the engine seems to run fine and he just got back from a long trip and the car performed flawlessly otherwise and got ~50 MPGs (and it is a DSG).

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I still don't understand how vw can design such a crappy part. Do we know if it's made in China by what some are still calling a quality German company? There is fords out there with 200k miles on a dpf. Semis on the road with 500k. Still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I suspect they didn't do a good job of field testing them, which is usually the case with most pattern failure items.

The TSB that addresses this problem does talk about a software change, but that is all irrelevant now (as is the whole emissions control system, in a way) given it isn't really even "in use" all the time.

I could rattle off a list of common pattern failure items on all kinds of cars, just the way they are. Some are worse than others, and some DO get properly addressed by the manufacturer in short order, some take years, and some never.

I just installed replacement auxiliary water pump #3 in a 2009 CTS. They last 10-20k miles. Dealer keeps a BOX of them on the shelf. :rolleyes:

In Volkswagen's case, and to some extent the Germans in general (which spills over to many other non-German makes) is that they design something with the utmost attention to detail. A component is constructed as if it was done by an eye surgeon. But then once they are done, they just pat each other on the back and move on to the next project. And they don't take criticism well, so it isn't like you could tell them "Hey, you know this microswitch in this doorlatch that fails at a 50% rate after 5 years? How about you do XXXXXX to keep that from happening?". :p

(actually, one COULD tell them that, but they'd just say you were opening and closing the door wrong, and it is your fault...)

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
If could be the cheating system killing the DPF. If they wait too long to regen it can have to get so hot it murder them. I know on semi trucks for in the mountains they have a system to override the regen and you can keep pressing it to where it will cause the above after a couple dealer forced regens.