2004 Jetta TDI Intake Hose.

mat111

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Hello,

Did an oil change today and the Mechanic told me that my "Intake Hose is starting to come off - common for intake tabs to snap off". There is oil leaking from around the Intake hose.

I inquired if the entire Intake hose needs to be replaced or just the Clamp. The Mechanic said he is not sure - because he did not clean the oil around hose to check if the hose is "ok/not damaged" or a worn out Clamp - which would require additional money to inspect, I was in a hurry.. so declined the inspection.

After coming home, I checked the Intake hose and I did see some oil spill and the Clamp is not firmly secured - but is not falling off either. I mostly drive on Highways and I am certain that my car is not losing any power ( at least I did not feel it yet ).

My question's are the following;

- How much does an Intake Hose cost?
- How much does a Clamp cost?
- I called the VW dealer in Hamilton,ON and they are quoting a price of $ CAD 300 for parts and labor.
- Is there a website I can order online in Canada/Ontario? I saw some based in USA, but USD conversion to CAD, and shipping costs are offsetting the savings compared to VW Dealer.

- Thank you for reading and would appreciate any helpful suggestions.
- Best Wishes,
Matt

Last edited:

mat111

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Hello,

Thank you both - Fruitcakesa and Maxmoo for your kind help.

Maxmoo, I am sorry, although you say "this / or this" but should I order both of them?

- Thanks
Matt

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Hello,

Thank you both - Fruitcakesa and Maxmoo for your kind help.

Maxmoo, I am sorry, although you say "this / or this" but should I order both of them?

- Thanks
Matt
One or the other. A new hose will have new tabs, so it'll hold properly, for a while.

Just get the "doggie collar" repair kit to keep your old hose from popping out. That is a permanent fix.

Looks like this when installed:

It's also available from other vendors, so take your pick depending what is more convenient for you. (For example, if you want to order more things, maybe one place has things you want, one doesn't, shipping costs may be different, etc...)

https://www.idparts.com/upper-intercooler-to-egr-hose-collar-fix-kit-a4-bew-p-3654.html

http://www.kermatdi.com/pumpe-duse-intake-hose-manifold-connection-fix/

http://www.fixmyvw.com/the-doggie-collar-for-bew-engines/

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
grind off the old tabs, drill 3mm holes dead center where the tabs used to reside, thread a 4mm allen bolt into each hole until the bottom of the bolt head is firmly seated against the hose collar (no tap required) then use a dremel or grinding disc to reshape the head of the bolt so it approximates the original barb... this fix is less than $1, is permanent, and the hose is easily disconnected like the original design

Last edited:

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Dog collar fixed mine, just put a new o-ring on the hose before putting back together.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Mat111's signature shows 03 TDI
Am I missing where he indicated it's a BEW, not an ALH
Will the BEW clamp work on the ALH with the band clamp?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's what I was thinking, too. I wonder what hose the mechanic is referring to. Intake from the airbox to the turbo? Intake manifold hose? Could be any number of hoses.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Says 04 in the title, maybe he hasn’t updated his vehicles since he joined in 09.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We keep those collar kits on the shelf for the BEWs, I have probably installed 100+ of them over the years, they work great.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
jimbote's mod did not work for me after several attempts. I just replaced the hose a couple of years ago, and just yesterday, changed the clamp due to some oil seepage on the underlying pipe. If this does not hold I will go the doggie collar route.

mat111

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
It was an old signature that I forgot to change.

Mine is a 2004 Jetta TDI. Just changed Sig as well.

Keen eye. Thanks. :)

mat111

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Thanks all for the responses.

Is there a reliable TDI Mech in GTA?

I am coming across Mech shops in Hamilton, ON that are intent on ripping off - one guy saw the oil leak and told me that the engine is messed up and needs $800 to fix !

- Thanks.
Matt
437 981 5786

mat111

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Ok. After going thru the immense resources in this forum ( God bless the Owner/Admins ). I found one in Hamilton... Bittner's auto on Concession ( http://www.bittnersauto.net ). I think I will visit this garage Monday next and see what price they quote.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Thanks all for the responses.

Is there a reliable TDI Mech in GTA?

I am coming across Mech shops in Hamilton, ON that are intent on ripping off - one guy saw the oil leak and told me that the engine is messed up and needs $800 to fix !

- Thanks.
Matt
437 981 5786
I would recomend and trust Perjad at Precision tuning, if he's not too far for you.
http://www.precisiontuning.ca/