Trouble diagnosising front driveline noise

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
I have been chasing a intermittent grinding/knocking noise for the past 2 months. I made a 1500km round trip last week and the grinding and knocking got really bad.

It all started after I replaced the passenger side steering knuckle because of a bad wheel bearing. I over tightened the axle nut to 200ft/lbs and just left it like that for a month before I realized I had the wrong torque spec.

Anyways when I got home I replaced the drivers side knuckle too in hopes to solve my issue, it didn't. Noise is still there, can't seem to figure out which side of the vehicle it's on. No play and either wheel bearing. No clicking when turning at steering lock. I'm at a loss for the issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Is the noise rotational?

Does the noise change or go away when turning left or right?

Does the noise change when engaging the brake?

Did you buy a loaded knuckle and if so from where and what kind of bearing was installed in it?

Is it possible your dust shield is bent and rubbbing on the rotor?

Have you rechecked the passanger side to make sure you tightened everything?

Check the 6 inner axle cv bolts.

If you press in the clutch does the noise change?

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
The noise is oscillating and varies with speed. Clutch in makes no difference, braking makes no difference, turning sometimes causes it to grind or knock but the sound consists for a little bit after the turn has been made. No rubbing dust shield. I'm pretty sure the knuckles I got have Timken bearings in them. Everything is torqued to spec but I'll double check the inner CV bolts. I'm starting to suspect it's the CVs as they are original.

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
It turns out to be both of my Outer CV Joints. I just had the passenger side fail. Luckily I was going only 15km/h when it locked up.

Looks like I'm gonna be replacing a CV axle on the side of the road tomorrow!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Outer joints usually make a clicking/clacking noise.

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
It was clicking at points earlier when steering was turned to lock. I think I just let it go way too far. If it's not the CV that failed then I'll report back on what did. There was a bunch of smoke coming from behind the wheel when I was just at the side of the road. I can't see it being a wheel bearing at this point but I have an extra incase.

brooksy

TDI
2012 jetta Highline
Hi, What did it end up being? I have a 2012 TDI DSG, similar noises but bearing and joints sound and feel good when jacked up.

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
I went to pull out the CV from the knuckle yesterday and I had a whole bunch of balls fall out and the hub fall out of the knuckle. My wheel bearing self-destructed. It had no play and didn't emit the usual constant whirring that I'm used to.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like FAG bearings, often if you ask you can get them from a local parts store, sometimes they are less expensive than the “premium” Chinese garbage.

Second choice is Timken.