Hubcaps Stolen!!!

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
My newly acquired wife and I stayed at a hotel last night for our wedding night, and came out in the morning to discover that somebody had stolen the hubcaps from our golf!!
The problem is all of the wheel pictures I have found don't show the hubcap options for the steel wheels, and the dealership can be less than helpful in looking up parts. Where can I find a part number for some replacement hubcaps, and does anybody know the cheapest place to order them?

As ugly as the hubcaps where, the wheels look much worse without them. :(

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
https://www.1stvwparts.com/

Unfortunately, I can't link to the exact part, but 'drill down' using your car's information, and it's under 'wheels'. US$20.45 each.
Maybe another Canuck will have a source on your side of the border, though.

I like the way my Golf looks with my bare black steelies and snow tires. :)

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
There's a set for sale in the classified section right now. Or... is this a good time (excuse) to upgrade to alloys?

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately 1stvwparts doesn't show pictures of the hubcaps they sell, so I can't be certain if they are the ones I am thinking of.
It seems that they changed the style for the 03 or 04MY, and mine are the newer style. I don't really like the old ones.
hubcaps.org only carries the older style, but thanks for the link anyways :)

The set for sale in the classifieds has 1 "injured" one, and is from a 2001 jetta. :(

It is almost a good excuse to upgrade to alloys, especially since they look better and they might be lighter, yielding even better mileage. However, we are on our 'honeymoon' looking at houses in Kelowna, which means we are going to move soon, and all of my potential money is tied up in a house fund, to make a bigger downpayment. Although I did manage 47mpg highway with the A/C on in an automatic, which I am somewhat proud of ;)

I'll keep looking for replacements. I was hoping they would be less than $20 each, since that is getting closer to $100 that was stolen from me, and is starting to get me grumpy. :(

Thanks for all the tips so far.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
leicaman said:
yes they are not cheap. www.hubcaps.org has photos of what they offer fyi.
Which is how I know they only offer the old style ;)

It's kind of funny, my wife scratched one up not even a week ago.... I was still giving her a hard time over it, and now they're gone. How can I give her a hard time if the hubcap isn't there to point at? :D

Looks like $20US/each is the going rate. I guess that isn't too bad all things considered. I'll try the dealership here in Kelowna, but I suspect they will be $30-$40CDN/each here.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
I guess you can get those fake spinner hubcaps you've been eyeing now... you know it's true!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I used them when I totally trashed a hubcap on my 1999 Saturn. It came in perfect shape. I need to order another for that car (which is my work car) I might end up buying a set of four caps for my Passat as I am thinking of getting winter wheels. Then again, I might just store the car in the winter too. Still thinking on that one.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
zero10-
First, congratulations on your wedding and I wish you and your wife a happy, healthy and long marriage.

Sorry about your bad luck (I hope its not an omen! :D ) I tried hubcaps.org before and the cover they sent me was poorly packaged and scratched up. I ended up buying it from the dealer and it was about the same as hubcap.org (incl. shipping).

good luck!

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
ebay -- can be a really good source.

There are 2 styles for the MKIV Golf, and another 2 for the Jetta.

Up to 2002 Golf

Up to 2002 Jetta

Pics below from www.ineedahubcap.com

Late Golf (the ones stolen from you)

Late Jetta

Early B5 Passat

Late B5.5 Passat

Last edited:

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to ineedahubcap.com, and it doesn't list anything for a golf?....
I am confuzzled. Perhaps it is just me that can't find them?

Thanks for the congrats, I only learned yesterday that they pulled one more prank on me when they stole my hubcaps.... They let a lot of air out of my tires.
Not enough for them to look low, so I didn't suspect it right away, but all 4 tires were down to 12-15psi. That wouldn't be such a big deal except that I drove ~800km on the highway with them like that. Explains why it handled so terribly. I caught it while in Kelowna and topped them back up. Although I did manage 48mpg on the highway with an automatic and 15psi tire pressure.... :D

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, I went in exactly the same way, and the page came up without any wheel covers.... strange!
Thanks for finding those for me :)

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black
Good luck finding a place in Kelowna, houses thre are more then they are here in calgary! But it is a great city to live in, I grew up there but personally I would never move back until that new bridge is done.
As for hubcaps I would use the steelies for winters and buy some cheap 15" or 17" alloys. People on clubveedub.com and eurodrivers.com sell them all the time.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't need luck :D
Bought a place in Vernon for $205,000 yesterday. I looked up comparable places here in Calgary, and they are listing for $325,000 - $400,000. Sure it's on mission hill, but it's still a nice area. It's on a 0.25 acre lot as well, which for us from the big city is massive!!
In Kelowna itself pricing is roughly on par with Calgary. I can't afford to live here and I can't afford to live in Kelowna either :(

I was looking on vwvortex, and for $200 I can get a set of alloys with 50% tread tires left on them... $120 for hubcaps, or $200 for alloys.... no brainer!
I think for $100+ I'll tough it out with just bare rims. I don't like them, but I can't afford to sink $100+ on aesthetics when my other car needs some serious work, and I'm saving for the house.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
There's plenty of cars at the dealer with hubcaps that would fit... time for a night-time drive... :eek:

klufkee

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE :( 2002 Toyota MR2
Yeah Ryan, but those cars are guarded by FAST! Look! he's watching your Jetta as we speak!

Bill K.

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Zero10 said:
does anybody know the cheapest place to order them?
I have a set from my 06.2003 Golf TDI in perfect condition - no winters.

These pictures were taken long time ago. Now the wheel hubs are absolutely clean (pressure washer works well :) ) and, if you want better pictures, I'll take some tonight with my new digital camera :D

Make me an offer and they are yours ;) Shipping within Canada should not be too much with CanadaPost.

Cheers, MF

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
klufkee said:
Yeah Ryan, but those cars are guarded by FAST! Look! he's watching your Jetta as we speak!

Bill K.
My fast always watches my car - he's tinted into the window.

klufkee

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE :( 2002 Toyota MR2
That looks very slick Ryan. Are those custom made or were you able to purchase them somewhere?

Bill K.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
I had tennessee tint do the job. It's actually 3 seperate layers of tint... silver, then red, then the 15% for the background.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
Hahaha, make a night-time trip by the dealer to lift a new set of hub caps..... Oh dear. This thread is giving me some highly illegal ideas.
I suppose that's the Calgary philosophy though.... somebody I don't know took mine, so I'll return the favor!

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Zero10 said:
Hahaha, make a night-time trip by the dealer to lift a new set of hub caps..... Oh dear. This thread is giving me some highly illegal ideas.
I suppose that's the Calgary philosophy though.... somebody I don't know took mine, so I'll return the favor!
For $60+shipping you can have it all :D and sleep well :)

helloskyharbour

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL auto
Am I the only one whose hubcaps have fallen off??? I lost one, paid $50 at the dealer for a new one, and then lost another (different wheel!) one...

lespaulman16

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 VW Golf TDI
Hey man,
srry to hear about that. Send me a pm and we can talk price on my old ones. Something like $40 + shipping sound good? I really am not firm on price. Just trying to help a fellow dubber out. Mine are off a 01 Golf.
Good luck regardless of which direction you go,
Ben Karnes