MK6 JETTA Drivers Door won't unlock

Cesar F.

TDI
2001 and 2011 Jetta Highline
Hi everyone after that morning rain a few days ago and snow and extreme cold in the afternoon and after my drivers door would not open. After 3 hrs of driving with full heat I managed to open it! (was getting in and out through passenger door). However once locked it won't open and the inside handle gets so stiff that I am concerned if I break it. I sprayed WD-40 and other grease product, nothing worked.
Has anyone experienced this? I plan to take it apart however I don't have a garage and doing this outside is not the best time. Just wanted to know if someone experienced this and what solved it.
Thank you and sorry for the long text.

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
Sounds familiar to an issue I had on my Passat. Turned out a micro switch internal to the door needed to be replaced. I didn't believe it at first when they told me, but as soon as they replaced the internal micro switch all these problems went away.

For sure I thought it was more mechanical as the door handle, as you say, was so stiff I thought it was frozen or locked up somehow.

May not be the same for you, but the issue sounds identical.

Cesar F.

TDI
Thanks COSMO_TDI, my door opens freely now ever since above 0 degrees, going to take it apart when weather permits.
How much was the fix for your issue?

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
I had mine covered under extended warranty, so for me, no charge at all :D

I hope for you its rather minor, but it could still be related to that micro switch, even if it was frozen in some way.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
A form of this issue happened with our '06 last year. The lock would just spin around and wouldn't unlock the door when it was really cold. So what I did was remove anything valuable from the car and keep it unlocked. Maybe try doing that for the next little while.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have a no unlock problem but I think mine is definitely from water freezing in the mechanical, lock mechanism.

It will open electrically with the key though, but not mechanically with the key from the outside. Like you WD 40 and sealing the key flap doesn't work.

From what Cosmo said the water may also be affecting your switch and that is why you have the symtoms you have.

Cesar F.

TDI
So for sure I have moisture in the lock soimewhere because if its not freezing temperatures door operates perfectly, as soon as it hits -5 I have to use passenger door lol

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
So for sure I have moisture in the lock soimewhere because if its not freezing temperatures door operates perfectly, as soon as it hits -5 I have to use passenger door lol
Check the drain holes at the bottom of the door.