Rear Window Side Spoilers

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
My first Sportwagen mod. In Europe these come on the GTD, R, and Bluemotion wagons. In theory they help airflow around the back of the car decreasing the drag coefficient. I'm guessing the results will be hard to measure but if nothing else I feel better knowing they are back there. I'm hoping for some improvement in keeping the rear window cleaner as well.

The part numbers are:
5G9 805 945 041
5G9 805 946 041

I got them off of http://e-acca.com/. They were about $100 for the pair and are genuine VW parts.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I saw a similar type spoilers installed factory on a nissan rouges.

Did you just prep the surface and stick them on? I did read a sealer should be used some places, not sure thou.

I did pick up a pair hope it keeps the rear glass a little cleaner.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
You do see similar versions on other US cars too--I know the Honda minivan.

Yes, just got the surfaces cleaned and stuck them on. You have to make sure you get them aligned right the first time, one they're on they're on. One side isn't quite as perfect as I'd like but it's still pretty close. I did see those instructions you are referring to regarding the sealant. I really don't see a purpose, seems like you'd have a better chance at creating a mess. VW installs similar spoilers on US GTI's and R's and I didn't see any sealant on those.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Any follow up info on how the side fins are holding up after a year? Have you noticed any issues with the supplied mounting tape? I am about to install a set and want to make sure they won't be flying off on the highway due to lousy body tape or something like that.

thanks,

Paul

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I installed a pair of ebay spoilers over a year ago and they are holding up just fine. I did replace the supplied tape with 3M super strength molding tape.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
That website is awesome http://e-acca.com thank you I really like that site.

In case others are looking for a place to look up european part numbers use www.7zap.com the two sites together are a perfect match

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've had mine installed for about 8 months, still stuck on an no signs of coming off. Can't say it keeps the rear window any cleaner though, but I did get 5HP boost after mounting them.

I do notice some possible swirl marks from cleaning, nothing that a coat of wax couldn't cure.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Any follow up info on how the side fins are holding up after a year? Have you noticed any issues with the supplied mounting tape? I am about to install a set and want to make sure they won't be flying off on the highway due to lousy body tape or something like that.

thanks,

Paul

No issues with mine! The mounting tape on the OEM fins is pretty good stuff.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Just installed mine...

Also from e-acca..

Decide to wrap the upper spoiler with some gloss black vinyl to match the side spoilers

Last edited: