Battery drain

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I have a battery drain on my 2001 jetta. Getting 0.19-0.20 amp draw. I have pulled the fuses from the fuse block and nothing. Pulled the green fuses at battery and nothing. Also disconnected the black wire (alt.) And nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I have been searcging the forums for hours trying to figure this out and nothing thus far.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Because your car has various modules that need to go to sleep... and will wake up if you pull fuses... the "fuse pulling with a meter in series" method of finding a rogue current drain won't work very well, if at all.

Instead, Volkswagen put out an official Technical Service Bulletin that uses your multimeter in mV mode to measure current in each circuit with all the fuses in place and the car undisturbed for several hours (so that everything goes to sleep and stay asleep): :)

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/TSB_27_08_04_Matrix.pdf

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Wow , Vince is that bulletin in the 101 section or a sticky? I’ve never seen it before.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
How long does the car sit unused before it will not start or what is going on?

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
In about 2-3 days it wont start cause of the drain depending on the weather. If i leave it for a week its stone dead. If its really cold outside like -35 Celsius it will crank too slow to catch after about 8 hours while im at work.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow , Vince is that bulletin in the 101 section or a sticky? I’ve never seen it before.
Don't think it's a sticky, but it's been archived as a pdf in the documents side of the pictures server for a while now.

I've probably pointed about 100 folks to it, over the years.... every time I see a "I've pulled fuses and..." thread. :) :)

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
The amplifier, if it has a Monsoon radio, may be the problem. It is a common problem. Pull the radio fuse and see if it goes away. My son has the same problem on his '05 Beetle and it will crank the next morning if he pulls the fuse and is dead if he doesn't.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a battery drain on my 2001 jetta. Getting 0.19-0.20 amp draw.
I can't believe the above draw kills the battery that fast.
If its a bad battery maybe.
Can you try disconnecting the battery to see if it holds a charge?
Measure the battery voltage when disconnected and before reconnecting.
I assume this is your only car and need it to get to work.
You mentioned having "disconnected the black wire (alt.)"
Can you disconnect it at the fuse box on top of the battery and check for a current draw from the battery to that black wire?
I'm thinking possible bad diode in the alternator.

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Yeah ill try that tonight. I did isolate the alt and didnt change the draw. its not really my only car but its my daily. I have a truck but shes a pig on fuel lol. It drains it in about 3 days. But when its really cold out it will drain it enough for me to just get a few cranks but its too slow for it to catch.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also the battery is new and has been tested
And its the correct group 94R battery?
I'm running out of ideas.
When you checked the fuses inside the drivers side door did you latch the door closed with a big screw driver to shut the lights?
Some modules stay on for a while so you still have to wait a bit, maybe 5 minutes. (unless someone knows otherwise)

Last edited:

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Door is closed. So my drain is after the relay box on the 30 terminal on the bottom where the 2 wires come off. Also i have every fuse in the fuse panel out and im down to 0.16 amps so something is still draining. Unplugged ignition switch and multi function switch and got nothing. I have been unplugging switches and have gotten no where. Im starting to think i might have a wire that has rubbed through somewhere

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check under and around the battery tray, there are a couple of wires there that get rubbed. Also why you have that tray off clean up the grounds, probably won’t help with your issue but it’s good preventative maintenance.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, once you've eliminated the usual I guess one has to move on to the unusual. :)

160 mA with the car fast asleep for several hours is a bit more than is usually reported, but I am a little surprised that small a draw is flat-lining your new battery overnight.

In any event, I wonder if there's some "after market" wiring somewhere that's missing on the fuse tests. Common suspects might be:

- aftermarket stereo
- aftermarket subwoofer amp
- aftermarket CD changer in the trunk
- powered trailer wiring adapter
- GPS tracker under a seat somewhere, radar detector, backup camera, dash cam kinda stuff

Random thoughts!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Excessively dirty battery?
I thought that TSB covered this situation, of course I haven't read it.

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Wires from battery to relay box are good. The battery will be stone dead after 3 days. Overnight it will drain enough for a slow crank but not fast enough to start but has to be very cold outside. Right now it will fire up in the mornings but i wanna fix it before we get another cold snap. I have aftermarked stereo and subs but disconnected all of it and no change. It has aftermarker fog lights from the previous owner but i disconnected them cause the relay is toast. I also have aftermarket hid headlights disconnected them and no change. My radar, dash cam all that crap is disconnected. I just cant win with this thing haha.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The amplifier, if it has a Monsoon radio, may be the problem. It is a common problem. Pull the radio fuse and see if it goes away. My son has the same problem on his '05 Beetle and it will crank the next morning if he pulls the fuse and is dead if he doesn't.
Ok so just unplugged the amplifier and thats not it

This was where my drain was coming from as well.
I wired in a relay to trigger the amp on when the key is switched.
Might be worth it to do this anyway.

Edit: Just saw that you disconnected the entire system...

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Yeah my fog lights are completely isolated. I pulled the wires off when i found out they didnt work. I pulled the ground wire for my hid relay as well. No change.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So you draw close to 200 mA after 2 hours of sitting, but we still need to isolate it.
Did you try disconnecting the big wire to the alternator? Starter?
We did pull the big fuses on the battery, still draining after 2 hours. Is that fuse holder clean (it would have to be pretty crappy to draw current with the fuses out)?

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I figured the drain is inside the car. On the relay box if i disconnect the wires fron terminal 30 the drain goes away. Everything in the engine bay is good.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Is the alarm working? If it is then it is ready for sleep. It seems like the car is not going to sleep. If i remember correctly pre-sleep draw is close to .2amp. Door and or hood switches as well as the factory radio not being seated in place properly are all things that will keep it from going to sleep.

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
As far as i know alarm works fine. Honks when armed. Does the alarm have its own module? Or is it throigh ths comfort module? On these cars

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
It was low but not really low. If that nakes sense. Its a napa legend i cant remember the number or the cca. It has a high cca number from what i can remember. Ill have to check it.