EGT probe placement

coues7

I have a 2003 alh with the stock turbo. I did an egr delete this weekend. While I was there I pulled the intake manifold and cleaned that. Sure glad I did. It was heavily plugged. The vehicle has 125k on it.

While I was doing the egr delete I added a boost gauge and egt (pyrometer). I searched and searched and searched and found lots of talk, but no real pics, until after the fact. What I did find was, drill between the 2 R’s in Garret. This does not place the probe “in” the gas stream. It’s in the throat the neck that goes to the egr (the part we blind off with the delete). To me it doesn’t seem to be “directly” in the stream of gas flow :(

Well now it’s drilled, installed and my New South egt gauge won’t even come off 600*F. Have I majorly screwed up?!?

Mine looks similar to the top picture except between the R’s instead of to the right of the second R.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=382175

coues7

I don’t know if the thermocouple is broke or if the thermocouple is too far out of the stream of exhaust gas. I’ve tested the thermocouple and it seems to read a bit low on millivolts. The meter was verified as working by hooking a 1.5v aa battery to it. That’s about 1600 mV and the meter goes to around 2200*f.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Have you tested the probe using a propane torch?
That would ensure that it is working at high temp.
If you have the usual 4-6" long probe it should be
getting pretty close to the hot exhaust stream.

coues7

I have not. I’m going to test that next. The probe was a straight one. I bent it 90* so I could get it in. The port that would feed gas back to the egr is only 1” in diameter. The probe was 6” long. Only the very end it in the hole.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
They can be bent but gently and try to keep the radius as wide as will still fit.
The further depth the better. The bend should be inside the manifold, too.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I too bent an angle on an EGT probe, and it did not work any longer. I will guess your 90* bend killed your probe like I killed mine. If you do need to replace yours, they are $10.95 on fleebay.

coues7

They can be bent but gently and try to keep the radius as wide as will still fit.
The further depth the better. The bend should be inside the manifold, too.
What do you mean the bend should be inside the manifold too? Did I drill in the wrong spot? If I bend inside the Mansfield, it won’t fit through the machines portion of the bung that screws into the manifold. The bend I did on the outside was very long and swooping.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Is the above part the one that is drilled on a precise angle to get the probe as deep as is possible into the manifold w/o touching the inside of the manifold itself?

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
https://www.idparts.com/exhaust-turbo-manifold-block-off-plate-egt-port-p-3070.html
There is a product that is pre bent for your car. I have this setup with no problems in 9 years.
Unfortunately, putting the probe there reduces the temp and response time
unless you have a really long probe.
This is well documented and I proved it to myself by relocating my standard
length probe correctly. The difference is like night and day.
I'm sure it works good enough as long as you aren't stressing your turbo with a
lot of fuel and load. But in that case you could do without the gauge.

For the OP's issue, if you are only poking the probe in a short way you may need
to bend it enough so you can insert it more fully into the exhaust stream.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
OP, if you bent the 6" probe at anything close to a sharp 90, the probe is junk and you need a new probe. With the probe placed between the 2 R's, that gives you a pretty accurate EGT reading. Buy a new shorter probe and place it where you driled the hole, it should work fine.