New 2004 Spice Red TDI Wagon

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Has anyone seen the new 2004 colour offering, Spice Red, in person? I personally think it looks pretty nice and think this will be on our order that we're putting in next week.
Whaddya think?

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
I like it a lot as well.

Would look ritzy with a tan leather interior or sporty with black leather!

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
Can never quite believe my eyes when judging colors that appear on my computer, but that bears a strong resemblance to the late, great Canyon Red that was offered only in 99.5 and 2000.

Anthony

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Glad everyone agrees. It does look sharp.
She was thinking black leather, I was thinking tan. Considering we have a black dog we'll probably go with black (not that the dog will be allowed in the car....)
CAN'T WAIT!!!
It is kind of like a burgandy (it seems).

seedy

It's a lovely color, but I would never buy a red car, because almost always the police see it as "ticket-me red", no matter what the manufacturer calls it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have 2 Tornado Red cars 97 Passat TDI and a 2002 Jetta TDI love the color and have never been pulled over or even given a second look.....
By the way I like the color to.

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
Does anyone know what type or level of window tinting is in the above picture? I really like that smoke color. I know next to nothing about window tinting so newbie terminology/explanation would be appreciated. -Thanks

Brasil

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta wagon silver-Sold, now MINI Cooper S Clubman
The laws vary from state to state, so you have to check with someone locally as to what is available and how dark you can go.

My personal experience has been good here in this hot climate--especially with a black leather interior. Nice but not mandatory with light interiors here. Here we can tint the side and back windows, but not the front.

I like the glare reduction from the side, and the protection from UV for the interior--I use a sunshade when parked. Car is much cooler in summer.

A minor annoyance is the "starring" effect from headlights at night through the rear window due to reflections around the defroster wires. I haven't had any real problems with it being too dark at night, and it does cut down nicely on the glare from headlights.

Metallic-based films (the more expensive ones) offer more light and heat reduction, and sometimes look cooler, but may compromise the range of your radar detector if used on the front windshield. Doesn't seem to have affected my Valentine One radar detector's rear detection much, though that is not as crucial as front.

You may want to see if others think it is worth it in Maine. If you do, I would suggest a professional tinting shop, with a lifetime guarantee (many offer this). I got recommendations from my dealer, who is good. Old tinting is very difficult and time-consuming to remove. Others may have some experience on applying it themselves, but it is a skill.

I think mine ran a couple of hundred dollars.

Hope this helps...

Mileage Dude

Veteran Member
Originally posted by seedy:
It's a lovely color, but I would never buy a red car, because almost always the police see it as "ticket-me red", no matter what the manufacturer calls it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The colour red on that 2004 is real nice. As for the remark concerning red as the choice of pull-overs -> cops pull anything over that speeds. Been there, done it and not in a red Golf either.

Peace-out

MD

Mileage Dude

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Karmann-diesel:
Does anyone know what type or level of window tinting is in the above picture? I really like that smoke color. I know next to nothing about window tinting so newbie terminology/explanation would be appreciated. -Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tinting in Europe is not really prohibited, at least in where I'm from.

If you look at that tint you can see the same hue in the Mercedes Benz line up and as well in the Chrysler Jeep w/is in part producted through MB now since the merger 1998-1999. They call that privacy glass and not to be mistaken for UVA/UVB block.

I went w/RayBan tint made by 3M. The tint is light but blocks most of the UVA/UVB rays which actually cause heat in the interior. I have both black exterior and interior. Professionally it cost me $180.00 including rear window. I could have a doctor's perscription on the front windshield [which the state needs and the window tinting store to do a front windshield -> some states, CO, NY, CT, VT, MA CA, UT, IL,] but I leave the front window alone for the moment.

It's not the darkness of the tint that keeps heat out. It's the UVA/UVB block. Some Limo-Tints actually darken the glass for privacy but do not block heat from entering the interior. In some cases the darker tints attract heat and not repell it. Limo tint is not a good choice especially in the darker hues. Try a good quality metallic as suggested above by a fellow member. I use the RayBan 3M product, superior in adhesion, lifetime warranty and does not darken the glass causing poorer vision during night driving.

I used this same tint in Colorado on a Grand Cherokee. In Colorado the monochromatic landscape and the sun dipping down into the mountains causes very dark contrasts early evenings making it impossible to see out limo-tinted glass. So I educated on the what to do's concerning ridding heat from a dark interior in 1999. The RayBan 3M was perfect and rid 70% of the interior heat from sun which only darkening 30%. Truth.

MD