2004 Jetta TDI cranks, but won't start

Leahhp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I am in need of some serious help!

So I was driving my Jetta down the road and it started to slow down. I had a problem with a hose coming off previously so I decided to pull over into a gas station (that I was conveniently next to) to check it. Before I could turn my Jetta turned off and would not start back up. I've never experienced running out of fuel before, but I'm pretty sure my car was not getting fuel (it did have a quarter tank). It does crank but will not start.

What I've done so far....

I replaced relay 109. Which didn't work.

The fuses were all good.

I replaced the fuel filter. I checked the fuel line when I turned the key and nothing came out.

So I checked the fuel pump. When I turned the key there was no humming noise. I pulled the pump and yes it was gross. I cleaned it up really well and put it back in and now I can hear the hum. (Note: I have ordered a new fuel pump and am not relying on the "cleaned" one.)

I checked the fuel line at the filter and when I turn the key fuel pours out.

That must not have been the full problem because my car is still not starting.

I am draining the tank and flushing the fuel pump and fuel system tonight to see if it was fuel contamination.

Any suggestions if that does not work?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If it had been starved for fuel, there may be air in the passages in the head that supply the injectors.

Try this:

Remove the glowplugs, which will make the engine crank fast, but won't start.

Crank the engine for a up to about 20 seconds. You should see very obvious puffs of diesel mist coming out of the glowplug holes, once fuel reaches the injectors and the air is purged out. If you don't see puffs of mist, then give the starter a couple minutes to rest and try again.

Then put the glowplugs back in and it should start right up. If you crank it for more than 30 seconds total, and you don't get any fuel mist coming out the glowplug holes, you've likely got a problem other than just air.

Trying to do the same thing without removing the glowplugs will take a LOT of cranking, could damage the starter or drain your battery. Purging air out of the injectors is much quicker and easier when they are pumping against nothing. When they're pumping against the full compression of the engine, it'll take forever.

Last edited:

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Bleed

Easier to do would be, to loose the nut at the injectors, crank until diesel starts leaking out. Tie it back up voila! done.
Make sure when your engine is cold wash it with degreaser, you don't want the smell of diesel make you think there is a leak.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Easier to do would be, to loose the nut at the injectors, crank until diesel starts leaking out. Tie it back up voila! done.
Make sure when your engine is cold wash it with degreaser, you don't want the smell of diesel make you think there is a leak.
2004 has a Pumpe Duse engine.

Ain't no loosening any nuts on that...

Should be the same as your 2005 Jetta. Go look under the hood. What nuts are you going to loosen?

Last edited:

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Not all 2004s are PD My procedure is for ALH only. My sister has a 2004 ALH

Lose the nuts from the fuel line on top of the injectors IF YOU HAVE AN ALH

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Not all 2004s are PD My procedure is for ALH only. My sister has a 2004 ALH

Lose the nuts from the fuel line on top of the injectors IF YOU HAVE AN ALH

Your sister does not have a 04 ALH, unless it was a swapped in replacement for the original PD engine.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes she does have an ALH Production date is December 2003. Don't tell me what you don't know. I have 5 different TDis I work on all of them. The picture I provided is for illustration only where the nuts for the ALH injectors are.
A car produced in 2003 is considered a 2004.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Based on the mention of the "hum" of the in-tank fuel pump, it is most likely that OP has a Pumpe Duse engine. An ALH would not have that pump unless it was added after-market.

I have a 2004 TDI built in late 2003, but it has the PD engine. I took delivery on January 18, 2004, so you have to imagine it was made a few months before that. It would have taken a while to ship it from Brazil all the way up to me in Canada.

I believe wagons were still made in Germany at the time, Golfs were made in Brazil, and Jettas were made in Mexico. Is your sister's car a wagon or jetta by any chance? I wonder if certain plants switched over to the PD engine a bit later than others.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh

Hers is a Jetta. I don't like the ones made in Brazil for some reason. The Golf was made in Germany if I am not mistaken.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My Golf was made in Brazil. Many of the parts say "Indusria Brasileria" or something like that. The engine said it was made in Germany.

I remember at the time being told that only the wagons were made in Germany. I would have actually preferred one of those, but they were an extra $6000 and I couldn't afford that at the time. I'm guessing the extra cost was the "Made in Germany" premium.

I'm pretty sure Jettas were made at the Puebla, Mexico plant at that time.

Leahhp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I think my engine is a BEW. Part number 038 103 373 AB. Manufactured in April 04

Last edited:

Leahhp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Car has new fuel and everything has been flushed. The lines have been cleared of air. Still no start.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Leahhp, how many miles on the engine?

Have you ever inspected the cam?

When was the TB changed last?

I only have experience on one BEW engine. A little over two years ago, the guy's began to be a hard to starter (lots of cranking) but otherwise ran good.

The lift pump was locked. I cleaned it and re-installed. It functioned just fine while we waited for the new pump (just a pump, not the complete assembly). The new pump has worked great.

Seems that engine had about 140k miles on it!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
A faulty crank shaft position sensor or its attached cable could cause a no-start. The three fine wires that the cable consists of are prone to heat damage. Try wiggling the cable; that worked for me until the replacement sensor was installed by me.

Leahhp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have about 230k on my car. The cam looks good. I havent replaced the tb since I got the car 4 years ago. Just checked it and...when I crank it the timing belt is not moving

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If the timing belt is not moving you have stripped teeth down around the crankshaft and every time you crank it the valves and pistons hit each other.

If the timing belt is indeed not moving you’ll have to at least replace the head.

Leahhp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Just pulled the belt and it was stripped :( still trying to determine the extent of the damage. Will advise

Leahhp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yup been there done that, learned a lot, wasn’t anywhere near as fun as others have said.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477509
Thanks for the link! The amount of teeth on mine that are missing is just like yours except there isn't any other damage besides that. I suppose I should start looking for another engine.... :( My timing belt kit comes in today, but I guess it will do no good if I have bigger problems.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
No visible damage until you pull the head and see all the shiny circles where the valves hit the pistons. You’ll need a new head or rebuild your own. I elected to change out the engine because I found a good deal on one but when I put a new cam in it any savings went out the window.

There was a guy that had a low mileage BEW posted for sale here on the forum. Around 125k miles and about $800 I think he was around Philadelphia somewhere. You might try searching the classifieds here on the forum.

Last edited: