PD in-tank pump question.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Should the pump run every time the engine is shut off and then later restarted?
My 04 's pump obviously runs on the first start of the day but not necessarily on later starts.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Hmm, I guess I will check again to be sure.
Would it even be possible for the pump to even run intermittently or is an all or nothing scenario and it either works or it doesn't?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Maybe the more the pump runs, the hotter it gets and is more prone to binding.
The pump can still run and not put out enough fuel quantity.
If you have the means to do so, tee in a 0-30 PSI gauge between the pump and the fuel filter and see if it will maintain 5-7 PSI under all running conditions.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I think my OEM pump ran intermediately just before I changed it. I could not hear it installed, but it ran when I bench tested it. I never hear the replacement, gray top, but my hearing is very poor. My only clue is the fuel filter being full or empty.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Maybe the more the pump runs, the hotter it gets and is more prone to binding.
The pump can still run and not put out enough fuel quantity.
If you have the means to do so, tee in a 0-30 PSI gauge between the pump and the fuel filter and see if it will maintain 5-7 PSI under all running conditions.
Would this be the port next to the tandem pump?
Is it a standard pipe fitting or special VW?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I meant putting a gauge after the lift pump and before the "IN" side of the fuel filter.

You can check the pressure of the fuel rail at the port that you mentioned.
The threads at the port are M10X1.00

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sometimes I'll hear the bubbly gurgle noise but other times I just hear a faint hum, I think it still works fine though. Pretty sure the car would stop running if it didn't. Maybe it only makes the noise if there's enough air to purge or that.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Sometimes I'll hear the bubbly gurgle noise but other times I just hear a faint hum, I think it still works fine though. Pretty sure the car would stop running if it didn't. Maybe it only makes the noise if there's enough air to purge or that.
First pump of the day is the bubbly one and I do occasionally hear a faint hum at other times.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
No 'gurgle' sound on re-start is the expectation. The check valves will hold a prime for some period of time of shut down. The 'first start of the day' is better described as the start after being stopped for (X) hours.

Coal runner

TDI
2005 mk4 jetta tdi 6spd manual
Well the fun thing about these pumps are ( and maybe other ones as well) is that they could fail and you wouldn't even notice until you went to change your fuel filter. The car will have enough suction to keep pulling fuel through the dead pump until it loses it's prime.

Found that out the hard way during a bad winter and the new pump was delayed a week for shipment due to the storms lol.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I think you mean all at once instead of
catastrophically. If it fails you're going to test for power at the pump and change it if the pump won't run. No engine damage unless you crank the starter so long that it burns up as well.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think my pump might be on it's way out, occasionally it sounbds a bit off but also the relay goes a bit nuts when you switch the ignition on. I opened up the relay to check it but it's good, contacts aren't all burnt out or that. Just hear it flicking on and off rapidly lol.
I think I heard a slight grind or moan from the pump the other day too.

Which reminds me, need to go message my mate, see if he's got a spare

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok so my pump is actually fine, had a bad connection on pin 80 from the ecu, cleaned up the plug and socket with switch cleaner and now my pump makes a nice squelchy pumpy sound every time and no click click click.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Somebody here didn't realize their in-tank pump was not working until they had a tune. Car did not respond well.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Ok so my pump is actually fine, had a bad connection on pin 80 from the ecu, cleaned up the plug and socket with switch cleaner and now my pump makes a nice squelchy pumpy sound every time and no click click click.
Does your car start first crank every time?