HID projector retrofit FXR 3.0

magrider

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I will work on breaking the JBStick from the reflector housing and the projector tonight. I think it should be pretty easy to remove since it doesn’t seem to be really strong. Thank you for the plastic wrap idea. That should help protect it better than the microfiber cloths I was using to hold it.

Believe it or not, I actually spent a couple of days studying your initial post to look at cut lines and how everything worked together. I guess it’s safe to say I should’ve spent more time analyzing it. I watched a couple of videos that TRS posted on YouTube and figured that the shroud would be added later and have to be trimmed to fit. I think your method of approaching the shroud and projector as one unit would work much better.

Given the gaps and the size of the whole in the reflector housing, do you think I will still be able to get a solid binding using epoxy when it’s all said and done? I spent quite some time measuring before I started cutting and still ended up with this…Hopefully this goes well or you may see the whole kit up for sale. Thanks again.
Don't be too hard on yourself, it is a learning process and we all screw up the first time. No trimming to the shroud is required, just line it up close to the reflector's edge and the shroud should almost cover the reflector. It will end up looking quite nice. Don't look too much into the videos and pictures, they just give you an idea. You will have to make little dremels, do a test fitting, dremel some more, repeat until you get a flush fitting.

Do not worry about not being able to glue it back. After you have a good fit, secure it with small dabs of jpquick or jbstic. Verify your fit, preferable on the car. After you verified it, then use plenty of regular jbweld to strengthen the bond. It dries slowly but is extremely durable when cured, so I would not worry at all about gluing things back together. Also it doesn't matter if the insides look like crap, as long as you cover it all up with a shroud no one is going to notice.

Don't get discouraged, I think you are pretty close to getting it right.:)

GTBullitt68

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Don't be too hard on yourself, it is a learning process and we all screw up the first time. No trimming to the shroud is required, just line it up close to the reflector's edge and the shroud should almost cover the reflector. It will end up looking quite nice. Don't look too much into the videos and pictures, they just give you an idea. You will have to make little dremels, do a test fitting, dremel some more, repeat until you get a flush fitting.

Do not worry about not being able to glue it back. After you have a good fit, secure it with small dabs of jpquick or jbstic. Verify your fit, preferable on the car. After you verified it, then use plenty of regular jbweld to strengthen the bond. It dries slowly but is extremely durable when cured, so I would not worry at all about gluing things back together. Also it doesn't matter if the insides look like crap, as long as you cover it all up with a shroud no one is going to notice.

Don't get discouraged, I think you are pretty close to getting it right.:)
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Should I just set the projector and reflector back in the housing when I’m test fitting it rather than securing it fully?

I will definitely be lathering on the regular jbweld once I’ve confirmed the fit. I will work on it some more this weekend and report back. Thank you for all your help; I would’ve called it quits long ago.

GTBullitt68

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Magrider - If you get a chance, would you mind posting pictures of how you wired the lights and what it looks like installed under the hood? I'm curious as to how you ran the wires and fit the rubber grommet over the new connector to the bulbs. Also, how did you wire your projector's high beams to come on with the halogen high beams? Did you just solder the leads, into the existing high beam wires? Thanks!

Last edited: