trouble shifting manual transmission into reverse

tobert

TDI
2005 jetta mk4
On my 2005 mk4 jetta the last week or so I have been having lots of trouble shifting the car into reverse. The other gears work fine, I can shift up shift down and it doesn't give me a second thought until I want to back up.
When I can get the car to decide it wants to go into reverse its solid. The clutch seems to work right and it has correct power etc.
The shifter feels like reverse doesn't even exist, no gear grinding or anything it just drops in when it decides it wants to. The last couple days I've had to really put some force behind it to get it into gear.
Because it goes and stays once its persuaded I don't think its an issue with the transmission itself, and since it doesn't try to grind I don't think its the synchros. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll go see if adjusting the shift linkage helps but I kind of doubt it. I'm suspecting (and hoping) its a worn out bushing or something but I'd love to hear from someone that might be able to point me in the right direction of what to look for or how to better diagnose this.

Some history on the car, its got 240k miles on the original clutch with a half shot DMF and was giving a little trouble finding 3rd gear and I'd occasionally miss and grind 3rd but after changing the fluid, its **otherwise** shifting fairly nicely. The clutch flywheel and chasing out the gremlins in the transmission are on the to-do list but the bank account says its going to be to-done around January and I'm hoping to be able to get there with it.

The transmission won't shift into reverse even when the shifter cables are loose, so the problem has to be either on the shift tower or **gulp** in the transmission. I've adjusted the shifter cables to no avail and suspect the part I posted a picture of came off the shifter cable as I can't imagine where else it'd have come from but I think thats another problem.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
If you disconnect the cables from the transmission, you can manually move the shifter tower to see which has the issue (cable alignment vs trans end). The 03 I'm working on had seized bushings on the side to side linkage and a completely worn out bearing in the shift tower. I still need to change the fluid as the tower seal was bad and it looked like water (somehow) was getting in there.

Any difference between having the car running or not? The last clutch I did was always partially engaged (bad DMF) and reverse and first were nearly impossible while the car was running (if the clutch pedal was 'pumped' it'd go in).

FYI - I do not believe that there are syncros in reverse - they are only for shifting between the forward gears.

Damnut

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
I was having the same problem and I tried to adjust the cables and one of the adjusters broke on the top of the tranny. I just bought a Dieselgeek short shifter for my Jetta and it made shifting 100000% better. Definitely worth the 200 bucks.

tobert

TDI
2005 jetta mk4
It doesn't matter if the car is running or not, it still won't go which is part of why I think its somewhere in the shift tower or could I possibly be as lucky as it being in the shifter inside the car? haha probably not. I'm off to the shop to have it looked at but probably can't have the work done until after the 15th if you know what I mean :) I can get to work and back without backing up for a couple weeks

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I would start by readjusting the cables and then check to see if the part that this fixes is worn out:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_shifter_repair_bushing_p/shift-figg.htm

I picked up a beetle with a worn out ball and it was a nightmare to adjust to get all the gears. I could get 1-5 and no reverse or R-4. Took me an hour to fine tune it enough to have everything for the 4 hour drive back home.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Reverse gear has no synchros at all, so you don't have to worry about that. Adjust and inspect things first.

Is the movement of the shifter normal?

I had trouble with reverse for a while, until I found out that the teeth were chipped off in some spots, compliments of previous owner. Replaced with brand new one, and all is well. You might have a different issue.

tobert

TDI
2005 jetta mk4
the movement of the shifter feels alright, at least as good as it has felt, its got a new squeak shifting over into 5th but no problems getting into the gear.
Yes, I know to push the shifter down.
The shifter pushes down ok, and goes off to the left, just refuses to go into gear. I was looking at it today (will try and adjust the linkage tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath) I found some I-don't-know-what rubber piece broken sitting on top of the transmission. Anyone up for a game of where did that rubber broken piece come from?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4e5bm7peebpsplj/AAD5uOLviEiCZrnr9jA5dSCSa

Last edited:

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
That shiny cap is normal, the other thing under it to the side is not. I think the cable ends are deteriorated and may be the cause to your problem.

tobert

TDI
2005 jetta mk4
The object I'm trying to identify is the rotten round rubber piece to the side of the shiny cap. I suppose a picture of it not on top of the transmission would help. I'll pull it out and post another picture of it in the morning. Its currently raining so I'm not going outside.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
The object I'm trying to identify is the rotten round rubber piece to the side of the shiny cap. I suppose a picture of it not on top of the transmission would help. I'll pull it out and post another picture of it in the morning. Its currently raining so I'm not going outside.
That is what I was referring to, that is from the shifter cable ends. It should not be broken.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Looks like the rubber bushing on the shift cable ends

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
This is what the shift cable ends look like:

Close, but not exact. The one in your picture has a clip visible. That looks more like the rubber bumpers on the lines near the brake master cylinder:

tobert

TDI
2005 jetta mk4
^^ bingo... they're the little bumpers that you're talking about, at least I'd asusme they are, I can't find them and I've been banging around under the hood in that area with this project.
So.... I suppose this is where I say, "Brian, you were right..." and the problem is probably somewhere down in the transmission. Fantastic.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Bumping this up...

I'm having alarming difficulty getting it into and out of reverse. This has slowly been getting worse. About a year ago I had a Diesegeek first gear getter installed.
It takes a real shove now to get shifter to go down to engage reverse.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or all of the above.
I know the throw out bearing is shot. I'm not having any stiffness in the other gears. Feels like something is jamming.
Thanks for your reply, Bob.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't have a lot of experience with this.
If it shifts nice with the car not running it might indicate a clutch problem.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it shifts nice with the car not running it might indicate a clutch problem.
Actually it shifts OK running or not... EXCEPT reverse.

I'm now having to put a lot of downward pressure to engage and upward pressure to disengage.

The word "jam" comes to mind.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
My wild ass interweb guess is something in the shifter in the cabin. Upward press to disengage sounds like a clue. Hopefully someone who knows will see this.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That would be fortunate. Both an inside cabin issue and someone that's run into similar symptoms.

Last edited:

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I take the boot off I can see the spring is very stiff, especially noticeable when releasing out of reverse.

Anybody have an idea what downstream from the shifter might cause this? Thanks.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When I take the boot off I can see the spring is very stiff, especially noticeable when releasing out of reverse.

Anybody have an idea what downstream from the shifter might cause this? Thanks.
I would put the car in reverse, take the 2 cables off at the trans end, and check the shifter movement.
Taking the 2 clips off will not effect linkage adjustment.
If nothing is found then shift the trans under the hood. (should still be in reverse.
There is plastic in that area also.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks wonneber. That's beyond my abilities, was hoping it was confined to cabin. I do appreciate your help.