Disexit?

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
What do you guys think of the future of TDI's as well as turbo charged passenger vehicles in the future for the U.S.? It seems like it was making such a great come back until the VW scandal broke.

VW has said it will be spending a lot of money to get into the electric vehicle market and Mazda has yet to release their elusive Mazda Skyactiv-D. I drove the e-Golf a few months ago and it was a great experience but the ~85 miles was not pushing me to trade in my MK6; however the e-Golf wasn't built from the ground up as an electric car.

But I'm curious as to what will happen with the market here in the U.S. because I'll eventually run my car until the wheels fall off and then... what next?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I could give you several reasons why I don't worry about this, but the most acceptable answer to your question is that there will be transportation available, and so the solution will present itself. If the EPA is still run by complete wack-jobs like it is now, diesel powered cars won't be on the list. They will be trying to get rid of anything that does not produce breathable exhaust, so gasser ICE cars won't be around either, in that scenario.

Mazda hasn't brought the Skyactiv-D here because when they tune it to pass emissions, it doesn't have good enough performance, and that probably translates into something like 'it's a dog'. Of course details are not released, but it makes sense that there's an emissions road block in there somewhere.

We may as well face it: there's a lot of people in government positions that really hate the idea of us regular people having a good time doing exactly what we want. Fun cars may go the way of all the earth.

Oh, well. Sorry if I sound like a complete buzz-kill, but rest assured I don't really want it to be so, and I do tend to be cynically pessimistic. So probably reality will be better than my bleak prediction.

Cheers,

PH

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
What do you guys think of the future of TDI's as well as turbo charged passenger vehicles in the future for the U.S.? It seems like it was making such a great come back until the VW scandal broke.

VW has said it will be spending a lot of money to get into the electric vehicle market and Mazda has yet to release their elusive Mazda Skyactiv-D. I drove the e-Golf a few months ago and it was a great experience but the ~85 miles was not pushing me to trade in my MK6; however the e-Golf wasn't built from the ground up as an electric car.

But I'm curious as to what will happen with the market here in the U.S. because I'll eventually run my car until the wheels fall off and then... what next?
......put the wheels back on? :)

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I have serious doubts that the applicable EPA standards can be satisfied by an affordable, durable, economical, good performing, diesel engine car. In the meantime, spark engines seem to have advanced significantly. The idea of 292 hp out of a 2 liter engine in a car made and sold for every day use is mind boggling to me.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hard to tell on diesel, since so many nuts and whack jobs are in the decision tree, but the turbo is here to stay. It's solid, dependable technology that has very broad deployment. Heck, since 1984, I have only owned one vechicle that was not turbocharged, and have had zero failures on any vehicle. Yeah, a bit more complex, but preferable to toting Fred Flintstone technology big V8's and such to get similar power but with vastly higher weight and fuel consumption.

(And as an aside, I certainly hope that passenger diesel stays alive . . . I have zero desire to downgrade to a range crippled e-turd . . .).

- Tim

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
Small turbocharged engines are doing exceptionally good in the market. It is small Diesel engines that are irecoverably hurt by VW here. Ford's ecoboost line alone is a testament to the success of small turbocharged engines being able to meet performance AND efficiency benchmarks.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't have my crystal ball ready on the future of small diesels in N. America, but right now would be a great time to get those darkside developement goodies. Brexit has driven the british currency down a ton.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Diexit .... VW will be out of the diesel market by 2020.
I was reading about VW's global market strategy and it looks like VW will be totally dropping diesel and go with a full electric platform.
You'll either buy a standard gasoline platform, or it will be full electric.
They're not even "entertaining" the prospect of a hybrid of any combination.

I think its a smart move for the future of the company as a whole.

Since Tesla dropped its tech patents and the their cars have been making proven strides in the electric car market VW is stepping into that arena with a vision for market share.

So, it really does l,ook like VW is making a "Diexit" .

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I can see us getting the 1.6L. But on another note, if you look into how a diesel works the more boost and HP the more efficent a diesel will be. Less emissions if its tuned perfectly. Cam shapes and all included not just a "kerma" style tune.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels

....the nuclear energy lobby is pushing for all electric cars.

...also there is only so much diesel that can be refined from a barrel of crude....diesel is needed for: freight transportation (trucking and rail), agriculture (food production), home heating, and military, ....they can't have "consumers" all using diesel too.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
....the nuclear energy lobby is pushing for all electric cars.
Based on the number of new nuclear power plants NOT being built over the last 30 years, I think it's safe to say the nuclear energy lobby is completely impotent.
...also there is only so much diesel that can be refined from a barrel of crude....diesel is needed for: freight transportation (trucking and rail), agriculture (food production), home heating, and military, ....they can't have "consumers" all using diesel too.
This get balanced by pricing alone. As demand for diesel become higher than the proportionate mix of gasoline, diesel becomes more expensive, and attractiveness of diesel consumer vehicles shifts. The same thing happens the other way around.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
So, it really does l,ook like VW is making a "Diexit" .
If VW abandons diesel then I abandon VW. I already made a VW-exit to BMW Advanced Diesel :cool: a couple of years ago.

With my logging around 1k miles/week, there is absolutely no way I'm ever going back to a gasser of any kind if I can help it. Whatever I drive HAS to be diesel.

If I someday drive anything other than diesel it will be an EV although I'm not ready to switch entirely to electric yet. A friend of mine owns a Tesla Model S and absolutely loves it. He sold all of his gassers. He drives almost as much as I do. He has no issues with charging it and has traveled from VT to FL and back with it several times. More fast charge stations have popped up every time he has made the trip and they are located near businesses along the route. He stops at a fast charge station and then walks to a restaurant nearby to get some lunch or dinner and the car is fully charged when he comes out. IIRC, Tesla has the only EVs on the market where you also have the option of charging from an ordinary wall outlet if you have enough time to wait for it and are not in a hurry. A 240VAC 40A circuit is recommended for charging at home. Tesla makes interesting and amazing cars however I'm not ready to own one yet. I need the range of a TDI and want to be able to fully charge my EV in the time it takes to fill a TDI and go inside the station and take a leak. I know that's a tall order and pie in the sky thinking but deliver that and then I'll get a lot more interested in electric. I think I'll stick with diesel for now. :cool:

Having driven a Tesla Model S (Wow!) and been a passenger in my friend's Model S many times, all I can say is if you get a opportunity to test drive one is....DO IT! :cool:

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
If VW abandons diesel then I abandon VW. I already made a VW-exit to BMW Advanced Diesel :cool: a couple of years ago.

With my logging around 1k miles/week, there is absolutely no way I'm ever going back to a gasser of any kind if I can help it. Whatever I drive HAS to be diesel.

If I someday drive anything other than diesel it will be an EV although I'm not ready to switch entirely to electric yet. A friend of mine owns a Tesla Model S and absolutely loves it. He sold all of his gassers. He has no issues with charging it and has traveled from VT to FL and back with it several times. IIRC, Tesla has the only EVs on the market where you have the option of charging from an ordinary wall outlet if you have enough time to wait for it and are not in a hurry. Tesla makes interesting and amazing cars however I'm not ready to own one yet.

Having driven a Tesla Model S (Wow!) and been a passenger in my friend's Model S many times, all I can say is if you get a opportunity to test drive one is....DO IT! :cool:

Have fun! :)
Every EV on the market will charge from a 110V 15A outlet with the right cable. It's just 1/4 the speed of charging from a 220V 30A outlet.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Every EV on the market will charge from a 110V 15A outlet with the right cable. It's just 1/4 the speed of charging from a 220V 30A outlet.
Yep. Thanks for the clarification. The Tesla Model S is an interesting and amazing car but I'm not ready to own one yet. I'll stick with diesel.

It's unfortunate that VW really screwed the pooch with diesel and now has to possibly make a Di-exit. :(

Last edited: