Clutch Replacement Questions

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
After overestimating the strength of my stock 170,000 mile clutch in my 01 Jetta by trying to do a burnie on dry(Idiot, right?), it is now time to replace my clutch. I’ve only had my TDI for about a year so I’ve never had to replace the clutch. Do I need a flywheel as well? I see kits with a flywheel and without and don’t know what I need. Also, what are some sources/models of budget conscious clutches that will handle small power upgrades. I want to do light upgrades, but I’m also a college student going to a pay-as-you-go school so I need something affordable that can handle a little more than stock. Thanks!

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Do you know where to get your flywheel machined locally? Can you afford the additional down time while the machining is being done?

Answer no to either question, and the kit is likely the better option to pursue.

Al

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
After overestimating the strength of my stock 170,000 mile clutch in my 01 Jetta by trying to do a burnie on dry(Idiot, right?), it is now time to replace my clutch.
I can't help here but I assume you're over enthusiast expectations about a car with 170k is a lesson well learned. I was young once too and paid the price by pushing my car to levels that when it was old and very used it failed :cool:

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
Do you know where to get your flywheel machined locally? Can you afford the additional down time while the machining is being done?

Answer no to either question, and the kit is likely the better option to pursue.

Al
So I do need to purchase a flywheel along with the clutch? Or can I just replace the clutch? That’s the main question I guess is do I *need*a flywheel to replace the clutch?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The original assembly in your car included a dual mass flywheel and a clutch that matches that flywheel only. The service life of the dual mass flywheel (DMF) is typically around 200K miles. So yours is near or at the end of its life, and you'll need to replace both the flywheel and clutch assembly.

Typically a lot of TDI owners have switched to a single mass flywheel (SMF) and clutch assembly because the SMF is more durable. Some clutches will cause a rattle at idle in neutral, but now most don't. And there are a wide variety of stock and performance clutches available.

If you want to stick with an SMF LUK makes a flywheel and clutch setup that's very smooth, and also is reasonably priced. However, if you have plans to modify your car (tune, injectors, etc.), the strength of the LUK setup is limited. It's fine with a tune, but not a lot more than that.

I have SMFs in my MKIV cars now, one a stock SMF replacement, and one South Bend Stage 1 daily clutch for my wagon, which is modified. Both drive like stock clutches.

It's your choice.

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
Ahhh makes sense. Im kinda in a bind because I’m unsure whether I want to upgrade my car or get something new. The car was given to me for free, it was in an accident that wasn’t fixed, needs a lot of work needless to say. Ugh decisions decisions.:confused:

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Maybe part the car out since it is damaged. Or get the g60/flywheel package that I am installing with my 5-speed swap. I think it was about $350 complete.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Ahhh makes sense. Im kinda in a bind because I’m unsure whether I want to upgrade my car or get something new. The car was given to me for free, it was in an accident that wasn’t fixed, needs a lot of work needless to say. Ugh decisions decisions.:confused:
After you abused it, now it sounds like a money pit to me. :p

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Where from?

Look at post #5 in this Thread. That guy is a vendor! Go to his web site and browse.

I installed one of their Single Mass Flywheel/Clutch kits in an 03 Jetta.... it is very smooth and the lady has never complained! If I remember correctly, the kit comes with everything you need!.. flywheel, clutch disc, throw-out bearing, alignment tool and flywheel bolts (one time use, they are).

We're here to help, regardless of how you got the vehicle or the mistake(s) you may have made along the way!;)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
We're here to help, regardless of how you got the vehicle or the mistake(s) you may have made along the way!;)
That what a community of people are suppose to do, help each other out. :cool:

Relating to that thought, there is a mod over at a different TDI forum that's chasing newbies off. Any time newbie post he hits them with this:
"First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!"

I checked him on it once and he deleted my post as being off topic. And he's right but not in the way he intended. Many of the first time posters never come back after they read the warning. I guess it takes all types to make the world go around. :rolleyes:

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
The LUK 17050 kit from Rockauto is good quality, a good price, and includes a new DMF.

If you can't afford to put a $172 clutch in a car, you should sell the car and get a bicycle.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The LUK 17050 kit from Rockauto is good quality, a good price, and includes a new DMF.

If you can't afford to put a $172 clutch in a car, you should sell the car and get a bicycle.

But that $172.00 is if you have the skill and you have the tools and you do it your self and if you do not know how it could be a disaster and as the OP said the car has other damage too. What is it really worth to replace the clutch and flywheel in a very old and damaged car?

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I got my G-60 clutch package from KermaTDI. I still need to install it. It came with the alignment tool.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

The logic some people incorrectly use to figure if they want to put money into a car is how much it has cost them. Since he got the car for free he may be feeling any money is too much. The real value is what it will cost to replace the car with another and weigh that against putting money into this chariot.

It would take a special circumstance much like his original acquisition to make the clutch R&R a bad use of money.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto

This guy gets it !!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
The cost to put a clutch in a Jetta that you got for free is about the same as the cost of putting a clutch in a Jetta that was purchased for $4000.

Tdi's are special cars and worth every penny. There are "how to's" everywhere on the internet to show you how.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I agree with the above posters... You got a free car that could use a little love and a new clutch, so buy the clutch assembly and try not to do anymore burnouts.
There are options available that are inexpensive for a car that wields great FE, and reliability as long as you don't beat on the car on a regular basis.

Can you buy another car for $176.00 plus shipping?