02 jetta wagon tdi automatic or 06 Jetta sedan manual

gq1

TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 97 F250 7.3
I am looking at finally entering the tdi realm and want the best bang for my buck.

Found on 02 jetta wagon automatic with 250k
and an 06 sedan with the 250k also but manual, both priced similar.
Also found an 05 wagon also automatic but priced higher.

Question is whether I should hold out for a manual on the wagon and just get an 06 or find an 03 sedan?

Or something completely different?

Thanks

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I loved my 02 wagon but the auto trans finally lost reverse and I replaced it with an 04 wagon with manual trans.
I was a little leery getting into a PD engined car after the very reliable ALH motor in my other cars but am now, totally satisfied with the car.
The 06 also has a PD motor and can have its issues, which you might want to familiarize yourself with before you look at the car so you know what to look out for.
If you are satisfied with the car's condition, go for the manual trans car

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Which one fits your lifestyle? This is in regard to wagon or sedan as well as manual or automatic. Is anybody else going to drive it? Can they deal with 3 pedals?

gq1

TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 97 F250 7.3
Definitely leaning towards a wagon. Found an 03 w 220k and an 05 w 140k both manual. 03 is prettier w leather. Apples to apples, why would you choose one year over the other? Handling, comfort, mpg, etc? Just on mileage alone I would want to say 05 but I would like to hear from someone who may have owned both.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Do not buy the automatic. It takes a lot of the TDI benefits away: relaxed highway cruising, costs about 10 MPG, and driving a manual with the TDI torque is a joy.

Wagons are the best, absolutely. But find a manual.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
ALH wagons are so good that it would be worth it to buy it with the auto and do
the manual transplant as soon as the 01M wears out. You may even find that you like it.