www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old December 5th, 2016, 13:48   #1
RobinPhillips

Location: Switzerland (formerly Lethbridge, AB, Canada and before that Volcano, Hawaii, USA)
TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: As excellent as it always has been
Default The most travelled Jetta?

A celebration of my Jetta's 16th birthday and having just passed the 500,000 km mark, I collected together all the pictures I could find of the places that it has been. I then realized this is probably the world's "most travelled" Jetta? (Or does someone have a counter example?)

Unlike many people here, I never set out to keep this car for so long. But there has just never been a reason to replace it. If it were to get crushed by a truck or something I really don't know what I would replace it with. It is fully depreciated, just the right size for my needs, uses minimal amounts of fuel, costs very little to maintain and continues to be a reliable daily driver - what more could one want from a car?!

I've put together all the pictures with some text here:
http://www.robinphillips.net/Robin/Jetta/

If you just want the highlights, I think these are the best few pictures of some of the most interesting locations:

On the summit of Mauna Kea (Hawaii):

On the Dempster Highway:

The Everglades in Florida:

Key West:

Badlands National Park:

Ontario:

The Port of Halifax:

Last edited by RobinPhillips; December 5th, 2016 at 13:51.
RobinPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 13:49   #2
RobinPhillips

Location: Switzerland (formerly Lethbridge, AB, Canada and before that Volcano, Hawaii, USA)

Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstattersee):

The old banked track at Monza:

In Sofia (Bulgaria):

Romania, on the Black Sea coast:

At the Finnish/Russian border:

At the Nordkapp in Norway:

212m below sea level:

North of the Arctic Circle in Finland:

and the 500,000 km mark:

With hopefully, lots more to come in future years!
Old December 5th, 2016, 15:58   #3
DerekG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Towing:26-32.6 City:34-38 Hwy:45-54.2

Great pics! Congrats on the milestone!
Old December 5th, 2016, 20:09   #4
TDIGAZ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Of Course! 5.05 l/100kms or 56 mpg/47 USmpg over 316 fill-ups

Simply Awesome.
I also went through the pics in your link... Wow, you and your Jetta have been to some amazing places. It's great to see the Jetta "staged" in the pics. Did you start out doing this, or did it happen by chance a couple of times, and thought " that's cool, I'm going to keep doing that.".
Either way, very impressive.

Now to other members, let's see more pics of TDI's in famous/unusual places.
TDIGAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 21:39   #5
RobinPhillips

TDIGAZ: It was more the latter - that's why there are very few pictures of the Jetta in Hawaii. At the time it was just our "new car" (to replace the less than entirely reliable Corrado...). I took some pictures of it ontop of Mauna Kea just to prove to friends that you can drive up there in a "normal" car - and don't need an SUV. I obviously took lots of pictures of it on the Dempster because part of the fun thing there was the driving. For our diagonally cross-continental drive to Florida I took the pictures infront of various National Park signs, more for the photo collection to show people where we had been (and it just made sense to have the car in the picture so it wasn't just a picture of the sign). It was only really when we moved to Europe that I started thinking I need to take pictures of the Jetta in various unusual places. Now of course I actively do it all the time!

I'd of course love to see other people's pictures of their cars in unusual places!
Old December 5th, 2016, 21:57   #6
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

I'm afraid the only unique place my cars have been that I could post would be inside my garage...

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 22:08   #7
whitedog
Veteran Member

Great story. The only competition that I can think of would be an ALH stuffed in a Vanagon.
Old December 6th, 2016, 08:58   #8
romad
Veteran Member

Re: NordKapp (North Cape, northernmost point of European continent)

In May 1981 we bought our first Jetta while stationed in northern Germany. 1 month later we started on a 30 day tour of Scandinavia. It was while driving north from Rovaniemi Finland we saw southbound vehicles with "NordKapp" on them. After determining it would only add about 600 miles to our planned route, we detoured and went there. What an adventure! We had to go through a bare rock tunnel with water dripping down from the ceiling, a line of weak incandescent bulbs spaced 100 meters apart hanging from the middle of the ceiling, rock road bed. Once we got through there we had to wait for the ferry (NordKapp is actually on an island, not the European mainland). While waiting, we saw coming off the ferry a big Winnebago RV with California plates! Took the ferry across, drove up to the cape, and stayed awake to watch the Sun NOT set! Headed back to the ferry terminal to catch the early one back. We then continued our trip down the length of Norway.

That tunnel picture, is it the one that replaced the ferry?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; December 6th, 2016 at 09:09.
romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 20:50   #9
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
Great story. The only competition that I can think of would be an ALH stuffed in a Vanagon.

My ALH 84 Vanagon has been to Alaska a couple of times.. to the Arctic Circle in the Yukon. And, we drove it to Nova Scotia once....
Old December 6th, 2016, 21:04   #10
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Robin, I think you'll win any contest in this regard. Are you planning a trip across Siberia, through Africa, or to the mid-East as a next adventure? It will cement your place really well.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 12:52   #11
RobinPhillips

Some answers to the various questions above:

Yuri:

Romad: The tunnel picture ie this one:

is indeed the tunnel you pass through on the way from the mainland to the island that the Nordkapp is on (Wikipedia has a page on it (of course). It used to be a toll tunnel, but is now free as the Norwegians only impose tolls until the cost of the tunnel (or birdge) has been recouped. I'll claim this as the lowest a North American Jetta has ever been until someone shows me a picture of one either next to the Dead Sea or in one of the handful of deeper Norwegian tunnels!

Mike in Anchorage: (So where are you from?). Yes, I have a couple more destinations in mind. Although I enjoyed skiing in Finland the last two years I thought I'd try something different in 2017. So I'm going first to Bulgaria, then onto Turkey and finishing up in the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia. That one is definite (as long as the political situation in Turkey doesn't deteriorate between now and February). I had been playing with the idea of participating in the Budapest to Bamako rally but didn't quite have the nerve in 2016. Maybe in the future... I'm also toying with the idea of taking a long 7 weeks break in late summer 2018 and driving to Vladivostok with my son. It is paved all the way and politically safe at the moment. It would certainly be the trip of a lifetime - there are a couple of websites describing part of the route - just look at these mad examples.

Last edited by RobinPhillips; December 9th, 2016 at 00:58. Reason: Fixed broken links
RobinPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:42   #12
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg

Amazing!!!
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 12:11   #13
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

Absolutely epic...
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 21:11   #14
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinPhillips View Post
Some answers to the various questions above:

Mike in Anchorage: (So where are you from?). Yes, I have a couple more destinations in mind. Although I enjoyed skiing in Finland the last two years I thought I'd try something different in 2017. So I'm going first to Bulgaria, then onto Turkey and finishing up in the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia. That one is definite (as long as the political situation in Turkey doesn't deteriorate between now and February). I had been playing with the idea of participating in the Budapest to Bamako rally but didn't quite have the nerve in 2016. Maybe in the future... I'm also toying with the idea of taking a long 7 weeks break in late summer 2018 and driving to Vladivostok with my son. It is paved all the way and politically safe at the moment. It would certainly be the trip of a lifetime - there are a couple of websites describing part of the route - just look at these mad examples.
Though I've been living in Anchorage for over 35 years, I'm FROM Ohio. The drive to Vlad sounds like a blast. Wonder if I can get a car there and do the drive as well. I also have driving experience in Arctic and sub-Arctic conditions. At one point, I had intended to join a friend for a bicycle trip around Lake Baikal. Turns out that some streams do not have bridges and we didn't feel like building a raft at each one, so we bagged. So many good adventures to be had. The links you posted are not working, but I know how to research, so I'll continue to look at the sites. Thanks.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 22:30   #15
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinPhillips View Post
I'd of course love to see other people's pictures of their cars in unusual places!
Salt flats!

You've been some cool places in your car, when I saw the thread title and your username I remembered your winter Yukon road trip from years ago!

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote